Luxury Tow SUV help

Looking for help on a new car purchase for the wife. We have done a tremendous amount of research, and am about exhausted with looking and test drives. Hoping for any insight, or real world experience from folks in the same position. This is what we are looking for.

Third row seats
RWD bias, with 4low or AWD
Tall rear windows for visibility
5000# plus towing
High end interior
Decent mpg 21 combined or higher

We have looked at everything, and I mean everything. About the last few we haven’t driven are the, Mercedes GL350 diesel, Land Rover LR4, and Volvo XC90.

The Lexus GX460 was almost the winner this week, but its low mpg, and cheaper than most luxury cars interior for the price left us disappointed. Durango made a strong case, but the rear visibility was rough, and all,the electronic goodies made me question long term reliability.

Any help,or opinions is appreciated.

First world problems.

I can tell you that the LR4 is a dang nice setup. I love the way everything looks on this truck. I’ve road tripped this car and the seats aren’t all as comfortable as I would have thought. The interior is beautiful and has more than enough electronics to make any computer geek happy. For comfort, I like that Lexus much much better, but I’d rather have comfort over style/performance these days anyways.

I realize its smaller, but have you looked at the BMW X5? They offer third row in that I’m pretty sure, but its considerably smaller than the others you have listed. Incredible cars though.

We have. And may go back again to look at the BMW. The rear visibility was tight but liked everything else. The MPG and power was great. And the interior was awesome. The third row doesn’t matter about size as long as it’s there.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Suburban, gas is cheap these days. Mine gets 13mpg sometimes it’s up around 16 on longer drives.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

First world problems.

I can tell you that the LR4 is a dang nice setup. I love the way everything looks on this truck. I’ve road tripped this car and the seats aren’t all as comfortable as I would have thought. The interior is beautiful and has more than enough electronics to make any computer geek happy. For comfort, I like that Lexus much much better, but I’d rather have comfort over style/performance these days anyways.

I realize its smaller, but have you looked at the BMW X5? They offer third row in that I’m pretty sure, but its considerably smaller than the others you have listed. Incredible cars though.

I’m with you. I like the looks of a Dodge or Ford, but I just bought a Chevy. I dont ride on the outside of a truck.

Your bring up Mercedes, Volvo , Land Rover , and Lexus and then worry about fuel mileage ? I’ve used one to pull a loaded horse trailer, boat, camper and never had an issue. They are offering a 2017 with the new eco tech 5.3 getting 23mpg highway and rated at 8300lb tow cap.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Toyota land cruiser - 21 mpg is going to be tough in any gas V8

Jeep was putting the v6 eco diesel in some of their stuff but I don’t know if one would consider jeep high end. It has the towing rating though.

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/eco-diesel-calculator/

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Merc in diesel gets 25 mpg. Volvo gets mid 20, and yes the LR4 is as bad as the Lexus. But they have an all new Discovery coming out in a few months that weighs 1000# lighter and should get better MPG.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Your bring up Mercedes, Volvo , Land Rover , and Lexus and then worry about fuel mileage ? I’ve used one to pull a loaded horse trailer, boat, camper and never had an issue. They are offering a 2017 with the new eco tech 5.3 getting 23mpg highway and rated at 8300lb tow cap.

That man is trying to make mama happy; leave him alone! :smiley:

No doubt. If it was up to me I would already have a Land Cruiser, Lexus GX or Yukon in the driveway.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Sequoia?

Never mind. Saw the 21mpg.

We have a Durango, and I’m going to tell you right now that 21mpg is the best you’ll ever see. That’s with the 3.6l. If I could afford a high end SUV, it would be the Sequoia, hands down.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Not sure why Ford and Chevy has abandoned the RWD midsize SUV market unlike Chrysler, Toyota, and all the Euro brands. Nissan just joined them a few years ago with the new FWD Pathfinder and Infiniti. Lazy way to get comfort and MPG.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Sounds like a GMC Acadia.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

We have a Durango, and I’m going to tell you right now that 21mpg is the best you’ll ever see. That’s with the 3.6l. If I could afford a high end SUV, it would be the Sequoia, hands down.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

On the Durango, we were looking at a 4wd Hemi with the new 8 speed. It has 22 hwy on the sticker. Sticker rating is good enough for me to get by mama. Not concerned if it is less in real world.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

Sounds like a GMC Acadia.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

FWD, but yeah they are nice otherwise.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

We have a 2012 Chevy Traverse. AWD, tows well, drives nice, can get a pretty decent interior, 3rd row seats (roomy), we have captains seats in the mid-row. The interior dimensions/volume is actually larger than most full size SUVs.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Thanks, but it has to be RWD bias. I haven’t found a transverse mounted drivetrain that can handle towing a camper well yet, IMO. This is replacing a full size pickup and kid hauler. Not looking for 10k# towing like I have now as we just have a pop up and 17’ Whaler, but it does need to be engineered with towing in mind. Ford and Chevy seem to focus on carrying people first and then towing is an afterthought.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Ford and Chevy seem to focus on carrying people first and then towing is an afterthought.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Isn’t that what the vast majoirty of SUV owners use their vehicles for?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Yeah, they must know something all the others don’t. Must be why their resale value is so high on these FWD crossovers. Whatever happened to SUVs being rugged enough to carry dogs, gear, boats, and people. Not just people. Some of them are basically minivans with doors. Nothing like my old S10 Blazers or Pathfinders.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115