I done bought something big - Need a cover

https://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-waxed-stew-pot-40-gal/p/101681/

The Warden has asked an outdoor cooking kettle on her Christmas present this year. We saw some at the Swig and Swine oyster roast and she was smitten with them. She wants to use it as an oyster roast place, maybe a wood fired grill, or just a fire pit for roasting marshmallows.

We looked around and found those Cowboy Kettles and they were expensive - way too expensive.

Then we found the Carolina Cooker at Agri-Supply…they had a few sizes - 17 gallon, 25 gallon and 40 gallon. None of the pictures really gave a good idea how big they were.

So today, I was in Florence and stopped by Agri-Supply. They had some 17 gallon cooker kettles on the show room floor and they looked pretty good sized, enough for a boil, but really big enough for a good bon-fire. They were out of the 25 gallon kettles.

The 40 gallon kettle was back in the warehouse and instead of inviting me to go look at it, the staff up front said, “You pay here, go to the loading guys in the warehouse and they’ll load it in your truck.”

I figured “How big could it be?” The Warden wanted it, I paid for it and drove around back.

A couple of minutes later at the warehouse, a guy walks out being followed by a guy driving a forklift with this ginormous black kettle on a pallet and they swing behind my truck. The guys says “You need a bigger truck!” This pot filled up the whole pallet!!! I unloaded my truck, squeezed the pallet and pot on the truck and reloaded the truck putting stuff around the pot.

It’s home, it’s big, it needs a cooking lid for fire roasting oysters.

I was hoping to get a piece of stainless big enough to fit on top of the cooker to use as a roasting surface and to keep rain out of the pot.

Anybody know where I can get something suitable for a lid? Aluminum is out. Galvanized it out. Steel might be ok, but it’d be rusty to use as a cooking surface if we ever wanted. I figure stainless would be the way to go. A gri

BTW… Agri-Supply is the Costco / Sams Warehouse of guy stuff. If you are ever in need of something around the barn, shed, farm or other cool stuff…check them out.

https://www.agrisupply.com/retail-store-florence-darlington-south-carolina/a/90/

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I’ve got a really old one that belonged to my great uncle. Maybe 20 gallons and it has a lid. That thing is HEAVY, so where you put it is where it stays. Only thing I ever saw cooked in it was hash whenever he cooked a whole hog. My uncle was the “hash man”. Stirred it with a homemade hickory boat paddle and nobody touched that pot or that paddle but him. I’ve got both put up in storage.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

Fields Ornamental can make you whatever you want

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Look at one of those round grill covers, might be able to use one of them.

https://www.the-cover-store.com/round-firepit-cover-728-classic/?color=Green&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItYeMjteu3wIViYbACh1zrQjbEAQYBSABEgKVWvD_BwE

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-48-in-x-50-in-Black-Polyester-Charcoal-Grill-Cover/3604172?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA--SeasonalOutdoorLiving--GrillAccessories-_-3604172:Char-Griller&CAWELAID=&kpid=3604172&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=497&k_clickID=go_625671256_34614251950_111133262950_aud-299487635210:pla-29348841600_c_9010524&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItYeMjteu3wIViYbACh1zrQjbEAQYBCABEgIoDPD_BwE

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

I’ll have to swing by fields and see what they say. That round fire pit cover is good too to keep out rain.

This is going to be one more thing to mow around. I hope we use it more than 1-2 times.

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

There is a kitchen supply place in Charleston, Cannot remember the name. Good luck.

Double D.

Now you need to plant a patch of sugar cane and cook up some syrup next December.

quote:
Originally posted by sman

Now you need to plant a patch of sugar cane and cook up some syrup next December.

Sorghum…rather have sorghum. If you’ve got a mule, I’ve got a pot.

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

That is a Serious Pot! Very Nice!!

I let The Warden see the kettle this morning. She was very surprised by the size!

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Man, you could make a serious chicken bog in that thing!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

GOOD GRIEF!! What a pot!!!

NN

That’s nice, and actually not a bad price when you hit up the auctions looking for old syrup and wash pots and the shape they are in and what prices they fetch.

I wish we had an agri supply closer to me. Great place, Not sure if they still do the ammo stuff but the store in Statesboro had the greatest supply of off caliber hard to find stuff I’ve ever seen. Tractor Supply doesn’t hold a candle to them.

I’ve got and had many different fire pits as the wife is a major fire lover (me Too). I’m currently using an old skidder rim that I plasma cut a few designs on along with the wife’s name. The kettles really need a few drain/air holes to let air in to burn better. You will certainly want a lid if you don’t put a drain in it. Hope you and the Warden have some great times with your new addition.:smiley:

I stopped by Boatpour’s shop this morning and he gave me a 4x4 piece of stainless steel. We have a cooking surface!

I guess I should season this thing before I use it…guess I’ll grease is up, and put a turkey fryer under it and heat this sucker up.

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I don’t know if this will work…it’s the facebook video of her getting her pot

https://www.facebook.com/stan.sutton/videos/10213008747949393/

A friend posted: “Only you can get away with giving a woman cooking stuff for Christmas…AND a broom!! YOU DA MAN!!!”

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by claim

I stopped by Boatpour’s shop this morning and he gave me a 4x4 piece of stainless steel. We have a cooking surface!

I guess I should season this thing before I use it…guess I’ll grease is up, and put a turkey fryer under it and heat this sucker up.

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I figured you were doing a burn pit. You gonna season it? So this is going to be a big huge cooking pot? :smiley: Good gracious, who ya cooking for?! :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

I figured you were doing a burn pit. You gonna season it? So this is going to be a big huge cooking pot? :smiley: Good gracious, who ya cooking for?! :smiley:

No, it’s going to be a burn pit / oyster roasting caldron. You don’t think I need to season it to limit rust?

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

We had one " not quite that large we used to render lard in during hog killing … clean it real good and dry it out… build a med size fire around it lettind it get smoking hot… Dump in a coupla bricks of real lard , with a long handle clean rag mop swish the melted lard around covering every part at least 3 times. Pull fire back enough to mop all of outside of pot a couple times . Remove all or as much as possible of oil. Re kindle fire to cook in the oil , let fire burn out and allow to cool to point that you can wipe all inside of pot to remove any excess oil , keep pot covered when not useing !!!:smiley::smiley::smiley:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

No, it’s going to be a burn pit / oyster roasting caldron. You don’t think I need to season it to limit rust?

~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

If you are going to use it as a fire pit no amount of “seasoning” will keep it from rusting unless you coat it with oil after the burn. Seasoning one only works for lower heat applications.