Hypothetically,.dredging a creek..moved from polit

So, a friend of mine lives on a small creek. At their dock they have 3 ft of water at low tide. But, the mouth of the their creek and just before it, at low tide there is barely 6 inches of water. THis makes it impossible for them to get their boat in/out at low tide. My friend is considering how to go about dredging the mouth of the creek a little deeper and then dredging the shallow portion as well. They are thinking about dragging something heavy, like an 8ft 2x6 with attached angle iron, along the bottom behind their boat, on the outgoing tide thinking that will move some of the mud out of the creek.
Anyone have suggestions for this that I can pass on to them.

Hypothetically of course.

An old box spring is more effective, not sure how legal it was, but it temporarily worked.

At a certain boatyard, we used to have Junior Magwood tie off and throttle up, blowing silt out of the slips, that was stopped by Coastal Council, now OCRM.

I’m in a pretty much identical situation. I have just accepted the tide restriction. Not sure the legality of do it yourself dredging. Let us know the outcome if they try to dredge it themselves.

trim motor up and go back and forth on a rising tide as you leave your dock…any “intentional dredging” will be frowned upon my the law…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

It would be a shame if some sob sets of dinomite in the middle of the night! This happened at Edisto a few times, never did find out who it was!

Hypothetically, a box spring with cinderblocks fastened in it. Or a stick of dynamite. Hypothetically of course. Would totally recommend never doing this. But if you were to imagine doing this, hypothetically, please let know how it imaginarily turns out.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72

trim motor up and go back and forth on a rising tide as you leave your dock…any “intentional dredging” will be frowned upon my the law…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Theoretically, wouldnt you want to do this on a falling tide so the mud gets flushed out?

I Know a fellow that let a shrimp boat churn during the falling tide and worked his way up creek over a few weeks. It worked for a little while but the creek silted back over. Don’t know that you could get away with it today with all the traffic on the creeks and the numerous people that will call anything in.

Unfortunately all our small creeks are constantly in the process of changing along our shores. Do a timeline search on Google Earth, amazing how many creeks have moved or closed up.

“Why Bruce?”

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

So, a friend of mine lives on a small creek. At their dock they have 3 ft of water at low tide. But, the mouth of the their creek and just before it, at low tide there is barely 6 inches of water. THis makes it impossible for them to get their boat in/out at low tide. My friend is considering how to go about dredging the mouth of the creek a little deeper and then dredging the shallow portion as well. They are thinking about dragging something heavy, like an 8ft 2x6 with attached angle iron, along the bottom behind their boat, on the outgoing tide thinking that will move some of the mud out of the creek.
Anyone have suggestions for this that I can pass on to them.

Hypothetically of course.

Global Warming/Climate Change should solve his problem or so I have been told. You know the rising seas and all.:smiley:

I wonder what would happen if a 5 gallon bucket tied to a stout rope fell off the back of the boat every time you left out of the creek. If that was to accidentally happen a bunch of times, I bet it’d drag-line a lot of mud.

I would not recommend doing on purpose, but accidents happen.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

SCDHEC-OCRM will jam you up good for that. Army Corps would frown upon it as well.

I doubt that your friend will be able to move enough material to be worth the effort.

I know someone who just bought property on Molasses Creek and had the same question.

Narcosis

And, even if you get enough material moved to make a difference, if you don’t use the channel a lot, it will fill right back in.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25
http://www.ulmerboatworks.com

quote:
Originally posted by claim

I wonder what would happen if a 5 gallon bucket tied to a stout rope fell off the back of the boat every time you left out of the creek. If that was to accidentally happen a bunch of times, I bet it’d drag-line a lot of mud.

I would not recommend doing on purpose, but accidents happen.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

What if a bed spring loaded with cinder blocks tied to a rope accidentally fell off the back? Accidents happen!

I’d do like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption and just get a pocketful a day.

Just rent a camo trackhoe! Or a mud pump, I cleaned the silt out of my pond with a mud pump and two teenagers.

Sounds like you need some duck hunter friends with mud buddies to hold a shallow water racing event in your creek.

First, Most, Biggest

keep the ideas coming!!!
I do wonder if he does any type of deepening if it will just re-silt in. But, I gotta figure if he deepens the mouth of the creek some the silt should wash out instead of backing up back in to the creek.

Couple hundred pounds of ammonium nitrate soaked in diesel fuel will probably do it. Mix them together in an couple of old gas tank bladders and sink in the pluff mud. Should blow you a nice channel. Hopefully it won’t have silted in by the time you get out of prison.

Narcosis

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

keep the ideas coming!!!
I do wonder if he does any type of deepening if it will just re-silt in. But, I gotta figure if he deepens the mouth of the creek some the silt should wash out instead of backing up back in to the creek.

He's fighting mother nature, its not worth it. That DHEC fella in that Pioneer with a blue strobe is always lurking around. Tell your friend to call this guy and ask his opinion.

Briggs, Sean
Manager, Compliance and Enforcement Section
843-953-0218
briggssm@dhec.sc.gov

“Honest officer, I was just dragging the creek for my lost crab pots! You wouldn’t want someone to ruin their lower unit hitting one of my lost traps, now would you?”!!:sunglasses: