Lake Jocassee trip

Beautiful water up here. The lake is so deep, over 300ft in a lot of places. Even up at the banks can be over 100ft. Water is crystal clear and most banks are rock faces, sandstone, and some sand beaches. Haven’t done any fishing so far just pulling kids on tube & exploring waterfalls.

3 Likes

That looks like so much fun… Hope to do something like that myself before too too long. Great pics too👍

Thanks, it is definitely worth checking out.
Hardly any houses on the lake & only a few boat ramps that are all in Devils Fork state park. There are roads, bridges, churches, town under the lake. They have places mark for diving to check out some of those places.

I worked in Seneca for a couple years. Jocassee is beautiful there’s moratorium cannot build any more houses I think there’s 7 of them on the lake.
When the parking lots are full they close them.
Stop at if I remember right it’s called anglers headquarters not far before the park. Them folks are very helpful will tell you everything you need to know to catch fish.
I caught some rainbow and brown trout when I was up there. Nothing to write home about only about 8 or 9 in.
But that was two more species to check off the list.

Check out the Stonehouse tunnel. Good place to go in the middle of the day when it’s super hot.
And cedar Creek rifle range if you want to do some shooting. He will meet some very interesting hillbillies out there.

Stumphouse Mountain Tunnel in Oconee County, South Carolina is an incomplete railroad tunnel for the Blue Ridge Railroad of South Carolina in Sumter National Forest. The tunnel, along with nearby Issaqueena Falls, are now a Walhalla city park. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

If they’re pumping water back into the lake, try drifting Nightcrawlers in the current, around the dam. Twenty to thirty feet deep, dusk, until after dark.

1 Like

Sometimes they’ll be closer to the intakes, sometimes farther out. Just let the current move you around, Been my most successful tactic by far, for Rainbows.

Whats was the water temp up there? Ive been told it stays pretty cool

1 Like

We just got back from the tunnel & falls. It felt so nice inside, natural a/c. When you get about 20ft from the tunnel opening you can start to feel the cool air rushing out towards you.
Hope to hit some more spots & then back on lake tomorrow.

Love being able to post pics from my phone now.

3 Likes

Good Luck tomorrow. Jocassee is a real circus, on the weekends!!

1 Like

Oh another thing they have the cabbage patch factory/farm not too far away

Yeah, i figured it would be crazy but we are going try to get out early.

Thanks for posting, you may have given me a new destination for this years vacation. Won’t even have to flush the engine after use. Any walleye in that lake? Been a long time since I’ve eaten one. You in a camper or staying somewhere?

No walleyes, but trout, perch, bream, bass, cats. I did read that several record SC fish came out of this lake.
We are in a Villa at Devils Fork. We have camped in past here but wanted to bring boat this time so went in with some family on a villa. They are about 2k a week & book out pretty far BUT there’s no where else to stay on this lake that we could find.
Lake Keowee which is just below Jocassee is more commercialized so it has a lot more places to stay. It has clear water out deep but looks like mostly red clay banks so nasty up close.

There’s a healthy population of Walleye’s in Hartwell, on, mostly, the Tugaloo River. People just don’t know how to fish for them, or, just don’t? So I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be indigenous to Jocassee? DNR also says there are no Northern Pike in South Carolina waters. I caught at least two in the mid seventies, out of Jocassee.

1 Like

In fact, here’s one caught a few days ago, from Lake Tugaloo…

ttps://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/south-carolina-record-walleye/

Oh well, looks like I must be missing something, when it comes to posting a link?

If you see the rig they’re using, it’s what we’ve always used to target Walleye’s on Hartwell, tipped with a whole Nightcrawler.

here ya go

Record-Walleye-caught-in-Oconee

Bottom dragging with a slow retrieval? I’d love to give it a try. Last time for me was about 30 years ago and we used leeches for bait.

Thanks for the help guys!!.. :slightly_smiling_face:

My son got this one yesterday just playing around.
Uploading: 20220611_181319.heic…

1 Like