Holiday Trips

Have made three trips with my daughter over the Holidays with mixed results.

1. 12/26/14- Went to Whitewater Reef in search of bull reds and doormat flounder. With mild NE winds, it was a cold and choppy. Of course, we left heavy jackets at home since it was “hot” at the dock with no wind. I do not know how many times I have made this same mistake. Note to self- always take heavy jacket during the winter.We used large jigs and anchored over structures and drifted with no hits. Several other boats fishing and did not see any hook-ups.

2. 12/28/14- Returned to Whitewater to try again. Much calmer but heavy fog. Only one other boat fishing. Tide was about slack and we slowly drifted around many parts of reef. No hits or fish activity seen. Went over to Sav. Rock Pile and had no luck. By that time current was ripping. So much for the bull reds and flounder. I wish them well.

3. 1/2/15- Headed out to Port Royal Sound for reds and trout at dead low. Stayed on a small school of reds for about 1 1/2 hours before it started to rain. Caught about 14 reds, with one 25" and one 26". Most caught on Gulp minnows and around 5 on a fly rod using a crab fly. Had a great trip!!:smiley:

Miss Libby 2
26’ World Cat

Man that’s slick water! Nice fish, cute girl, I know your proud!

Nice report, good job Russell. Small school of Reds has been the normal for me so far this winter, seems not as many schools around as normal. Same pattern last year.

www.fishincoach.com