Honey Bees, Cool Pic

Good thing we didn’t need to operate this switch in Substation…

NN

Dang. I wonder, do they eventually go away on their own or do they have to be removed?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

All the workers following the queen, while she looks for a nesting spot. I’ve only seen that twice in my life.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I had a swarm on our campus last week,called a local beekeeper to come get them. He said they would send out scouts to look for a new hive location and the swarm would then re-located to that spot.I wanted to make sure I did my part to help out the honeybees!

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

All the workers following the queen, while she looks for a nesting spot. I’ve only seen that twice in my life.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Scout bees look for new nesting location, a queen is very rarely seen, as she is covered by tens of thousands of bees. A swarm can be captured, and placed in a new hive, but the queen would be the old one from the existing hive.

Ive had two swarm already, one last week, and the week before that.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Dang. I wonder, do they eventually go away on their own or do they have to be removed?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

They can hang out like that for several days, or several hours, depends on how quick the scout bees find a new location.

If you want to recapture, its very easy, being close to the ground helps.

Are bee keepers bouncing back from that massive kill off due to the county spraying for mosquitos?

And are there concerns that that will occur again when they try to prevent mosquitos,zeeka etc.?

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro

Are bee keepers bouncing back from that massive kill off due to the county spraying for mosquitos?

And are there concerns that that will occur again when they try to prevent mosquitos,zeeka etc.?

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

That aerial spraying only hit lower Dorchester County, mainly over the Summerville area.I have 5-7 hives in upper Dorchester area that weren't touched. We did have to cover with plastic when Mt Pleasant sprayed from the air, but I was given plenty of notice ahead of time. Communication is the key , Chas County is flawless, Dorchester County .......not so.

Zika panic is way overblown, there cannot be a widespread outbreak unless the virus takes hold in the local Aedes aegypti mosquito population, highly unlikely to happen.Now I don’t advise pregnant women to fly to Central America and vacation for 3 months.

Had this happen at neighbors house a couple years ago. Very cool. DO NOT KILL THEM!! They will leave on their own

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

Dang I wish that happened in my yard we got a hive box in a raffle and need the bees now! Pretty cool sight!

It is not enough information to be sure, but, if people are seeing more natural swarms that means our native bee populations may be figuring out/evolving in some ways that will enable them to recover from the hive collapse syndrome that started a decade or so back.

When a hive gets over populated, it breeds one or a few new queens. The new queens literally battle to the death leaving one new queen and the original queen. One of them leaves the hive and 1/4 to 1/2 of the hive will go with her. That is what you’re seeing as the traveling queen lights on resting place, the remaining entourage literally sits on/around her and you get that clump. They are extremely docile during this. We used to keep bees and you can literally slowly and gently scrape the clump into a cardboard box and start a new hive. If you get the queen in the box and leave a way in, the rest of the bees will move to join her. Then, move that box to a real hive box and you have a new hive.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25
http://www.ulmerboatworks.com

quote:
Originally posted by fishcrazy

Dang I wish that happened in my yard we got a hive box in a raffle and need the bees now! Pretty cool sight!

Here you go........or,I'll trade honey for that box?

http://www.draperbee.com/beesupplies/Package_Bee_Prices.htm

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2120832-robotic-bee-could-help-pollinate-crops-as-real-bees-decline/

RBF

Got a buddy that got 8 new hives last week Picking them up off the side of the road in trees!

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

It is not enough information to be sure, but, if people are seeing more natural swarms that means our native bee populations may be figuring out/evolving in some ways that will enable them to recover from the hive collapse syndrome that started a decade or so back.

Wasn’t it some kind of parasite or was it a fungus that about wiped out our wild bees? I remember 12 or so years ago the guy at Bee City talking about something other than pesticides killing the bees.

Polly??

“Why Bruce?”

My opinion is lack of proper maintenance of the hive itself. One of the biggest issue is hive beetles,they have to be removed by workers, as they’re to small for a bee sting . Beetle traps are an option, but they have to be checked regularly. If bees don’t store enough honey during winter , then supplemental feeding has to be done. You have to inspect the hive to find these issues, very time consuming .

I don’t know if there ever was one specific parasite or virus that caused the collapse of so many hives. I blame it on a variety of certain conditions and pests, the bees get tired of battling a tough enemy and starving at the same time, I’d haul ass too.

Thanks for the offer poly ball, but we want bees! We have 9 fruit trees, 4 types of berries, and a fairly large garden that they would help pollinate. Plus I have a local beekeeper that removes swarms and established colonies from homes that is going to try and hook us up for free!

The sad part is that there are a lot of folks who would come out of their house with a can of pesticide and spray it all over them!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

Poly Ball seriously knows what he is talking about bees…

quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke

Poly Ball seriously knows what he is talking about bees…

I was coached by the "bee guru".......

That guy has hives all over the state!