Investing In a Few Bad CD's

From 4/19/01</font id=blue>

One day last summer I stopped by The Reel Johns to pick up some menhaden milk. Ken Suggs was working and he asked how I was distributing the milk to form a chum slick. I shared with Ken how I had put together a device made out of a short piece of PVC pipe, a ball valve and some polyethylene tubing. Ken thanked me for sharing the somewhat secretive device with him and in turn shared a device, which at that time, was a secret. Ken pulled out a small Ziplock bag containing a stack of 7 or 8 compact discs. I said “That’s no secret Ken, we have found we almost always catch fish when we have a CD playing. We prefer Buffet on our boat.” Ken laughed as he pulled the CDs that were strung together with monofilament from the bag, and I quickly realized Ken was not playing these CDs, but was trolling them. Ken handed me the home made device and said to try it out on my next trip and let him know what I thought.
I kept my mouth shut about the teaser, but needless to say the CD teaser is no longer a secret and has since become a hot topic on the CharlestonFishing.Com Discussion Board. The purpose of this article is to introduce this economic teaser to those that are not yet familiar with it, as well as, to try and answer a few basic recurring questions we have been getting on the teaser.

Teasers are typically used in offshore trolling as a tool to attract fish and may be rigged with or without hooks. Most saltwater teasers are designed to be trolled at or near the surface just ahead of your baits. Teasers are usually brightly colored and attract fish through the obvious media of sight and sound or vibration. Most teasers smoke, (gulp air and produce a solid trail of bubbles), rooster tail, (create a constant trailing splash at the surface), flash, swim erratically creating commotion, rattle, or some combination to attract fish.

The CD teaser attracts fish by flashing and swimming erratically through the water. When the teaser is properly rigged the shinny side of the CDs