Luxury Tow SUV help

I agree, but you sound like it’s a surprise…SUV’s aren’t really SPORT or UTILITY anymore…they’re geared at soccer moms and styled for them as well.

In my opinion, what you’re after doesn’t really exist. You will be settling on one no matter where you wind up. I wish you luck, sounds like a helluva conundrum to be in.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Mom has the new Tahoe, those things are nice enough to me…but I drive a Silverado. :smiley:

Maybe, but I doubt it. BMW X5 is very close at the moment. Will take another test drive afternoon as well as look at the LR4.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

If you plan to keep it outside of warranty, I’d think twice about a LR or BMW. Also, if you are not leasing, the depreciation will be substancial on the LR and BMW. Can’t beat a Landcruiser (other than MPG). Ours has 215K on her and still purrs and drives like new! We have owned all three brands thru the years and no way I’d buy anything other than the Landcruiser

We’re in our second X5…in another 150,000-200,000 miles, will be in number three!

LR was a bust. Great visibility, loved the air suspension, and utility was awesome. MPG and premium sucked. Not a lot of pickup from a stop. And like others have pointed out reliability is suspect. Even though offered a 100k bumper to bumper warranty to try and earn our business.

Land cruiser would be my choice as well. But too big for her. I’m a big Toyota fan boy. I built a 71 FJ40, so I get the allegiance to Toyota. With that said. BMW and Mercedes have a solid reputation.

BMW X5 and Volvo XC90 in the morning.

Our fall back pick to settle is a limited 4wd 4Runner.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

We have a Durango, and I’m going to tell you right now that 21mpg is the best you’ll ever see. That’s with the 3.6l. If I could afford a high end SUV, it would be the Sequoia, hands down.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

On the Durango, we were looking at a 4wd Hemi with the new 8 speed. It has 22 hwy on the sticker. Sticker rating is good enough for me to get by mama. Not concerned if it is less in real world.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

We have a 2014 Rallye. All black with black rims, that little 3.6 will get up and go, too. I’d love to have the Hemi, but for a grocery getter\baby hauler, it’s pretty nice. I will say this, we looked at a ton of stuff, and for our price range, we couldn’t find anything else that we liked as much. The 5 year 100k warranty didn’t hurt either.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Toyota Sequioa is great, only issue is the mileage isn’t the best but we’ve loaded it down with everything we needed for the mountains & towed a boat as well. Got about 12mpg running around 75.

21 Contender

Bought the wife a 2015 Tahoe LT last year, got one with the max tow package, 5.3, brake controller, 3.42 gears instead of 3.08. Dont tow anything but my 197 pioneer but the thing has way better get up and go with the 3.42’s and still averages 20-21mpg on the highway. Love the car.

Can’t go wrong with the Landcruiser.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

Nothing but problems outa the Vulva XC90

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

I bet that’s an expensive model.:wink::wink:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

You’ve had it a year and already having problems? They just came out in 2016.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Have you looked at the Nissan Armada or Infiniti qx80? The 5.6 is a great engine! Not the best mileage but that engine has been around for a while and had few problems. 2017 they came out with the new body style but kept the same proven 5.6.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Land/Range Rovers have terrible reliability ratings. My old boss had one (forget which model) and I can remember picking her up or dropping her off at the shop many times.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

The Volvo was a no-go. Too car-like. And drove pretty rough for $60k SUV.

The BMW has probably checked more boxes of any Luxury ute yet, and we may just go with that. The Mercedes even though it was big and covered most all basis, you couldn’t see out the side window because of the rear seats.

If not the BMW, we may just fall back to a Limited 4WD 4runner. Much easier on the wallet, better mpg, and more reliable than probably anything but the GX460 so far. I’m going to try one last time to convince her that the GX has a nice interior, and the MPG isn’t all that bad so hopefully we can just go back and pick that one up.

Thanks for all the help.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

The Volvo was a no-go. Too car-like. And drove pretty rough for $60k SUV.

The BMW has probably checked more boxes of any Luxury ute yet, and we may just go with that. The Mercedes even though it was big and covered most all basis, you couldn’t see out the side window because of the rear seats.

If not the BMW, we may just fall back to a Limited 4WD 4runner</font id=“red”>. Much easier on the wallet, better mpg, and more reliable than probably anything but the GX460 so far. I’m going to try one last time to convince her that the GX has a nice interior, and the MPG isn’t all that bad so hopefully we can just go back and pick that one up.

Thanks for all the help.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Winner winner chicken dinner.

i second the bmw X5. i have one currently. the AWD system is incredible in snow.

I was in your position a year or so ago. Was struggling with having to pay MSRP on RR’s, nothing else really grabbed me. I had a Chevy avalanche and on a whim went to look at what Chevy had. Took a LXT Tahoe out, super impressed with the improvements. Has all the bells and whistles, nice quiet ride, very happy. Plus the MSRP is 70ish and they deal.

Folks, what worries me about the 4Runner and even the GX is that it is a very tired design. These things have been around for 9 years now without an update. When I look at the 4Runner, it doesn’t even come with any of the safety features that a 2017 Corolla comes with. No blind spot sonar, no lane assist, or smart cruise control. I am not saying I want all of this, but what it tells me is that they are about to retire these vehicles for something new, and its not worth the R&D to add these new features to it. Granted the new design could be wimpier and all the better to get one of these now, but I can’t help to think about driving an immediately outdated design when we plan to keep this vehicle for 10-12 years.

The BMW just got updated 3 years ago, and the new design looks much like the old so it doesn’t like it is going anywhere for another 4-5 years.

With the GX someone can roll beside you in a 2002 and basically be the same truck as the new 2017. Not saying there is anything wrong with that as they both look great. But if you paid $60k wouldn’t you want it to distinguish itself from the same one a guy just paid $10k for?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115