In House generator advice

I think we are going to bite the bullet and get a built in generator.
Thinking we want something to basically keep the 1st floor going, so AC and appliances. We have Rinai tankless hot water system so think we are good on that.
Anyone got a recommendation for a good local contractor?
Ive been researching this, but if anyone has any words of wisdom or advice would love to hear it.

Thanks a lot

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

Following…

“…be a man and PM me.”

Not sure on who to suggest to do the install, but if you can, go with the Generac brand, they are the best that I know of.

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Hope you have natural gas or you’re going to need a big fuel tank to feed that beast.How far in the air would you have to set it to keep storm surge from reaching it?Do ya’ll lose power out there a lot or you preparing for a hurricane?

Keith’s Heating and Air, great people based out of Holy Hill but travel all over the lowcountry and towards Columbia. Travis and His dad (Keith) are top notch and he has been installing these Generac whole home systems for the past few years. They did the AC at my moms house in Mt. Pleasant and beat the quotes she had by a bundle. Cant Say enough good about them.
http://www.keithsheatingandair.com/

quote:
Originally posted by sman

Hope you have natural gas or you’re going to need a big fuel tank to feed that beast.How far in the air would you have to set it to keep storm surge from reaching it?Do ya’ll lose power out there a lot or you preparing for a hurricane?

We are on propane tanks. We got flooded w/ Irma, got 18" or so through the garage, so would need to be at least that high. We dont lose power a lot, more hurricane preparedness.

Thanks

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

Yeah, if I ever do one, I want natural gas or propane.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Maybe check with your power provider and see if they have any kind of help on install and pricing. ? I’d also price one for complete house rather than going short for just first floor. Probably not much more.

Following like bang stick.

Onan
Kholer
Generac

In that order. Get a 20kw minimum, not enough difference in price to warrant going lower. Wire in a whole house transfer switch. Most any qualified electrician can do it. 500gal tank to make sure it’ll have fuel for prolonged outages.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

I’ve never lost power long enough to justify the expense. I have 3 portables to keep the lights on , freezer & refrig, & tv.

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

I’ve never lost power long enough to justify the expense. I have 3 portables to keep the lights on , freezer & refrig, & tv.

I kinda enjoy roughing it a little,I have one little honda for the freezer and tv in the shop.The ole lady hates it.HaHa

Had a 10 cyl. nat gas Cat installed on a job a few years ago, when it would start it made one heck of a racket. I use my Miller portable welder around the house in an emergancy. See the all the ime on Craigs list.

How many of us can you house for say a month if **** hits fan? Clearly me and assman are in.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

How many of us can you house for say a month if **** hits fan? Clearly me and assman are in.

Plug in sex toys coupled with assman are prohibited at the Doctor’s resident during power outages… Mdaddy has already check on this with his generator expertise. No unit can handle the load…

RBF

quote:

Sorry for late response, been trying to catch a Tarpon. No luck, but it sounds better saying Im targeting tarpon and no luck rather than being skunked ! Sharks, big rays and a nice Spanish on a float if anyone cares.
I’m going to call a couple of folks, will price out whole house, and thanks for confirming would need separate propane tank.

Peapod def in, almost goes without saying, and from what i gather from this forum you and assman come as a paired set.

We usually have foster pups running around, so would welcome the help, have 3 x 9 week olds right now that can swim already!

Here’s what I did:

1. Got an electrician to install a backfeed plug-in (like a dryer plug) in my garage. Approx $400 including fabrication / supply of the male - male backfeed cable.

2. Got a 4000W propane powered generator. Approx $350. It runs from regular propane tanks just like your gas grill. This one:
    https://www.campingworld.com/sportsman-4000-watt-dual-fuel-generator?CAWELAID=120030630000023998&gclid=CjwKCAjw2MTbBRASEiwAdYIpsVNcn3a5BzJxt-YWl2eikuA147RleS39FOVddxjB-8qH99Q7GXVichoCm9AQAvD_BwE

3. I bought five full propane tanks, about $45/ea. Each one runs the generator for at least 8 hours.

4. Tested the system, it works. I run the generator every 6 months or so to make sure it still works. So far, good to go. I run it outside of course, the connecting line is long.

5. Backfeeding means you must MUST turn your electrical main off before you power it up. See below. With this arrangement, you allocate power where you need it based on your household breaker switches. I like propane because it’s cleaner to run, doesn’t gum up the generator if it sits for a long time, and the fuel can be stored for a long time.

About backfeeding:

https://www.norwall.com/blog/generator-tips/portable-generators/backfeeding-generator-dangerous/

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

Food for thought… I worked at a hospital out of state for a brief amount of time. I learned there not to rely on the city’s natural gas supply for Home Emergency Generators as the city had the ability to cut natural gas to certain residential areas to supply the Hospitals’ Emergency Equipment, which they did during Harvey and Ike. Their Boilers, Turbines Etc. often use NG. Not sure if this is the case with the Charleston Area, but then again not sure if it isn’t.

Adding to Native_Son’s Backfeeding, not only will it possible endanger responding workers, but if power were to be restored, city power would backfeed into the generator, turning the once generator into a motor and damaging it and possibly things surrounding it. I’ve never seen it happen but heard it is catastrophic.

172 Sea Hunt Triton
Laser Sailboat

quote:
Originally posted by drterry
quote:

Sorry for late response, been trying to catch a Tarpon. No luck, but it sounds better saying Im targeting tarpon and no luck rather than being skunked ! Sharks, big rays and a nice Spanish on a float if anyone cares.
I’m going to call a couple of folks, will price out whole house, and thanks for confirming would need separate propane tank.

Peapod def in, almost goes without saying, and from what i gather from this forum you and assman come as a paired set.

We usually have foster pups running around, so would welcome the help, have 3 x 9 week olds right now that can swim already!

You don’t need a separate tank, you need one large enough to run the generator in a prolonged outage. Pick the generator and then call the gas company and ask them what tank they recommend to service the generator for a two week period unless you live in an area that will most likely see service restored within a week. Then have them bury the correct size tank. Worst case is you rarely fill the tank for normal service on the house. Best case is if/when we get a substantial hurricane, you have power and comfort for a few weeks and lots of friends/family visiting.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a do

quote:
Originally posted by drterry
quote:

You don’t need a separate tank, you need one large enough to run the generator in a prolonged outage. Pick the generator and then call the gas company and ask them what tank they recommend to service the generator for a two week period unless you live in an area that will most likely see service restored within a week. Then have them bury the correct size tank. Worst case is you rarely fill the tank for normal service on the house. Best case is if/when we get a substantial hurricane, you have power and comfort for a few weeks and lots of friends/family visiting.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a do

[quote]Originally posted by cam

Food for thought… I worked at a hospital out of state for a brief amount of time. I learned there not to rely on the city’s natural gas supply for Home Emergency Generators as the city had the ability to cut natural gas to certain residential areas to supply the Hospitals’ Emergency Equipment, which they did during Harvey and Ike. Their Boilers, Turbines Etc. often use NG. Not sure if this is the case with the Charleston Area, but then again not sure if it isn’t.

Adding to Native_Son’s Backfeeding, not only will it possible endanger responding workers, but if power were to be restored, city power would backfeed into the generator, turning the once generator into a motor and damaging it and possibly things surrounding it. I’ve never seen it happen but heard it is catastrophic.

Thank you, i had read quite a bit on line about the washing machine method and I think for us we would prefer to go to manual switch. I was thinking about the auto switch but we seem to have micro power outages pretty frequently and wouldn’t want the gen kicking in, though I;m thinking there could probably be a delay programmed into the auto switch to fix that issue. On the gas point we are not on mains gas, we have propane tanks, so I would set up a separate tank for the generator. I’m traveling on biz most of this week but will be making some calls later. thanks