Hundred Pound Reminder

Some of my most vivid memories from my childhood stem from trips to Morris Island. These fond recollections include: my father?s ability to navigate, even in the pitch black dark, the maze of creeks, oyster beds, sandbars, mud flats and inlets through the Folly River to reach Lighthouse Inlet, dad?s strength to throw a hand-made 7-foot 30-pound nylon cast net for what seemed like hours to catching bait for the whole family, arriving at the ever shifting sand bar to see the lighthouse, worn and tattered, standing strong in the pounding surf, memories of eating one of mom?s sand filled PB&J sandwiches, and of course the memories of hauling in bruisers reds through the breaking waves at the end of my 12-foot surf rod. As I have grown older I now enjoy taking my kids to the island in hopes they too will form their own life long fond memories of such a beautiful and tranquil place. Has this island always been a refuge of peace? A close friend of mine, Chris Dixon, and I just discussed the islands history on a recent camping trip and as Chris reminded me, Morris Island was once Hell on Earth. Check out Chris? recent posting for the Scuttlefish to gather some history on this memorable destination.

http://thescuttlefish.com/2015/01/my-hundred-pound-reminder-of-hell-on-earth-a-scuttlefish-feature-2/

Tim Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>