I need help understanding why

Here I go again- not to upset anyone but

I need help understanding why people carry so many fishing rods on their kayaks?

I am stuck on the KISS rule Keep It Simple Stupid not saying people are stupid its just me

I carry two rods sometimes three if bottom fishing tying a knot for me is not that hard??

Any advantage?

Capt Dave

Everyone is different. I only carry two. One has a Carolina Rig on it and the other I put a snap swivel on to switch between popping cork or spinners. Some guys like to have each individual lure per-rigged so they can grab and cast. More to carry, load, and unload though. That’s the way I look at it.

Sauerkraut

I started out only carrying one or two. Now I usually take 3-4 and up to 6. It’s just easier to pre-rig everything and have it right there when you need it without having to change rigs. I still use snap swivels so I can change out baits or switch lure colors etc. It’s all a preference. Sometimes I only use a few of the rods and sometimes I use them all. I guess it depends on what’s working that day.

If two wrongs don’t make a right, try three.

I only take 2-3 max when kayak fishing.
Some ladies have 10 shades of lipstick in their purses. Same principle.
:smiley:

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha
Big Ugly Homemade Blue Push Pole

I used to carry 6 rods on my kayak rigged up and 2 not rigged up… the principle is very simple… I have one rigged up with a top-water bait, one with a jig-head, one with a flutter hook, one with a popping cork, one with a bottom rig and one with a twitch/crank-bait and a fly rod, the other 2 not rigged up are spares and usually in the hull. The idea behind this is when I am fishing and a top-water bite starts, or I need to change from a soft plastic to a hard bodied bait, or I just want to change the style of fishing I simply switch rods and fish instead of having to cut a lure or rig off and tie something else on. Sometimes by the time you re-rig the bite is over and then you spend even more non-fishing time re-rigging again. It saves you time and allows you to maximize your fishing. Now even though I have all that I only fish one rod at a time… I learned my lesson the hard way about having 3 rods all out and having a big ol redfish tangle me up bad :wink:

The other reason is when you have clients you only give them one or 2 rods and have all the extras with you in case they need to swap it out because they need a different bait or they break off a rig, same principle, you simply hand your client a new rod already rigged. This maximizes THEIR fishing time and keeps them on fish and happy…It also keeps them from getting overwhelmed and from them dropping your gear overboard…

At least that is why I carry multiple rods when I kayak fish.

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org
Charleston Director- www.SCKayakfishing.com
www.lowcountryflyshop.com
Tarpon 160os

I carry three…each rigged differently.

I always have two rods with me. This time of year i mainly throw artificials so i rig up my two favorites for the conditions that day along with plenty of options. Depending if you are anchored in deeper water, slow drifting in more shallow water or up on a flat also plays a role in how to rig your rods…two or three rods should do.

I carry 4 , 2 bait casting, 2 spinning. Topwater, mirrodine, flutter hook paddlerz, 1/8 jig head (minnowz, curly tail, TT) I only have 4 rod holders so I stopped at 4. If I get a topwater blow up or a short strike then I can instantly cast one of the others to the fish. I will also hit an area I think should be holding fish with all 4 and move on if no action, can cover a lot of water this way and also know that you have hit the full water column in a given area.

It’s all about personal preference. I do not fish a lot of bait and therefore spend a lot time casting. I normally carry between 7 and 12 rods depending on what I am fishing for and where I am fishing. For Charleston I normally carry a 7’ light/fast action, 7’ med light/fast action, 7’ med light/ X-Fast action, 7’ med/fast action, 7’ med heavy/fast action, (2) 7’6" med light/fast action, 7’6" med/moderate action, 7’6" med/fast action, and a 8’ med light/fast action. Each of these rods have different characteristics, actions, speeds, and power. They allow me to throw a large assortment of lures to a variety of species of fish and increase my chances of success. I enjoy the challenge of tricking a fish in to taking something that is not real based on the presentation. Do not get me wrong, I love throwing bait but I just do not give the same satisfaction from it. The large number of rods also gives me the ability to be ready for any situation and the less time I spend tying on new baits the more time my lures are in the water, increasing the probability of me catching fish.

