Miss Phin Cinco de Mayo Americanos this afternoon.

That 23sailfish guy is a stellar gentleman I say.

Luke 8:22-25

P1 gave me $10 to say that.

I’m back and I’ve promised to behave this time.
I want to be like Fritz when I grow up.
Edisto-Fisher is my hero…internetly speaking.
My heart is in Antarctica.
Lone Ranger is a tool…man.

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

Phin,
Check your mail.

Purpose One Charters
www.purposeonecharters.com
purposeone@comcast.net

quote:
Originally posted by Phin

However, do you honestly think that I cannot deduce either the size or possibly the species of fish in the two shots above based on the formations and thickness of the arches/blobs showing on the returns?

I’m just saying… Where did the word “Possibly” come up in your earlier rantings??? This is indeed classic backpeddling.

“Your transducer sucks if you can’t tell the difference between cigars, small grunts or b liners and triggers. Triggers worth fooling with will show your more solid colors (like yellow) while the smaller and softer fish will rarely even show red; they usually show as black. Amberjacks and rudderfish are usually in much larger schools than other fish we’ll encounter, and they’re tighter than big snapper.”

"If you were better with your sonar, then maybe you’d not be so quick to jump in and get visual verification that you have in fact dropped your buoy on a 2’ ledge that’s almost as prolifically covered with lobsters as greg1’s old tuscaloosa dorm room was with roaches. I reckon diving is good for something, huh?

“Hey… how do you think I was able to get us on the scamp and red snapper above? You don’t think I just went to some old numbers do you?”

“The spot is actually several hundred feet each way, but some parts of it tend to show bait and others tend to show trash fish… others seem to show some better quality fish.”

“Simplifying things down again for you- your transducer truly sucks if you cannot tell the difference between certain types of fish.”

“I have been on the boat with you when you refused to dive a spot that only had a small show on it. I saw even on your sounder spots that had grouper on them”

Also, this is pretty interesting:

“Triggers show arches differently with little to no color in them, but they are not as flat as B liners.”

“Triggers worth fooling with will show your more solid colors (like yellow) while the smaller and softer fish will rarely even show red”

Let’s see…will it be crickets chirping or more backpeddling?

Any wagers?

Chirp chirp

He took the bait like a jugbelly redfish on an olive and white clouser.

Wow. Chirp chirp it is.

I would estimate i’ve looked at the sounder and dove what i looked at well over 1000 times. Not to mention hearing the report back on the surface from other divers after seeing the fish show. I still can’t tell the difference between grouper, snapper, triggers etc.

I can see how someone can make reasonable guess at amberjack, spadefish on wrecks, etc but anyone who looks at the screen and says… see that blip, thats a grouper, thats a snapper is blowing smoke up your butt or psychic. :smiley:

Rob H
Charleston diving
http://www.charlestondiving.com
(Fish not Biting? Try a fast presentation of spring steel)</font id=“green”>

wow

Good luck to all of you aspiring bottom fishermen out there reading this. You apparently don’t really need to know what your sounder is showing. What good is one anyhow? All you can tell is that “something” is down there. Could be a ball of squid. Could be a ball of beer cans. Nobody can know what a cloud of cigar minnows looks like, much less a trigger fish or ten… You need an underwater camera, a couple dozen scuba tanks or a free diver on board before you’ll ever get anywhere, boys.

Perhaps everybody’s just lucky. I’m going to sound arrogant here, but limiting out on species you target with rod and reel takes a bit more than luck. Luck is involved. Blessings are involved. But there’s more to it, just like there’s more to catching tuna or wahoo than just going out to the ledge during the summer time and dragging baits. Or is there? :smiley: And there’s more to doing a technical dive and doing impressive work within 10 minutes time.

I am an amateur and I’ve told you all what I believe and how I fish. It may not work for you, but I feel that it does for me. I don’t just happen upon fish. I go into an area and look for what I want to catch until I see it. I don’t go to a number and fish it. I look for the fish I want and do not waste time on other fish showing. I know some people go out to a spot and will anchor on it for an hour and pick a few fish and then move. I will move in 10 minutes if nothing’s happening or if I didn’t get over what I wanted to get over. It’s just how I try to fish after seeing several different styles and learning what I feel works best for my skills and my tackle. I do not believe this is anything extraordinary, and I’m almost shocked that a few of you continue to argue that it can’t work that way or something.

