IOP Blacktip 5/6/14

I got to the beach at sunset, put out a line for whiting and had one almost instantly. Put him on the shark rig and launched it about 30 yards out. About 20 minutes later it went off. After a 20 minute fight, I landed this beauty:

I was whooping and hollering and my wife called me a madman, but she took the pictures anyway!

I gleaned a lot of info off this site to build my rig, so I thought I’d pass along what worked for me:

Rod: 9’ Penn Spinfisher - medium action
Reel: Penn Sargus 6000
Main line: Power Pro 80# braid
Leader: 4’ of 300# mono, then 3’ of 180# hard wire
Weight: 4oz sputnik, attached loose to mono leader with a swivel
Hook: Owner 10/0 circle

Thanks!

Andrew

Nice work Zep ! I can see the adrenaline rush in your face in the photo.

Nice fish! Where did you get the long tail Sputnik weight? I’ve only found the short ones locally.

All Day I Dream About Fishing
Malibu eXtreme
Key West 1720

Thanks guys! It definitely was an adrenaline rush!

The rod and reel came from Walmart and everything else is from Haddrell’s in Mt. P, including the sputnik weight. I got it about a year ago, though, so I’m not sure if they have any in stock now.

D’OH!! Better start watching my toes!! Beutiful!! Great set-up as well.

Nice one! Looks like you have the beach sharking all figured out.

NICE! I want one too. Thanks for sharing.

• Salt Life Travis

“The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.” Hebrews 1:3

Looks like a nice haywire twist you put on that, very low profile.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

Well done!

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Nice!

www.epictalentmedia.com

If you do this enough you’ll want to get some of the 300-400lb mono in a larger spool and buy your own crimps. They get beat up and break off a lot during the blacktips jumps if you’re not careful.

For more reports and photos Like Us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/requiemfishing

Matt, that haywire twist technique comes from a youth spent mending things around the farm with actual haywire. I’m pretty good with duct tape and spray foam as well.

Stan, thanks for the heads-up. Aside from a few half-hearted attempts last year, I’m just now getting into shark fishing. I know where my money will be going for a while…