Late Post from 8/3

Fished an early tide this past Wednesday again and it was some fun.

Figured you guys would find one of these catches interesting. All fish were caught on incoming tide using live mullet. They Spanish and ladies were blasting mullet from behind the school. Probably a few thousand mullet in half hours time getting destroyed by some predators.

My son didn’t want to hold either of the Spanish or ladies because, “they look to strong to hold onto Daddy.” He wasn’t completely wrong. Def some strong streamliners.

294375077_3967428580148445_5999957575046288101_n

296169504_1168847810344416_1389276570988461917_n

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Wasn’t aware you could catch Spanish in the surf. Those Ladyfish are slimy and not sure why they are called “Ladyfish” as it seems anytime I have brought one into the boat, they poop all over it. Fun to catch though. Love to see folks getting out worth their kids.

Glad to see a Dad spending time with his kid! Memories forever and wholesome fun. That Ladyfish would make some excellent Shark bait. Like Dfreedom says, they are slimy and messy fish. I’ve eaten most everything, but never a ladyfish… That Spanish is a good eater, just remove the blood lines.

That is AWESOME!!!

Couldn’t think of a better way to spend the day.

Great report! The spanish and ladies will hang in the same spot while chasing bait like that. I’ve seen them really close to the beach like that a good bit. It seems like they are pushing the bait up against the shoreline to more easily target them. Gotcha plugs or other small surface splashing lures in that situation are a ton of fun. Cast beyond the school and then rip that thing through there as fast as you can. Spanish are good eating too!

Saw some on a slick day years back and got the fly in front of them. That’s a situation where after your cast, you put your flyrod in between your knees to hold it, and then two hand strip it super fast. They won’t even look at it unless its a fast moving target.

Ladyfish,the poor man’s tarpon. I have lost quite a few lures to them when I’m using braid.The gill plate cuts it I believe.Time for the big ones to show up in the Cooper,reckon I need to tie on some fluorocarbon leaders because I can’t resist throwing to a school.haha