High end steaks

Anyone ever order from a service like this?

https://kowsteaks.com/butchershop/

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

My god, you can buy a whole cow cheaper.

Had some of their Tritip over the weekend and it was really good. Coastal Cupboard was having a demo day.

I’ve never ordered from that particular place but if I am ordering Wagyu, I’m ordering it from Snake River Farms. https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/

ARD, you can’t buy “a whole” American Wagyu “cow” cheaper. That’s like pricing an Aston Martin and then saying you can buy a Kia cheaper.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

About 10 years ago I tried some of the Kobe or it might have been a Wagyu beef. Bought it from a fancy grocery store out by Kiawah. They were selling fresh steaks that had incredible marbling, literally a 50/50 ratio of red to white marbling. Without a doubt it was killer. Very expensive, but so rich you thought you were eating Foie Gras. When it’s the real deal nothing wrong with a once in a life time splurge. 75-100 bucks a steak is steep, but like I said it was worth every bite. Just make sure the steaks are not frozen, the sight says nothing about it. It would be a shame, if it was. You will see some fancy steak houses selling the Kobe or Wagyu by the ounce. No way in hell I could afford the restaurant prices. A three to five ounce steak could run a couple hundred and you would need to grab a burger on the way home. I’d rather hit a decent sized adult portion of prime before I did that. PS I have herd rumors that they feed those cows beer and give them massages to relax them. I don’t know if it’s true but I herd it.:smiley:

Here’s a good deal. $100 savings…

https://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Filet-Mignons-Steaks%2C-A5-Grade%2C-8-count%2C-6-oz%2C-3-lbs..product.100470189.html

quote:
Originally posted by runbabyrun

About 10 years ago I tried some of the Kobe or it might have been a Wagyu beef. Bought it from a fancy grocery store out by Kiawah. They were selling fresh steaks that had incredible marbling, literally a 50/50 ratio of red to white marbling. Without a doubt it was killer. Very expensive, but so rich you thought you were eating Foie Gras. When it’s the real deal nothing wrong with a once in a life time splurge. 75-100 bucks a steak is steep, but like I said it was worth every bite. Just make sure the steaks are not frozen, the sight says nothing about it. It would be a shame, if it was. You will see some fancy steak houses selling the Kobe or Wagyu by the ounce. No way in hell I could afford the restaurant prices. A three to five ounce steak could run a couple hundred and you would need to grab a burger on the way home. I’d rather hit a decent sized adult portion of prime before I did that. PS I have herd rumors that they feed those cows beer and give them massages to relax them. I don’t know if it’s true but I herd it.:smiley:

Kobe beef is Wagyu, but not all Wagyu(Japanese cows) is Kobe. Several varieties of Wagyu out there. Not sure about the massage thing, but yes some are fed beer to increase appetite. I was given a few steaks from a farm in Georgia that sells and raises Wagyu. Incredible stuff. It was purebred not full blood though as are most American raised wagyu.

I’m with you runbabyrun, it’s a good splurge, but not a practical thing! Cholesterol content is out the roof!

Thanks for that Fred. I need to study up on my beef:smiley: You have good knowledge. I haven’t looked into it to much but the most of the sites are showing it ships frozen. Would be nice if Captain Fritz could find somewhere local that sells it fresh so he could see the marbling. The eyes don’t lie and when you see that white feathering you know you are in for something special. Certain cuts also play a role. A filet, sirloin or flank is going to have less marbling than say a ribeye. Picking out good steaks go a long way as well, they don’t all look the same. Find the good ones. Center cuts. Then preparing them properly with a good sear, good olive oil and a nice crust of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Cooking to the right temp. Resting the steak, letting it cool before cutting is also very important. Cook um up:smiley: Maybe he can find a local butcher shop that can order it fresh.

I know exactly where my beef is raised. Y’all keep that fancy ,oriental , high dollar 5hit. Fred, keep your Mexican stuff too.

Just like champagne being named for the (and having to originate from) Champagne region in France, true Kobe beef must’ve originated from the Kobe region in Japan.

https://www.steaksandgame.com/the-difference-between-wagyu-and-kobe-beef-15656

As far as how they’re cared for (beer, massages, stress-free environment…), it’s true, especially in Kobe. As others have said, Wagyu/Kobe isn’t practical (for most) to be the beef you stock the freezer with but it is absolutely worth it for that special occasion. I can say the one Wagyu brisket (Gold A5) I have ever had was the absolute most succulent and most tender brisket I’ve ever eaten but at over $200 for a 14lbs brisket, it’s not going to be the brisket I cook on a regular basis. Now if I was a competitive/professional cooker on the BBQ circuit, I’d spend that money because I believe the end product (what you get paid on) is better.