When I fish from a yak, I only fish the bare minimum. 1 or 2 rods, a boga grip, a small tackle box tray with the essentials. Spool of leader, handful of jigheads, 2 or 3 different lures or soft plastics I’m gonna use… that’s it. The simplicity of yakkin is what appeals to me about a yak. But, I mostly fish in a stink pot!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com

I can appreciate the convenience of having a half dozen pre-rigged rods within arm’s reach, but for me 2 or 3 is plenty. There’s nothing more frustrating than fumbling around trying to get all your stuff organized while your free time clock is ticking, and nothing more satisfying than going from driving to fishing in no time. Therefore, I too stick to the ‘Keep It Simple Stupid’ route.

Plus, there’s always the risk of tipping and losing gear to the drink. 6 rods is a lot to kiss goodbye, let alone a dozen. You can leash every one of them, but that’s another thing eating away at the dreaded ‘free time clock!’

I also believe in kiss. Keep it simple stupid.

I used to carry two rods, one rigged for bottom, one rigged for top.

Out on a trip, they got all tangled. While trying to untangle them, one rod half (the part with the reel) went over the side. I decided then to keep it simple, and carry only one rod. No tangled rods, life is simple. If I have to I rerig.

I think the answer is, “To each, their own!”. I usually have about 7 rods with me, and generally they all get used. My boat has 11 holders on it, and I have my system down. I do still get tangled sometimes, but I know right where everything is. If I need to, I can go from car to loaded up and vise versa in about 10 minutes.

Besides, the Russian Trawler look is in this year!

DD

Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and Be Happy!

Right,aka the paddling porcupine- You cood loose a eyeball!

quote:
Originally posted by nikonjedi

I used to carry 6 rods on my kayak rigged up and 2 not rigged up… the principle is very simple… I have one rigged up with a top-water bait, one with a jig-head, one with a flutter hook, one with a popping cork, one with a bottom rig and one with a twitch/crank-bait and a fly rod, the other 2 not rigged up are spares and usually in the hull. The idea behind this is when I am fishing and a top-water bite starts, or I need to change from a soft plastic to a hard bodied bait, or I just want to change the style of fishing I simply switch rods and fish instead of having to cut a lure or rig off and tie something else on. Sometimes by the time you re-rig the bite is over and then you spend even more non-fishing time re-rigging again. It saves you time and allows you to maximize your fishing. Now even though I have all that I only fish one rod at a time… I learned my lesson the hard way about having 3 rods all out and having a big ol redfish tangle me up bad :wink:

The other reason is when you have clients you only give them one or 2 rods and have all the extras with you in case they need to swap it out because they need a different bait or they break off a rig, same principle, you simply hand your client a new rod already rigged. This maximizes THEIR fishing time and keeps them on fish and happy…It also keeps them from getting overwhelmed and from them dropping your gear overboard…

At least that is why I carry multiple rods when I kayak fish.

When Clients break off rigs they get put in "fishing timeout"

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

I’m in the more more more category. Typical trip with clients, 8-10 re-rigged and ready to had over.
by myself bait fishing, 3. Read the 3 rod prospecting method
by myself slinging plastics, 6 or 7 for a variety of techniques and colors

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

You get better tips for not putting them in a “time out” Fritz :wink:

Tarpon 160os

quote:
Originally posted by nikonjedi

You get better tips for not putting them in a “time out” Fritz :wink:

Not when you make a joke out of being put in time out and the other people on the trip all know what happens if you break off a rig. I can assure you that I don't get pissed and make the whole Timeout thing a negative situation*, It's all in fun. But if I think the person doesn't have a sense of humor there is always another rod rigged and ready to go that they get. But thanks for telling me how to run charters:wink: Always nice to get advice from the new guys.

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

Anytime I can pass on my wealth of knowledge to guy like you Fritz, just trying to help ya out, ya know help ya learn about charters and all…

** This was written with the sarcasm font in size 22 bold and underlined**

:smiley: I knew what you meant I forgot to add that the first reply to you was also written in the sarcasm font… hahahahahahahaha

Good to see ya on here passin out kayak advice :wink: ** again more sarcasm and fun meant **

Tarpon 160os

Wow lots of ■■■■■■■■ - Thank you

Think I will stick with the KISS method 3 rod max

When I take out a charter I normally carry 4 rods and my angler has 2

New kayakers break off a lot so I have a couple extra ready all the time.

Hey - keep in touch with your line it helps

Capt Dave