Is there a mullet run here like in FL?

I remember several years ago I was in FL and there was serious mullet run along the beaches. I was on a hotel balcony and you could see tarpon, kings, cuda, jacks, etc blowing up bait right off the beach. I know a lot of people were able to get into these game fish off the surf and piers at that time.

Does that occur along the SC coast as well? Are there opportunities to stand in the surf, cast our a spoon/plug, run it back across the top of the water and have jacks, spanish, chase it?

yes, in the fall. the adults stack up in the inlets before making their offshore spawning migration, and meanwhile they get marauded by sharks, jacks, tarpon and the like.

lots of surf fun to be had starting next month that will keep you busy until fall comes around. i’ve caught jacks in the surf in june when they were blitzing finger mullet, and spanish will be here soon for the summer.

Cool! Thanks Barbawang.
Although I mostly use the fly rod, I love running topwater baits across the surface and watching fish blow up on it. Lots of fun. I might try the flyrod in the surf when it warms up but you can get worn out blind casting an 8 wt all day.

Interesting… When have you caught Spanish or Tarpon in the surf? Water is very dirty here, so you don’t see many spanish caught in the surf. Pier rats only caught a couple spanish all year, and I never heard of any Tarpon being reported.

The fall time is very productive around here. We landed a lot of bull reds in the surf. Not sure about the spring time run.
Shark fishing is pretty solid though, and I caught a fair amount of pompano during the summer.

quote:
Originally posted by jnail923

Interesting… When have you caught Spanish or Tarpon in the surf? Water is very dirty here, so you don’t see many spanish caught in the surf. Pier rats only caught a couple spanish all year, and I never heard of any Tarpon being reported.

The fall time is very productive around here. We landed a lot of bull reds in the surf. Not sure about the spring time run.
Shark fishing is pretty solid though, and I caught a fair amount of pompano during the summer.

when the water is clear and there’s bait around in the warm months, those same guys catching “only a couple” spanish from the piers are also the ones getting greyhounded by 100lb poons and smoker kings. i didn’t say all of the aforementioned happened in the surf- he asked about surf and piers, and i already qualified my statement.

quote:
Originally posted by barbawang

yes, in the fall. the adults stack up in the inlets before making their offshore spawning migration, and meanwhile they get marauded by sharks, jacks, tarpon and the like.