I'm Your Life Jacket, But You Don?t Know Me

This week’s article comes to us via a recent Boat US News Release. The article rings true to me perhaps it is because I am getting older and more cautious or simply because I have heard one too many stores of folks drowning in boating accidents. Recently I have made it a point to tell all my quests where all the safety gear is located as soon as they get on board. I explain how to access the life jackets, where the throwable is, where the ditch bag is, right on down to how to use the VHF to call for help. In addition I purchased an auto inflating life vest a few years ago and I wear it and connect the motor kill cord to it anytime I run the boat by myself. The costs of these vests have come down significantly and they are so lightweight that I have forgotten I was wearing it on numerous occasions. Summertime on the water is very busy and with so much traffic things can go wrong in a hurry; make sure you can get to your gear in a hurry.

I’m Your Life Jacket, But You Don?t Know Me

I’m your life jacket, but you don?t know me. I’m here to help you, maybe even safe your life ? but only if you’re willing to take the help. Maybe National Safe Boating Week (May 17 ? 23) will help remind everyone that I?m here for you?

You think you may know me, but you really don?t. Because the law says you have to keep me aboard your boat, you think you?re safe. But you put me in places so hard to find, under piles of junk or buried in lockers so deep that no one will ever know who I am, especially if something happens to you, or if something bad happens very fast, like most accidents do.

Of all of the fatal boating accident victims who drowned, almost 85% weren’t wearing a life jacket. I wish I had gotten to know that 85%. I?ll bet their families do, too.

You’ve never taken me out of my new packaging, or let me meet your family or friends. You barely even talk about me. Everyone knows where to find the fishing rods, the cooler full of drinks, or the sunscreen. But me? Hardly anyone knows I exist.

About t