Landscaping

Looking for one of those services where they just come by a couple times a month an maintain your yard: cut grass, get rid of weeds out of flower beds, edge, etc.

Anyone have a good landscaper that’s not going to make my wallet bleed?

How many acres do you have to maintain in said yard?

Just a quarter acre. More concerned about the beds and stuff. Grass/weeds has grown up through the pine straw.

Roundup!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Roundup!

Just spray it on top of the straw, or do I have to pull it all up and spray underneath? Also, what does it do to all of the flowers\plants that I want to keep?

SJ,

Once you get them killed try this stuff. Safe around plants, etc.
http://www.preen.com/products/preen-garden-weed-preventer

Round-up kills everything. One old trick is to take a 2 liter bottle and cut the bottom off and insert the spray nozzle from the tank sprayer through the small top opening and tape it in place once it has passed through a few inches. Then you can place the large open bottom over the target species and avoid over spray to save the plants…

RBF

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I did not have flower\plant beds in my yard growing up. Just grass…

So, if I spray round up, that kills everything? I’m assuming that you wait some period and then you can plant whatever after that? How long before you can plant again? And then what happens when more weeds start sprouting up?

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I did not have flower\plant beds in my yard growing up. Just grass…

So, if I spray round up, that kills everything? I’m assuming that you wait some period and then you can plant whatever after that? How long before you can plant again? And then what happens when more weeds start sprouting up?

Yes, round-up kills for the most part everything (not kudzu :smiley:)

Just read the directions on the bottle and you’ll be fine… I believe you can plant again in a few days…

If I were you, with small children, I’d just call the landscape guy and let them do it for a while… You’ll have time to kill weeds when the kidos are up and gone… Just my 2 cents of course… Use some of the BP dividend money and enjoy life…:smiley:

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

Just read the directions on the bottle and you’ll be fine… I believe you can plant again in a few days…

If I were you, with small children, I’d just call the landscape guy and let them do it for a while… You’ll have time to kill weeds when the kidos are up and gone… Just my 2 cents of course… Use some of the BP dividend money and enjoy life…:smiley:

RBF

I called one landscaper so far and they were talking about $300 per month, and they want a yearly contract. That's pretty rich for my blood!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

RBF

I called one landscaper so far and they were talking about $300 per month, and they want a yearly contract. That's pretty rich for my blood!

I am sure that’s an estimate… Once they see your new house, it’ll go up another hundy or so…

RBF

You can pull back the straw and place a weed barrier underneath for the long-term. Just an example…

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Patio-Lawn-Garden-Weed-Barrier-Fabric/zgbs/lawn-garden/3480708011

Since the straw is new, easier to do it now…

RBF

Skineeman , roundup has to come in contact with the foliage . It will not kill the seeds that have not germinated . DO NOT spray roundup when there is the least bit of a breeze , it only takes a small amount to kill some plants or grass . I have made a shield of light weight metal nailed to a stick of wood with the metal formed in a semi circle to hold up next to a plant to keep said spray from touching the leaves .

Remember do not spray when wind is blowing , some plants are really sensitive to this stuff . Mix a little dish detergent in to bond spray to the leaves and to see what you have sprayed

notsoSkinneej, you afraid to get your hands dirty? Landscape contractor, robot vacuum cleaner…does that smart refrigerator self clean too?

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

notsoSkinneej, you afraid to get your hands dirty? Landscape contractor, robot vacuum cleaner…does that smart refrigerator self clean too?

Not afraid. Just don't have the extra time laying around. At some point you have to assign a value to your time and then only do things that are "worth" it... Things that are not worth your time, pay someone else to do it, who is happy to earn a living and feed his\her family.

It’s called “economics”.

Do you change the oil on your own car or outsource it?

Drive it on the ramps at the farm, unscrew drain plug and filter,poof. I do change my own.

Also happen to edge and string trim on Friday afternoons, mow early Saturday morning,2 acres and change, no problem. I grew up having to have 10 acres mowed every Saturday, before I thought of any other activities, so its second nature to me.

There are plenty of good self employed mow,blow,and go operations, that’s who you need. I would ask a locally owned small engine repair shop who is reliable, mechanics know who take care of their stuff, and may can point you to a small one man operation . If not try your local plant nursery, they sometimes have good people in mind.

quote:

Drive it on the ramps at the farm, unscrew drain plug and filter,poof. I do change my own.

Also happen to edge and string trim on Friday afternoons, mow early Saturday morning,2 acres and change, no problem. I grew up having to have 10 acres mowed every Saturday, before I thought of any other activities, so its second nature to me.

There are plenty of good self employed mow,blow,and go operations, that’s who you need. I would ask a locally owned small engine repair shop who is reliable, mechanics know who take care of their stuff, and may can point you to a small one man operation . If not try your local plant nursery, they sometimes have good people in mind.

Well, that is why I am asking CF.com. I'm asking for recommendations.

As for my Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings, they are spent with the family. Much more fulfilling than pulling weeds out of a garden. I like to automate or outsource mundane tasks that add no value to my life.

Once you change your oil, where do you dispose of it?

Used oil? All goes to a certain construction company’s recycled oil tank, I think it then goes to the GOFER project .

quote:

Used oil? All goes to a certain construction company’s recycled oil tank, I think it then goes to the GOFER project .

Yeah, used oil. How do you transport it to where it goes, and then when you dump it into the construction company's tank is there someone who comes to pick it up? And, how much do they pay for that service?

I don’t have access to a construction company’s oil tank.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/search/fgs

quote:
quote:

Yeah, used oil. How do you transport it to where it goes, and then when you dump it into the construction company's tank is there someone who comes to pick it up? And, how much do they pay for that service?

I don’t have access to a construction company’s oil tank.

why are you jumping from landscaping contractors, to what I do with the used oil? You asked if I changed the oil in my own vehicle.