How Will You Get to Safety

Several years ago my son and I set out on an early morning fishing trip. There are many areas we fish that we will not see another boat all day. He was about 6 or 7 years old at the time and I really just wanted to spend some one on one time with him on the water. We arrived at our fishing spot and were enjoying the peace and tranquility of the outdoors when it suddenly dawned on me that if something happened that I became incapacitated somehow, what would my son do.

I always told my wife the general area we were fishing, but getting into some of the back creeks can be like a maze, especially for someone that does not know the area very well. I immediately stopped what we were doing and went through the process of how to dial 911 on my phone. I also showed him where we kept all first aid, fire extinguisher, flares, horns, etc. I also began that day to let him be involved in driving the boat and all of the different functions.

Today he is 14 and I feel like he understands what he needs to know in most any situation. Before he starts taking the boat out by himself in a couple of years, I will enroll him in a boater’s safety course so we can make sure he is well prepared and understands the responsibilities of running a boat.

The South Carolina DNR offers boater safety courses in many different locations during the year. These classes could mean the difference between a close call and a tragedy for anyone out on a boat. For anyone that wants to make sure they are prepared before they head out on the water I would recommend enrolling in a class. Here is a link to some upcoming classes that are scheduled. http://www.register-ed.com/programs/43 There is not better time than the present to make sure you and your fishing partners know what to do when out on the water.

Andy Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>