RBR, I do agree proper handling (cooking and resting) goes a long way to the quality of the end product. I’ve actually gotten away from cooking hot and fast. Now, I cook all of my steaks using the reverse sear method. I prefer nothing thinner than 1.5" thick for reverse searing. Cook the steak low and slow (225 for around an hour) until the internal temp is around 115 degrees. Then, get my sear plate up to 900 degrees. After it’s to temp, I cook the steak for 30-45 second per side (for medium rare…IT of around 130) and then pull them and let them rest for 10-15 minutes. Tender, juicy and even doneness from top to bottom.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

quote:

Thanks for that Fred. I need to study up on my beef:smiley: You have good knowledge. I haven’t looked into it to much but the most of the sites are showing it ships frozen. Would be nice if Captain Fritz could find somewhere local that sells it fresh so he could see the marbling. The eyes don’t lie and when you see that white feathering you know you are in for something special. Certain cuts also play a role. A filet, sirloin or flank is going to have less marbling than say a ribeye. Picking out good steaks go a long way as well, they don’t all look the same. Find the good ones. Center cuts. Then preparing them properly with a good sear, good olive oil and a nice crust of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Cooking to the right temp. Resting the steak, letting it cool before cutting is also very important. Cook um up:smiley: Maybe he can find a local butcher shop that can order it fresh.

I've been enjoying the prime ribeye cap steaks from Costco

Good call, Fritz! I enjoyed some Costco ribeye cap steaks myself, this past weekend. Absolutely my favorite cut of steak on ANY cow.

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

I know exactly where my beef is raised. Y’all keep that fancy ,oriental , high dollar 5hit. Fred, keep your Mexican stuff too.

You sound so hateful? Why? Life is Good! I’ve raised and eaten Belted Galloway, but prefer Angus.

Mexican Beef give you that much of a boner? LOL, Learn what to look for and how to purchase and you’d be surprised how inexpensive and good it can be. Never said that it was my go to, but it’s not as bad as most would like to think it is. :smiley: Statistically more people have gotten sick over American beef in the last 10 years than Mexican.

I’d make a wager with you that you would not be able to taste the difference in Mexican vs American mass produced ground beef. I wouldn’t wager on steak though.

Why Bruce?.. the ramblings of a disillusioned Hillary supporter.

quote:

I believe Fred could witness trump pissing on an old homeless lady, and he’d tell him he’s doing a hell of a job, really soaking her.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz
quote:

[ _______________________

with the pics you just posted, I wouldn’t worry about the super high end stuff. that looks fantastic.

No hate Freddie, I prefer to pick mine outta the pasture, instead of the WinnDixie meat department. I’ll take you up on the ground beef challenge, anytime .

Those are beltie/angus cross in that picture, just over 5 months old.

quote:

No hate Freddie, I prefer to pick mine outta the pasture, instead of the WinnDixie meat department. I’ll take you up on the ground beef challenge, anytime .

The closest on in the pic kinda looks like it was crossed with a pig.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz
quote:

[ _______________________

with the pics you just posted, I wouldn’t worry about the super high end stuff. that looks fantastic.

Costco offers a very good selection in their meat department. Typically, at least at the Costco up here, they only offer the cap steaks in USDA Prime. E

quote:

I’ve had steaks, raised locally, from both, Belted Galloways, and Angus. What’s the advantage of cross breeding the two?

Beautiful herd!!

Cap steak salads tonight. Follow my cook

https://cooks.cloud.meater.com/cook/4416cf4d-801e-4315-ae5f-a10e4a733af8

Funny:smiley: I have been buying that prime from Costco as well. I have bought the thick cut sirloin a couple of times and used it. The meat and potatoes thread I posted a few weeks back that was prime Costco sirloin that I cooked for a couple of friends at the house. They do a great job cutting their beef and to feed prime steak to a whole party for 60 bucks can’t be beat. I agree that the rib cap is where it’s at. Beautiful piece of meet that nobody really knows about. You can remove it whole from the entire rib roast and it looks like a flank steak. We used to call it the deckle otherwise also known as butchers butter. I called around, Teds butcher block in Charleston told me they sell fresh Wagu NY strip for 48.00 a pound. If you get a 10-12 ounce steak it wouldn’t be too bad:smiley: