Mary Lee

Between fishing, surfing and family time boating I spend a lot of time in and on the water. Many of my friends, mostly those that are from inland areas, ask me if I ever get worried about sharks. If you enter another predators habitat and are not the least bit worried about that predator then you are most likely ignorant to that predators capabilities. I have been fascinated by sharks since a very young age and consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable of these apex predators. Over the years I have done a lot of shark fishing and I have seen firsthand just how ferocious sharks can be when tempted with some chum. Am I afraid of sharks, YES; however, I do not let my fear deter me from entering the water.

Since I am fairly knowledgeable of sharks, my fear level with different species native to our waters varies. For instance when I am in the river wading and throwing the cast net with bait bucket in tow, my biggest concern is a Bull Shark. When I am at the beach surfing my concerns are Hammerheads, Tigers, and Great Whites. Great Whites, native to this area? SC lowcountry and Great Whites. Come on!

Several years ago a very knowledgeable captain of a local boat salvage company claimed to have seen a Great White while fishing a wreck in 90-feet of water, many disregarded the story figuring he had just been in the beer too much. The year before last a Great White washed up on Morris Island; many pinned it as a fluke occurrence. Well as it turns out Ocearch Global Shark Tracker has been tracking a 3500 lb Great White named Mary Lee. This past weekend Mary Lee cruised within a mile of the beach at Isle of Palms. While little is known about them at this point in time; Great Whites are in our waters. Mary Lee is headed south now just off the coast of GA. You can keep tabs on her movement online at http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/. Just punch in her name under the sharks tab and track her by the day, the week, or the month!

Tight lines
Captain Tim Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com