How to slow down a 6” grinder

I’m sure that we have a good electrical person on site.
I have a 6” standard type bench grinder that runs on 120 v household current. It turns at a ridiculous speed and I’m wanting to use it for some things other than grinding is there a variable reostat or device I could install on the power line to slow it down.to less than 50 rpm? And where can i purchase Thanks in advance for any ideas

No

Pulleys

Inverter ………

Variable frequency drive

I spoke too soon and sman knows stuff.

I tried it once with a dimmer switch and it would slow down, but with a significant amount of torque loss, so I gave up.

I use a bench grinder for all kinds of things but, I have a specific one I use to sharpen all of my woodturning tools. I recently bought a CBN wheel for it which I heartily recommend for more precise sharpening. My big regret though, not getting a variable speed grinder. Like you, I have times I’d love to be able to slow the RPM’s down a bit.

If you find a workable solution, be sure and share. It might be something I’d look into.

2 Likes

I’m not sure it would be worth it to try a reostat. There’s tons of inline switches on Amazon with adjustable output but it really depends on the internal design of the grinder. The motor may require a boost to get it going. Most have a capacitor to do this. Using the adjustable dial would be a PITA to keep it running.

Instead of “rigging” one it may be easier and cheaper in the long run to buy what you need. Not overly expensive…

DELTA 6-in Variable Speed Bench Grinder with Light in the Bench Grinders department at Lowes.com

WEN 6 in. 2.5 Amp Variable Speed Bench Grinder with Flexible Work Light BG625V (homedepot.com)

Whoops sorry, overlooked the 50rpm part… That’s sloooooow…

Look at jewelry or hobby grinders.

Amazon.com: Jewelry Gem Polishing Grinding Machine Bench Lathe Rock Saw Lapidary Polisher Buffer 110V Mini Table Saw DIY Jewelry Grinder Equipment Tool 0-10000r/min with Flexible Shaft : Tools & Home Improvement

I had the same need for my Whaler restoration project. Up until recently I had been using a Dewalt angle grinder with a flat pad on it and it was too aggressive. I ended up getting this tool which is sold as a polisher but its really heavy-duty but is awesome for doing lighter sanding because you can slow it way down. Highly recommend

Thanks Optiker and all the others. That might have to work. I have that Dewalt polisher and I will give it a try .

What I was envisioning was a floor control like a sewing machine speed control, But the Dewalt might work I havent had that tool out in a while. any other suggestions ?

thanks again everyone