Intelligent Design

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Here is the thing about “supreme beings”. Just because you can’t understand them, doesn’t mean that they do not exist. Imagine your goldfish trying to understand your capabilities. Hopefully even the most common person can understand that no matter how hard a goldfish tries, he will never be able to comprehend the magnitude of a human’s capabilities.

Agree with this sentiment except for one important point: there’s ONLY ONE supreme being…

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

Why then does God recognize other gods in the Ten Commandments?

“Thou shalt have no other gods before me”

RBF

Look around this world at humanity. It wouldn’t take a lot to become what we would have to classify as a Supreme Being.
The problem with where all of this is going is that while the Bible may refer to other gods, and even the sons of gods, to accept that notion places man farther down on the list then where we would want to be.
The Bible states that God created the universe and everything that is in it. He then created man in His own image. It doesn’t refer to when God created the rest of the Supreme Beings and where they stand in God’s eyes. The more Supreme Beings that exist, the farther down on the pecking order man could possibly go, when it come to gaining God’s attention.
We wouldn’t want to think that God isn’t always available to decide whether or not a pilot crash landing a 747 is going to be successful or not. Especially if it’s because He’s been distracted by the issues of any number of Supreme Beings. We’d probably be jealous.

quote:

Here is the thing about “supreme beings”. Just because you can’t understand them, doesn’t mean that they do not exist. Imagine your goldfish trying to understand your capabilities. Hopefully even the most common person can understand that no matter how hard a goldfish tries, he will never be able to comprehend the magnitude of a human’s capabilities.

Who says “we” can’t understand? On the contrary - I feel we have a solid understanding of what is going on…

And, just because you think you understand “them”, doesn’t mean that they exist…

But back to my point - To be a true Christian or believer, one must not pick and choose what parts of the bible they believe to be real, and what they believe to be a “good story”. The story of Noah is an essential part of the bible, one that leads to one simple proof - human evolution absolutely exists, and massive changes can and do happen over a short period of time.

That is - if you believe that story. And to believe the bible, and claim it as the “word” - you must believe that story.

Not sure where this is going, but the other “gods” in the Bible are “false Gods”. Pagans just made up gods in their head and the one true God did not like that. It’s a slap in the face to the creator when your own people choose to worship false idols than the one who actually made them. There are plenty of places in the Bible to give context around the fact that these “gods” are “false gods”. Is Superman a super hero? Certainly he is even though he doesn’t exist.

quote:

Not sure where this is going, but the other “gods” in the Bible are “false Gods”. Pagans just made up gods in their head and the one true God did not like that. It’s a slap in the face to the creator when your own people choose to worship false idols than the one who actually made them. There are plenty of places in the Bible to give context around the fact that these “gods” are “false gods”. Is Superman a super hero? Certainly he is even though he doesn’t exist.

I agree. I have always struggled with the fact the other gods are even recognized. Can’t put my head around it. Not saying you’re wrong, just one of those areas I have a hard time with.

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

I agree. I have always struggled with the fact the other gods are even recognized. Can’t put my head around it. Not saying you’re wrong, just one of those areas I have a hard time with.

RBF

Yeah, I think a lot of Christians (including myself) have had this thought at one time. That being said, I tend to cling to back to the basics. That is, satan was jealous of God and wants to be worshipped as God is worshipped. And, I don't think it would be too radical to think that satan has revealed himself to other nations in the form of a "god" (false god), in many forms. The Bible recognizes satan as a very powerful being who even the archangel Michael will not deal with directly (instead asks God himself to rebuke satan). I think that satan will do anything he can to undermine God and tell any lie that he can to undermine God, including creating counterfeit religions to lead people away from God.
quote:

There are a few places in Genesis where God refers to “us”. There is even a reference to the “Sons of God” hooking up with the daughters of men. I don’t think He was referring to idols.

quote:
Originally posted by jughed
quote:

Who says “we” can’t understand? On the contrary - I feel we have a solid understanding of what is going on…

And, just because you think you understand “them”, doesn’t mean that they exist…

But back to my point - To be a true Christian or believer, one must not pick and choose what parts of the bible they believe to be real, and what they believe to be a “good story”. The story of Noah is an essential part of the bible, one that leads to one simple proof - human evolution absolutely exists, and massive changes can and do happen over a short period of time.

That is - if you believe that story. And to believe the bible, and claim it as the “word” - you must believe that story.

