Late Report From Last Saturday

This is a bit late coming. I started writing last Saturday but was too busy to finish it til now. I put in at Edgar C. Glenn Boat Ramp at 11 last Saturday morning. Since it was getting very close to low tide the water was out of the grass so I didn’t bother putting my minnow trap in. I headed up Chechessee Creek and then another creek off of that looking for redfish in the shallows among some oyster mounds. It was a spot I picked from google earth. Water temps were about 65. I spent a lot of time looking around and covered a good bit of area but saw no signs of redfish. I did see plenty of mullet and some stingrays swimming by. I was fishing w/ plastics but had no bites. I scouted around as the tide started coming in but still saw no sign of fish.

This is the place. Is this the kind of place you’d expect to find redfish during the winter low tide?

Here’s the location and I was there just before low tide and for an hour plus of the incoming.

After the tide had come back in for a while longer I made my way over to a creek off the Broad River into Rose Island to fish some down trees in the creek bend. First I found a spot and put out my minnow trap. I fished 3/16 oz. Trout Eye heads in red eye and pearl with the 3 inch Zman MinnowZ Pearl/Blue Glimmer and the Scented ShrimpZ Electric Chicken. Water temps were about 61. The tips of the downed trees were in about 10 - 13 feet of water. I fished the jig very slowly just bumping it very slightly along the bottom as the incoming current carried it back to the boat. The first fish I caught was a 14 inch trout that came up after the ShrimpZ and hit it about 5 feet under the water surface as I was bring it back in to cast again. I broke that off on the tree so put one of the MinnowZ’s on and used the same technique. I hooke

Flicker, I’ve been finding the reds way back in the creeks and in some skinny water, less that 2 feet. MM’s seemed to work the best. I found some of my spots by watching where the dolphins were coming out of the creeks. I found two that way. The water was so shallow that they were throwing a big bow wave. They looked like torpedoes going through the water. Found the reds way in the back were the dolphins couldn’t get to them.

Cajun, Thanks for the ■■■■■■■■. The spot I was fishing is as you described. Lots of oyster mounds, about as far back in the creek as I could get and very shallow water. I’ve seen redfish doing as you described also - just no signs at this spot.

I’ll be out looking again soon.

Flicker, there is/was an unwritten rule to leave out the specifics of good fishing locations in your reports. Otherwise, they get “fished out” in a hurry. No harm in asking the type area where reds, etc. are found this time of year. Some on here will PM spots to try without alerting the internet posse.

Good luck with your scouting trips! Google Earth is a good tool for finding areas to search.

Good to see the trout activity. Hopefully, many trout survived the mild winter.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

PM sent.

spec

PM sent.

spec

Great report.

Thanks Spec and Reeldawg.

I agree on omitting specific location info from reports but since there were no fish in this area I included it hoping to get some ■■■■■■■■ to see if I was in an ok spot or completely clueless.

I went out again this Saturday and got skunked. Hence no report.

We are approaching the best “trout time” of the year for large roe trout. April and May are usually great for trout on the rips around little points that extend off white shell beds in the main rivers. Look for areas with clear water, which usually means incoming tide. White gulps or other shrimp imitations on a light mono/floro leader at least 4ft under a popping cork work well until brown shrimp come in around the first of June. Reds are better in the fall - at least for me.

spec

Hey flicker, I would keep checking that spot,it must be one of spec’s secret honey holes.

Nope. I never fished that creek. But, it looks fishy. My guess is it would be great in the fall for shrimp and reds on low tide and maybe trout over the shellbeds on incoming. Reds now are probably so far back in the creeks that flipper (and boats) cannot get to them.

spec