How could this happen??

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/boat-runs-aground-on-sullivans-island-saturday-afternoon

Marsha
22 Sea Hunt

too many cold beers? was told they departed Tolers Cove at 1930 hours, yesterday.

Another one, but I guess I need to start wearing the lanyard.

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/boater-explains-how-his-boat-ended-up-driverless-in-the-stono-river

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

1 Like

I was going to suggest alcohol but got reprimanded the last time I suggested such on a grounding that bad. I think it was lemonade.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Dookie happens, wife and I were running a new area yesterday and I saw the depth finder going shallow, I swung to the right and that was all she wrote. And 1.5 hours later and a nice swim and a couple of adult beverages all was good again.

wife said it was karma, because I laughed at two other boats we saw stranded on mud/sand flats.

On a side note and totaly off topic… 92 miles yesterday and only 9.2 gallons of fuel! good old yammy 70 four stroke.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Yes, but Frederico did you have red/green buoys, that were equipped with bright red/green lights, that will begin to flash when dark, in the area you were located?

If some folks would simply slow down and follow basic aids to navigation, mishaps like the Free-man found itself in Friday pm, could be prevented.

http://uscg.mil/d13/docs/usaidstonavigationsystembooklet23dec03.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

Another one, but I guess I need to start wearing the lanyard.

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/boater-explains-how-his-boat-ended-up-driverless-in-the-stono-river

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

VERY experienced boat mechanic. This was just pure bad luck and total accident. Glad he’s okay.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

If you run boats long enough eventually you will find yourself hard aground! I spent an entire tide cycle on crab bank one day… Very embarrassing sitting there in a commercial boat waving at everybody driving by.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Yes, but Frederico did you have red/green buoys, that were equipped with bright red/green lights, that will begin to flash when dark, in the area you were located?

If some folks would simply slow down and follow basic aids to navigation, mishaps like the Free-man found itself in Friday pm, could be prevented.

Some folks would say you never fail to deliver! Don’t let your Alligator mouth overrun your hummingbird behind Polbie!

Last intercoastal marker was about a 1 1/2 mile back. No markers in the creek I was in. Smart behind.

First time in maybe 15 years I’ve been stuck. Any boater that says he has never hit a sand bar is someone that goes infrequently or does not venture far or into new territory. Besides according to a fellow boater that stopped to see if we needed any assistance this is a new formation.

I had fun, when given lemons, make lemonade.

Actually I was trying to make light of what happened to the dude on Sullivans Island. I could have actually dragged my boat off before the tide dropped if I had wanted to. Wife and I were to busy laughing at our folly. Could have been much worse. Actually lit the hibachi and cooked shrimp kabobs.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

sorry for confusing you Fred, I know you weren’t around any markers, and I have run high and dry just as you,but in Bulls Bay. My point was, the Free man had a plethora of markers in his view, but was close to the beach. I also heard that he was traveling at or around 30 mph, too fast for that area in a boat that size, at dark.

also Fred, what did my second sentence say? anything about you in the title? Free-man are what I call Freeman Boats.

quote:

sorry for confusing you Fred, I know you weren’t around any markers, and I have run high and dry just as you,but in Bulls Bay. My point was, the Free man had a plethora of markers in his view, but was close to the beach. I also heard that he was traveling at or around 30 mph, too fast for that area in a boat that size, at dark.

also Fred, what did my second sentence say? anything about you in the title? Free-man are what I call Freeman Boats.

So what happened? Captain ignored nautical markers and beached the craft at 30 mph?

quote:

Fair enough, I thought your reply was for me since you called me out by name.

quote:
First time in maybe 15 years I've been stuck. Any boater that says he has never hit a sand bar is someone that goes infrequently or does not venture far or into new territory. Besides according to a fellow boater that stopped to see if we needed any assistance this is a new formation.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

We got stuck here for 3 days. Wife, dog and I. Ate a lot of oysters and clams [:0] Got stuck on the top of a new moon tide. Had to dig a ditch with a hammer and paddle from the keel to deep water. Took 3 days, but I got us off :smiley: Even the rudder was buried 3’ in the oysters. It took some work to get it out.

Everybody was happy again.

If you ain’t been stuck, you ain’t been in boats very much around here :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

OUCH, OUCH, don’t rock the boat !

George McDonald ; Board Member ; MAD Charleston
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Dang, sure makes me feel better when I see veterans like some of you guys do it too!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by marshgrass

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/boat-runs-aground-on-sullivans-island-saturday-afternoon

Marsha
22 Sea Hunt

You need to ask the owner.

big dog

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
First time in maybe 15 years I've been stuck. Any boater that says he has never hit a sand bar is someone that goes infrequently or does not venture far or into new territory. Besides according to a fellow boater that stopped to see if we needed any assistance this is a new formation.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

We got stuck here for 3 days. Wife, dog and I. Ate a lot of oysters and clams [:0] Got stuck on the top of a new moon tide. Had to dig a ditch with a hammer and paddle from the keel to deep water. Took 3 days, but I got us off :smiley:

Everybody was happy again.

If you ain’t been stuck, you ain’t been in boats very much around here :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

every time I think I’ve seen it all, Cracker Larry comes along and shows us all what the “salt life” is all about…beers are on me when me meet my friend…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I think I’ve been stuck on every sandbar, oyster bar, mud flat and coral reef from Annapolis to Aruba. I know stuck way too well [:I] It happened a lot more often before Loran and GPS were invented, but it still happens :smiley: Comes with the territory. No big deal, usually.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

1 Like
quote:
wife and I were running a new area yesterday and I saw the depth finder going shallow, I swung to the right and that was all she wrote.

That’s exactly what happened in above pictures. Tide was very high, couldn’t even see the marsh grass, and in a new area. I didn’t know where the channel was. It isn’t marked. Wife said go more left, I didn’t believe her and went right. Should have listened to her:face_with_head_bandage: 30 years later she hasn’t forgot pointing that out to me[:I] Oh well, so far I’ve always got her back home. Sometimes it just takes a little longer than others :smiley:

Tomorrow I’ll tell you the story of when she got me stuck. Real stuck! Got to go to bed now though.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

Some folks would say you never fail to deliver! Don’t let your Alligator mouth overrun your hummingbird behind Polbie!

Last intercoastal marker was about a 1 1/2 mile back. No markers in the creek I was in. Smart behind.

First time in maybe 15 years I’ve been stuck. Any boater that says he has never hit a sand bar is someone that goes infrequently or does not venture far or into new territory. Besides according to a fellow boater that stopped to see if we needed any assistance this is a new formation.

Actually I was trying to make light of what happened to the dude on Sullivans Island. I could have actually dragged my boat off before the tide dropped if I had wanted to. Wife and I were to busy laughing at our folly. Could have been much worse. Actually lit the hibachi and cooked shrimp kabobs.

talk about never failing to delivrr.

’

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.