jobs and fishing

Rap, you fishing Alaska again this Summer:question:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Rap, you fishing Alaska again this Summer:question:

I will be up there again this year from June to late Sept.

Hmmm, maybe Bolbieball was trying to point out how well the economy is doing because of our wonderful president? Either way, I find it amusing that someone as purportedly well-off as him worries about the little guy and what he spends on fishing.

As for me, my wife has never given me any grief about fishing and loves those rare occasions when I actually bring fresh fish home (shut up Vinman). I am an over-paid, under-worked government employee so I have the leave to take, I just have family commitments that have kept me off the water the last several months. Not complaining, your kids are only kids once.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

And… the Charleston area is one of the top concentrations of wealth in the US, ranked 5th the last time I checked. Many of these folks don’t need to work, and $500-$700 in fuel is a day’s worth of investment interest. The “economy” typically wont stop, or allow, these folks to fish - they can go no matter what.

For us “little” guys, low fuel prices have a lot to do with our ability to get out. We burn 40-50 gallons max on a trip to the ledge, divided by 3-4 guys, that’s a $60 day all in - bait, ice - POP.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Economy sure is going good if that many can splash in,drop at least $500-$700 in fuel,another couple hundred or so in bait.Dont forget the pop and beer and fried chicken,Pringles and so on.Who would have thought.

I think you’re doing it wrong. My boat is paid for and burns about 70 gallons a day offshore trolling. Split four ways with friends, that’s a relatively cheap day offshore and you get some great groceries. At the very most, an offshore trip costs $100 per person.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Bolbie’s got plenty of money but gets mad when us peon’s are on his water with him.</font id=“size2”>
I don’t get to go during the week, I work. Then I don’t get to go on the weekends since, invariably some moron asks if it the weather is going to be good on Saturday sometime around Wednesday night or Thursday and we all know what happens after that.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

says the baller with 2 new boats

:slight_smile:

hope youre good BB

quote:
Maybe my ideals would change if I had a trust fund...

Amen brother, I’d like to give it a try!

Well this went in not my intended direction for the most part. There were a few self employed responses that make sense. Don’t much care whether you make $20k a year and fish out of a jon boat or make $5M a year and fish out of a custom built yacht. Either way you still have to have the time off during regular working hours to go fishing, or do whatever you want to do.

I was thinking more along the lines of:
I am a lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc. and can’t randomly take a weekday off on short notice.
I am a police officer, firefighter, EMT, nurse, etc. and work x number of randomly scheduled days per week.
I own [insert here] business and have my employees run things while I’m fishing whenever I want.
I don’t have to work. Great, great granddaddy made all the money and we live off interest.
I won the lottery.

Just curious. Guess if some of y’all answered as I was expecting then I ought to answer for me. As an engineer (EIT) I have to work for somebody else in order to get my PE license. That makes short notice days off very difficult. For my part-time side grass cutting business working for myself I could see being able to reschedule, only problem is good fishing and grass cutting days are typically one and the same.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

I like fishin more than workin.You can work anytime.

‘87 Pacemaker 31’ SF
‘04 Renegade 29’ 2 225’s
‘97 Maycraft 17’ 40 hp

I own a seafood company

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by andyb

Well this went in not my intended direction for the most part.

i agree. i wish we could keep these jerks on topic.

nobody talks about what’s in the thread. like a bunch of 3 yr olds

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

says the baller with 2 new boats

:slight_smile:

hope youre good BB

You’ve got the wrong guy, Pea. I’ve got a little skiff that’s thirteen years old, and that’s it. At least until the wife gives me the green light for an offshore rig…

And Andy, my apologies for being complicit in hijacking your thread. It’s a good topic, one I’ve wondered about many times myself. It’s just hard for me to stand by when a guy who quite possibly has more money than anyone on this site talks about the economy like it would affect him either way.

To answer your question, I’m a soon-to-be financial advisor for a large bank. I’ve done nothing but study (Series 7 and 66) for the last several months, so it’s not a big deal to my employer if I take off an impromptu day for an offshore trip when an opportunity arises.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

Bart, i’ve got an eighteen dollar tax refund burning a hole in my pocket. should i drop it all on that hot gold mining stock, the one priced at 38cents that’s going to $100? thanks in advance buddy.

Sales baby. One of the few jobs you can make more money than doctors and don’t have to go to school for 8 years. :smiley:

Hey Pea, let my wife invest it for you.

Funny nobody has mentioned selling your soul to go fishing yet…

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

quote:
Originally posted by TTKarl

Funny nobody has mentioned selling your soul to go fishing yet…

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

Nice.

quote:
[i] To answer your question, I'm a soon-to-be financial advisor for a large bank. I've done nothing but study (Series 7 and 66) for the last several months, so it's not a big deal to my employer if I take off an impromptu day for an offshore trip when an opportunity arises.

Good for you, BB!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

To further explain my self employment and free time, I have a small vinyl graphics business that I run by myself. 95%+ of my business is online. I get up between 4-5am and work on my orders from the previous day and am normally free by 8-9am. Downside is that with the volume I do I have to do this 7 days a week. No real days off for me

Carolina Skiff J14, 25 Merc
Hydra-Sports 1800cc, 150 Johnson

Polyball with a box of gaffers and never left the dock.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014