HVAC Repair Question

There are some smart folks here at CF so I thought I’d hit y’all up for some opinions. One of my HVAC systems has an issue with rust (see photo). My HVAC guy wants $200 to replace the rusted sheet metal. He’s been my HVAC guy for 15 years and has always been fair and done good work but I’d rather not spend $200 if I don’t have to.

I was wondering if I could take a wire brush to the rusted area, clean it up, put some anti-rust stuff on it and then spray some galvanizing spray on it. Probably not a super long-term fix but.

Thoughts from you guys.

I have always thought rustoleum brand paints were superior on metal but galvanized is different so here’s a good read

The only product that removes rust for me easily is this

It contains hydrochloric acid but it’s not for metal

I’ve wire brushed my boat trailer rust and sprayed on Rustoleum galvanizing paint with good results

Good luck

Looks like that outside duct shroud needs a little peak to it to facilitate rain runoff.

That HVAC unit looks pretty new compared to the duct shroud.

“I was wondering if I could take a wire brush to the rusted area, clean it up, put some anti-rust stuff on it and then spray some galvanizing spray on it. Probably not a super long-term fix but.”

That ought to work.

-or-

The neighbor’s cats’ been sleepin’ on there in dry weather making it sink in and hold water. Get a havahart trap and make connections with the nearest Chinese restaurant. Make some walkin’ around cash on the side!

Yes wire brush all the loose rust away. Use a zinc chromate or red oxide primer. Or you can just use rustoleum paint. But you need to get rid of the standing water. Get a short gasketed roof screw. Run it into the metal to pull the dent out. Put a piece of wire between the washer and the head of the screw. Tighten the screw down so the washer seals well. And a little caulking wouldn’t hurt. Then attach the piece of wire towards the top of the AC. That will keep it from caving in again and maybe keep the cat off of there. You could also get some of the bird be gone spikes to put on there. that will definitely keep the cat off of it.

I knew I could count o you guys. I’ll add it to my “to do” list.

Go buy a little metal brake and some sheet metal and make a new one.Everyone deserves a break.

I paid $300 for my 4-ft break from harbor freight.

If you do replace it replace it with .045
Aluminum

I agree with sman. After looking at a close up, that entire housing needs repaired in a couple places, and caulked all the way around it, both ends. It doesn’t look (to me) to be attached at the bottom where it connects to the condensing unit either.

If you don’t have access to a brake I’d think $200 is a fair deal to never ever have to deal with it again.

just my 2 cents

2 Likes

Is the $200 for a patch, or a new plenum?

Not really a bad price for a patch.

Excellent price for a new plenum!

The air you breath in your home can become polluted with all sorts of variants, with a damaged plenum, like yours.

Piece mill work is not the way I’d go, on this repair.

Just my h.02

^^^^^^

A good summery on all posts… In today’s repair world, I don’t think $200 is a bad deal.

Like fripp stated, get that standing water off! I’ve painted many a weld on galvanized with cold galvanizing spray…

Yeah, I thought about it at 3:00 this morning. I need to have him come out and inspect/clean both units anyway so I will probably just have him replace the whole piece. $200 for a new one ain’t bad and he usually discounts a little when he does it in conjunction with a service.

Thanks again all for your input!

That’s a common issue. The flat surface collects leaves and pine needles. A new one will do the same thing.

IMO - A DIY fix will be better than a new flat one.

When I lived in Blythewood I used Broom H&A. Have a new guy now that I’m in Gilbert.

Before I pay for a new one, I’m going to ask about doing something so this doesn’t happen again. Seems a slight bow or peak could be built in to facilitate water running off better than a flat surface. We’ll see.

Or a small pitched roof over the entire unit?

Replace it.

Like OTC said phones are watching

Just happened to pop up

Had to replace my H&A last year and the new shroud has a top portion that resembles a small hip roof. Very little pitch needed. Ridges from each of the four corners intersecting in the middle. Pretty rigid. Gonna take a big panther cat to mash that thing down! My cat reactive dog approves.

Oh no!!! I clicked on it! Water based metal paint?

Any way you could provide a photo? I’d like to show my HVAC guy when he comes out.

In your case I would just have put from the house to the AC. Cuz if you do like mine it’s still going to pond water at the AC.