Horseshoe Crab recipe

Looking for a good horseshoe crab recipe. Please share your best.

Eating Horseshoe Crab

Eating Horseshoe Crab is a bit of an exagerration because there really isn’t anything about this odd looking creature which is edible apart from the eggs or roe. There are several ways in which you may be presented with the roe.

The most basic is when the whole Horseshoe Crab is grilled and then presented to you on a plate. With it laid on its back you peel back the underside of the shell from the front and extract the roe with a spoon and eat it. The roe varies in colour from orange to green and has its own special sea-like taste with a not unpleasant rubbery texture. Some say that the green eggs are to be avoided whereas others will eat both. As the eggs of the Atlantic species are mainly green in colour it is hardly wise advice if you travel or consume imported foods.

As an alternative to grilling, the whole Horseshoe Crab can be slowly immersed into boiling water for around three minutes. After removal it should be allowed to cool before the roe is removed and washed. The roe can then be mixed into salads such as ‘Yam Khai Maeng Da’ or Som Tam to give them an extra bite.

Alternatively the roe can be removed after cooking and mixed with egg to make an interesting and somewhat crunchy omlette

Bon Appetit[:0]:face_with_head_bandage::smiley:

Finally connected the dots:smiley:! Easy is actually an alias for Andrew Zimmer!!

You go man!! Please post pics.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Na! I wouldn’t eat half the stuff that guy shoves down! He would eat raw maggots if someone else was:dizzy_face:

Yuk! Yall got to be real hungry to even consider eating a horseshoe crab[:0] Even a Remora might be a little better than that! Jeez, if you’re that hungry just grub a few oysters. Even if it’s not the R months. Much better. We grew up poor, hungry and living off seafood, but horseshoe crabs were never on the menu. Right along with Remora. Yuk.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I can get you a deal on some Nuoc Mam sauce if you’re that hungry! Might make that crab taste better:face_with_head_bandage:

I eat most anything, but would have to be starved near to death to eat a Horseshoe Crab.

Besides, aren’t horseshoe crabs protected? I knew they used to have some experimental programs using their blood for cancer treatments. Also heard our Beach renourishment projects really put a strain on some of their breeding habits.

On a side note, the son and I were fishing near Otter Island and saw what I assume was a Horseshoe Crab orgy. Never saw so many in one area in all my life. Some of the biggest barnacle encrusted rascals I’ve ever saw.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
I eat most anything, but would have to be starved near to death to eat a Horseshoe Crab.

As long as that salt marsh is out there I’ll never get that hungry. You would have to be one stupid googan to starve in our salt marshes. Without eating horseshoe crabs.

quote:
the son and I were fishing near Otter Island and saw what I assume was a Horseshoe Crab orgy. Never saw so many in one area in all my life. Some of the biggest barnacle encrusted rascals I've ever saw.

I’ve only seen that once in my life. I reckon the sun, moon and stars all align just right and tell them it’s time to hook up :question:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
I can get you a deal on some Nuoc Mam sauce if you're that hungry! Might make that crab taste better

No thanks[:0] I haven’t smelled that in person in 42 years, but I can still smell it:dizzy_face:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

how about a menhaden stuffed toadfish served on a turtle flipper with seaweed and jellyfish we are getting silly at this point

[quote]Originally posted by Fred67

Besides, aren’t horseshoe crabs protected? I knew they used to have some experimental programs using their blood for cancer treatments. Also heard our Beach renourishment projects really put a strain on some of their breeding habits.

They’re blood is harvested for medical use. There is a guy here in the Beaufort area that brings in boat loads of them. He transports them somewhere to have some of their blood extracted. Then they are returned to the ocean. I think they have about a 90% survival rate from the proceedure.
A google search will give you more interesting facts on these creatures that are more closely related to scorpions than they are to crabs.

Here is the info on use of the crab’s blood.

www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/the-blood-harvest/284078/

I was unable to edit the post I made on use of the blood to remove advertisements. I apologize.

What a great message board. I learned something today and it came from this discussion. The ability to provide links is verification and a means to stimulate the imagination… It’s nice to have the time to read about the world I get to live in. Thanks for the information.

A lot of good information. Thanks!!!