Maybe I should be using the term "superior being" instead of "supreme being". First of all, my point is NOT to claim that there are other "gods". As BB mentioned, there is only 1 God who is the Creator of the universe. The point that I am trying to make is that he is SUPERIOR to us in any and every way. For you to think that you can fully grasp God is arrogant. You only understand about God what HE wants you to understand. Read the book of Job when God scolds Job for displaying this arrogan
quote:
quote:
quote:

RBF

Yeah, I think a lot of Christians (including myself) have had this thought at one time. That being said, I tend to cling to back to the basics. That is, satan was jealous of God and wants to be worshipped as God is worshipped. And, I don't think it would be too radical to think that satan has revealed himself to other nations in the form of a "god" (false god), in many forms. The Bible recognizes satan as a very powerful being who even the archangel Michael will not deal with directly (instead asks God himself to rebuke satan). I think that satan will do anything he can to undermine God and tell any lie that he can to undermine God, including creating counterfeit religions to lead people away from
quote:

^^^^^This. And worldly gods can be statues, animals, cars, cell phones, or anything else we put before God. God made us; we make gods.

quote:

Thanks. I still have issues even with Churches that speak of satan in God’s house. I have always struggled with recognizing satan in Church. Makes him seem relevant and worthy. I believe we should not even dignify him with reponses. He’ll be there and we all know. Stealing time from talking about God vs. talking about satan seems wrong to me.

Again, just my 2 cents and not meant to stir anything.

RBF

The Bible talks a lot about satan and evil. Jesus even mentions satan. I hear what you are saying, but it seems important for people to know that satan is a real threat, so they can understand when\if they are being tempted or mislead. You are more likely to look for lies if you know there is a liar out there trying to misguide you.
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I still have issues even with Churches that speak of satan in God’s house. I have always struggled with recognizing satan in Church. Makes him seem relevant and worthy. I believe we should not even dignify him with reponses. He’ll be there and we all know. Stealing time from talking about God vs. talking about satan seems wrong to me.

RBF

The Bible talks a lot about satan and evil. Jesus even mentions satan. I hear what you are saying, but it seems important for people to know that satan is a real threat, so they can understand when\if they are being tempted or mislead. You are more likely to look for lies if you know there is a liar out there trying to misguide you.

Thanks for your perspective. I believe in realizing vs recognizing. Too many fire and brimstone sermons in my life… Still trying to shake them off.

RBF

quote:
quote:

^^^^^This. And worldly gods can be statues, animals, cars, cell phones, or anything else we put before God. God made us; we make gods.

Bart, I agree 100%. I think you have to put money at the top of that list though as the #1 idol of all time.

quote:

Thanks for your perspective. I believe in realizing vs recognizing. Too many fire and brimstone sermons in my life… Still trying to shake them off.

RBF

No doubt. I always enjoy hearing a positive message myself. Different people are moved by different things. The wife and I have just recently settled in on a church that we like after visiting several different ones.
quote:
Originally posted by mcvlbound
quote:
quote:

Bart, I agree 100%. I think you have to put money at the top of that list though as the #1 idol of all time.

You my friend are correct…Billy Idol did sing a #1 song about the topic…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYYAv-QW38Q

RBF

quote:
quote:

There are a few places in Genesis where God refers to “us”. There is even a reference to the “Sons of God” hooking up with the daughters of men. I don’t think He was referring to idols.

The reference about "us" in Genensis, I have most recently seen to speculate that God is talking about "us" as in the father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I have never seen the argument speculating that it was referring to other "gods".
quote:
quote:

RBF

Is it just lies? People lie all of the time. My view of satan is pretty simple. He’s a fallen angel that God no longer loves. In order to survive he steals God’s love from man. Without God’s love nothing can live, even satan depends on God’s love for his survival. Everything that we do either adds God’s love to what we are, or takes God’s love away. Behind the things that take His love away from us, sometimes so far behind the scenes that he is invisible, is always satan.

quote:
quote:
quote:

The reference about "us" in Genensis, I have most recently seen to speculate that God is talking about "us" as in the father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I have never seen the argument speculating that it was referring to other "gods".

Look through Genesis. One example is after Adam and Eve had their fall, God said something like “look at them now they are like us knowing good and evil”. There are more.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Look through Genesis. One example is after Adam and Eve had their fall, God said something like “look at them now they are like us knowing good and evil”. There are more.

</blockquote id="quo
quote:

Father, Son, Holy Ghost, Angels... Doesn't imply other gods...