Hunting Island State Park report

Camped there last week & fished everyday. I tried the kayak in a creek a couple of days with no luck. Lots & lots of bait but I didn’t see or catch anything.
The surf fishing was on fire. Mid tide either in coming or out going for about 2 hrs it was non stop action. Had 3 rods out & they would all go down with double on each. Caught lots of whiting, most where 10" to 16". Caught some nice size sting rays & skates. Got a lot of sharks (sand, bonnet head, hammer head, & black tips), largest was 30" & rest were around 20" to 24". I was hoping for something bigger but no luck.
First day fishing was a group of 10 or so guys fishing up the beach from me & saw several times they were all crowding around so I figured they had hooked into something good. I spoke to a couple & they caught two 30" Reds, a lot of short Reds, & some nice size Black drums. They said that was the only day they had any Drums.
What bit better than anything was the mosquitos, those things there are no joke. They were bad during the day but as soon as the sun started going down they would swarm you like nats. This one guy & his son sets up camp next to us with only 2 hammocks & a tarp over them, I was thinking no way. By 9:30pm they had broke camp & were leaving.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]

Something to experience. Slept in my car.
Sounds like a jet engine when night/wind falls.

Think about the peeps that settled there…and the natives before them. No man made netting/screen.

Great fushing though…and a Carolina beach.

Ying and Yang kinda stool.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

So true, and that’s why 3/4 of a million people die each year from them. I can only imagine the % before nets & sprays.

[navy]Sportsman Masters 207 Yamaha F150[/navy]