Lobster Diving 11/20 - photos

We were scheduled to head out Sunday morning but the captain didn’t like the forecast so on to plan B. We loaded up Eric’s boat and hit the water at 7am to be met by a gentle swell all the way to 100ft. We tested the water with some butter fly jigs and were covered up in sea bass. Eric dropped his camera down and shot some video and said the bottom looked good so over the side we went. Long story short, we ended the day with a few grouper and a good haul of lobster. I had an awesome time as usual Eric, Ed, Jimmy, and Mike.
Eric feel free to post the video you took. I’d like to see that hogfish.

Hellooo beautiful!

Friggin huge turtle. Anyone know what kind?

Lobster and a few horses

Grouper giving me the stare down.

If you notice my spear tip in the bottom left, this was just before I opened a hole in the side of this nasty invasive lion fish.

Jimmy

Jimmy again
[img]http://

Don’t know why our first cap’t backed out, the weather was awesome, good thing I had 8 tanks already filled! we really felt let down, backup plan was ready in 15min and realfish01 pulled one out as always! water temp was 70’ top to bottom, vis about 30’, the grouper were not as plentiful as last weekend but the diving was awesome! jimmy fixed some awesome lunch and mike miller had some killer venison ajoure(spelling) sandwiches for desert, killer food!
5 lobster
5gags, 12/20lbs
1 flounder
1 cubera snapper
& a great time with a great crew!

If it got any better I couldn’t stand it.

Nice fish and lobster. Nice vis as well, I’m hoping to get out over Thanksgiving if the weather will allow it.

Bug Catcher you did not tell me your captain let you down! This was your suppose to the the “sponsored” trip right? Going to have to give him a hard time about that. :smiley:

Set the trap boys, we going to pass through them again!!

Hey weather didn’t look great three days out, two days out, and just barely the night before…The last thing I wanted was a boat of criers about the weather, little did I know…We will get out there on the AP. Where are the hogs?

O
O ______ O o
O(__/ __) o
O o (o) o < o ))) ><
260 Glacier Bay - 2x150
FISH FOR THE FUTURE:
Selective divers set their sights on only those few prize game fish they will enjoy eating

Loggerhead. Nice pics BTW…

Seems kind of dangerous flipping in backwards with a charged gun. We never load ours on the boat. Just not worth the potential outcome of an accident.

Saw that as well, but to each his own, I usually load when I hit the water or on the way down. If a band popped when it is close to your face rolling out, it could suck pretty bad.

And by the way, yall are something fierce at finding nice lobster.

Or an accidental discharge to send a spear flying. Camera man’s gun is loaded too and pointed in the general direction of another person. Gun safety 101!!!

I noticed all of that, to each their own, but I know a few people that have lost business, been shot in the stomach, blasted their electronics, or been sued for negligence on a boat like that (all separate instances), its why my gun storage is located OUTSIDE the boat. Ed, i had bad dreams about it and feel bad about not making the run, but I am sticking by my decision. You went with 12 more feet of boat and 3x the horsepower, the diving looked good, but I didn’t think it was right to push the envelope on my first, last and ONLY “donated” trip ever since all the “winners” were local and could afford to wait for the right day. We will get out there soon.

O
O ______ O o
O(__/ __) o
O o (o) o < o ))) ><
260 Glacier Bay - 2x150
FISH FOR THE FUTURE:
Selective divers set their sights on only those few prize game fish they will enjoy eating

Lol looks like I need to have my lawyer review all my pictures before I post them. CF never lets me down. I normally don’t load on the boat either but with the type of drifting drop we were doing it was easiest. We are very aware of where our guns are pointed at all times. Broken bands suck but they won’t kill you.

14’ Pamlico 140 Angler w/ rudder
Kayak, SCUBA, or both.

Noted on the preload. We usually dont roll like that.

Great trip. Super stoker realfish02 was able to rally so fast.

Thanks to Mike M. for the great venison au jus.

And i think i may have sold Riffe for you V.

True… My sawed off JBL let me down on 3 grouper that aren’t feeling so hot right now. Vic I’ll be by the shop sometime this week to look at longer guns. Do you have any of the Padauk guns in stock?

Kayak, SCUBA, or both.

quote:
Originally posted by JordanOnaYak

Lol looks like I need to have my lawyer review all my pictures before I post them. CF never lets me down. I normally don’t load on the boat either but with the type of drifting drop we were doing it was easiest. We are very aware of where our guns are pointed at all times. Broken bands suck but they won’t kill you.

Kayak, SCUBA, or both.

If it were a loaded shotgun, would you have laid it across the transom like that pointed at someone else? Just saying... No need to get defensive. Would just rather not read about you guys in the paper. In diving, complaceny kills...

Very nice pics of the bugs!

What kind of camera are y’all using to view stuff on the boat?

www.scmarine.org

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

It’s my Canon SD870IS in an underwater housing but don’t tell my boss because I work for FujiFilm…

Edit: Oh you may have meant Eric’s GoPro on a 4lb weight. The other one we often use is a SeaView on a cable that sends a live video feed back to a TV set.

Kayak, SCUBA, or both.

quote:
Originally posted by JordanOnaYak

Kayak, SCUBA, or both.

Welcome to success on the ocean then posting about it on the internet. This is the reason VERY VERY few of our best local fisherman both recreational and charter don’t post on this site.

Set the trap boys, we going to pass through them again!!

I wish I lived in Miami

Never been out with a more experienced and knowledgeable crew. Safety is top priority with them. Great day on the water y’all!!! Eric might try to hit the jetties for some sheeps this weekend if I can manage some free time will let you know if we go!!

Victor: CRIERS, REALLY… I have never questioned a captain’s decision. I’m always disapointed when a trip is called off due to weather. i have been doing this a long time and between myself and Eric, after watching the weather for 7 days, we made the call to go. The habor was like glass and the ocean was perfect. As far as safety, i have never had anyone complain about our diving procedures. we review them before we get in the water and continously throughout the day, particularly if we have a new crew member aboard. my dive computer shows 60 dives this season and not one was a sand dive, and every ascent was finished witin 20yrds of the boat! it is the divers decision wether or not he wants his gun loaded before he bails. many a cobia, tuna, and AP has fell victim to an astute diver on the drop.it is the difference between a hunter and a scoobydoo. we also drop each diver on opposite sides of the boat to prevent accidents. many of the best fish are killed as the diver hits the bottom. I will not allow single divers on our crew, we are a team @ all times! If your ego gets in the way you won’t get anymore calls! if you look at the loaded gun on the stern and it went off by some miracle it would have missed the desent buoy by a good 3 foot to the right (eventhough that pop gun couldn’t kill a grouper at 3 foot). I have never seen a broken band hurt any diver other then his feelings.(if the safty is on, it won’t cause the gun to fire!) as with any loaded weapon, if you point it at me you won’t be invited back! The diver put his gun down to take a picture of the photogenic rusty jimmmy! i trust both of these divers. No complacentcy in our crew. many of our procedures are adopted by divers after they have spent an afternoon with us. i have been diving longer than skinneej and other divers on this site have been alive. i may be doing it long after they quit but i am always aware of my surroundings and the safety issues and dangers that are present in this environment and this site, and still willing to learn