Let's talk cast nets

I am in need of a new cast net, and there used to be quite the discussion on here about the nets with the best quality and weight ratio.
All I have ever used are the Betts nets. My net casting skills are mediocre and its not often we actually get to go, however I am interested in a decent net. What say you?

I purchased a black pearl about 10-12 years ago that I still use. It’s been the best bet I’ve ever owned

Tim Wade in florida has the reputation above all others for custom nets and amazing service

I don’t know if Black Pearls are still around, they were kind of the “big company” top of the line. I was typing this while Po Boy beat me to it.

I have a Bett’s Super Pro, only factory taped net i’ve ever had. it is nice for the price, but i’m not sure if you’re talking about throwing over bait or planing it out for the deep drops. big difference in terms of the pounds of lead per radius foot that you’ll be wanting to huck for each application.

1 Like

I’m using a 8 foot who knows what brand that i’ve had for years… its still putting shrimp in the cooler.

A lot of guides I know use Fitec nets and love them. They are deep holing pretty much all year round with them. I’m going to get one soon for that reason.

1 Like

I need some guidance one day on tossing the deephole net. I struggle with it.

I think i’m going to try deep holing this year instead of baiting. we did it once last year for about an hour or two before dark and only got a quarter cooler, but didn’t have to stay and run poles half the night.

I run a 5’ Betts for the creek and a 7’ taped Fitec 1lb/ft. Both are 1/2" mesh I think. I have no desire to throw a 10’ or 12’ deephole net ever again in my life, much less pull that dang thing up from 40’ + at times. besides, an empty net is a HEAVY net no matter the size.

1 Like

Never did it more than 25’…

Lucky you :smile:

Best cooler I ever did solo was 45mins in 55’. Had to stick my arm down in the water for the net to hit bottom without pulling closed. Almost all of that 45mins was the net either falling or being retrieved

2 Likes

:muscle: :muscle: :+1:

1 Like

Tim Wade… Hands down the best net you’ll ever throw. May be too late to get one for this season, but go ahead and do yourself a favor and order one for next year.

I mailed off a check for 3 nets on 7/11 and got them about a month later. He has 3 to 4 employees now.

I’ve used betts entry line to pro, fitec, Beau stryker(version from tackle shop in Beaufort which is made by fitec),cracker,pearl,bait buster,south bend(90s version from navy base exchange)and many others I can’t remember. Pearl twisted at leadline too much and sold it to another member. Cracker was nice to throw but leadline broke too fast where it was threaded to bottom of net, still use it after re lining the leadline.Hands down I like the fitec and when the shrimp run hard the wade comes out every time.

Fitec for me.

What brand is this one?

What was the name of that store down on king,George West I think, I got a helluva cast net when mono first came out.

I think it was a marine boat supply store they sold crap pots I believe back in the mid 80s.

Maybe Coleman marine supply?