In everyones opinion???????

I trailer down 3 hrs. to broad river during cobie run in spring, and was wandering ;is the bite better or slower in broad r spots verses
the Beaufort river area. I kinda like the Sands landing area and bait shops are more available. Also the creek that divides parris I from
port royal , I never see anyone fishing it; “restricted maybe”, and can it be navigated all the way across??? Dumb questions I know!!!
:question::question::question::question::question:
GW

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

The bite will be better in the Broad than Beaufort River, but there is a good rip in the Broad right across from the mouth of the Beaufort River.

That is Archer Creek. Yes it is navigable all the way through, but it is a restricted area and sometimes closed depending on what our fine Marines are doing on Parris Is. Trust me, they will let you know when they don’t want you there :smiley: It think there is a number you can call to keep up with the schedule, but I don’t cross the river much so don’t know the latest.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I think Archer’s creek is behind the firing range berm. I guess an occasional round goes over the berm. Sounds like my shooting!

I think firing range hours are 6am-6:30pm M-F & 8am-noon on Saturday. Call 843-228-3170 to verify this. Parts of Archers are narrow and shallow and you must stay on plane at low tide to get through. It gets fun if you encounter a bay boat running wide open in the opposite direction! I think the best fishing for trout and reds, if you are interested, is the Broad River end of Archer’s, which is closed the same times as the rest of the creek.

World Class Cobia fishing is within peeing distance of Broad River Bridge when the water temps get up to 68-70*. If you like to get the early Cobia and burn a little more gas, do as Cracker Larry suggested and fish the sandbar rips between that bridge and the mouth of Port Royal Sound. The earliest Cobia usually arrive at the Betsy Ross reef about mid-April, then the “fishing rip” at the mouth of the sound, then the sandbar rips in the Broad, then by mid-May or so they are at the Broad River bridge and a few miles upriver from there.

For some reason, I don’t think many folks fish the Beaufort River for Cobia, except at the mouth. I used to catch them in the shade of the bouys marking the shipping channel off the beaches. I don’t know why that would not work in the Beaufort River, especially the lower part. Toss an eel in the shade of a bouy. Use stout tackle to (try to) get the Cobia away from the bouy’s chain, and hang on!

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

thanks cracker and spec; I’ll put this info into memory bank!!!

thanks again:smiley::smiley:

GW

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Yup archers creek is typically closed on the broad river end to the PI bridge during the week …it gets super shallow coming from the sands to the PI bridge at low tide…careful in there you have to be on plane AMD moving to.make it through and if another boat is coming the opposite way or got stuck well you get to power down and wait on water too lol… I fish it often during the weekends and haven’t been run out yet lol…great fishing if youfine em…tthey don’t get a lot of pressure in there and they know to go in there lol…cobia are mostly on the broad…my earliest ever was 2 years ago on April 4th…the sandbars out at the end of PI and into the sound are where to fish in the beginning of the run…you will see all the boats lined up at the bridge…then you will know the run has started…good luck and have fun

Gail winds, as everyone has said they do block that water way when the boys are shooting on the range. Coming from the broad the mps will have a boat out and coming from the beaufort there is usually a guy on the pi bridge with a loud speaker to let you know its closed. That bridge on pi holds fish well and so do the back creaks on the broad side. I am able to cross through on a higher water and I stay right if im coming from the broad. On a good day you shouldnt have to go much farther than the bridge just bring a few jigs and some live shrimp and you should have a fun day if your after specs and reds.

Rjpierce

Like everyone else said, I have never really had any luck in the beafort river.

Really no secret spots, just join the fleet!

Not sure what boat your in, but if the weather is good and wind not too strong the shipping channel in the mouth of the sound is really good if you can stay away from the sharks.

edit: I believe I’m off a bit on the rip, just look for the Microwave tower and the fleet.

Thanks again guys. Like I said ,I’m putting all this in memory!!!
:smiley::smiley:

GW

author unknown