Skinnee, where are the YFT?

Edit: I said blessings were “involved” above. That is an understatement. I feel very blessed to be able to go fishing as much as I do and catch a few fish. All of it is a blessing. It isn’t merely

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Chirp chirp

He took the bait like a jugbelly redfish on an olive and white clouser.

I will trade you a 20.5" snapper for a 20.5" flounder. What say you?

Oh shoot. I forgot about option C)…The spin move.

Try to spin it around and make it sound like we don’t think the sonar is an effective tool to for locating fish.

Wow. This really reminds me of Fletch in is infancy.

Come on now Phin. Don’t make this so easy. Go back and read all of those comments Skinee quoted on page 1. Take your time. We’ll give you ample opportunities to get that foot out of your mouth.

quote:
Originally posted by greg1

Try to spin it around and make it sound like we don’t think the sonar is an effective tool to for locating fish.

Come on now Phin. Don’t make this so easy. Go back and read all of those comments Skinee quoted on page 1. Take your time. We’ll give you ample opportunities to get that foot out of your mouth.

What would really get my foot out of my mouth is if you or skinnee went and slammed the grouper or snapper with rod and reel. Then, you’d have credibility in sonar reading discussions. I don’t mean letting sellsfish go run the boat. Sellsfish knows how to read a fish finder, and you apparently are not keen enough to have learned from him. You or skinnee run the boat and slam the snapper or grouper. You have had ample time to do it. You are older and more experienced than me, and you have more disposable income. Do it now, and you’ll save some face instead of coming across as somebody who’s merely jealous of my little snapper and scamp fishing.

You’ll regret it if you don’t even try. It can’t be that fun always losing your spearshafts and being bored between dives, can it?

:wink:

Spin Spin Spin.

You should go back to the backpeddling.

Phin call me, got a deal for you. Sorry I had to ping you here but this is time sensitive and you won’t answer your phone!!!:imp:

REPUBLICAN
Because not everyone can be on welfare

All Rise - 31 Contender Fish Around with a pair of 250 Yamahas

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by greg1

What would really get my foot out of my mouth is if you or skinnee went and slammed the grouper or snapper with rod and reel. Then, you’d have credibility in sonar reading discussions. I don’t mean letting sellsfish go run the boat. Sellsfish knows how to read a fish finder, and you apparently are not keen enough to have learned from him. You or skinnee run the boat and slam the snapper or grouper. You have had ample time to do it. You are older and more experienced than me, and you have more disposable income. Do it now, and you’ll save some face instead of coming across as somebody who’s merely jealous of my little snapper and scamp fishing.

You’ll regret it if you don’t even try. It can’t be that fun always losing your spearshafts and being bored between dives, can it?

Phin, don't be a jackass. I posted links to several 2005 reports that were pre-diving days. We "slammed them" more than you have on your own boat. Go back and read them please. Do your homework. But don't post them here for other's to see or you might get your ego bruised.
quote:

I’m going to sound arrogant here,

What's new? Maybe you are starting to figure out why you get picked on sometimes...

Really? You have taken people who have never bottom fished before out on your boat and caught a dozen plus scamp as well as a few ARS? How about people who have never bottom fished being taken out and limiting on ARS? How about in a 17’ boat? It doesn’t matter that much to me… what matters is that you continue acting like I’m a jacka$$ for sharing information and insight on how I fish and why on here. I still use Avets regardless of greg1’s panties being in a wad months and years after I sold them, and I will still tell you what fish are on the bottom when I am bottom fishing regardless of who gets butt hurt or says that I’ve said a lot of stupid stuff. It’s the internet. I like to share ideas and information. I even like defending ideas and/or information. I am not making stuff up, and I’m not flip flopping on anything. You have no clue what I’m about if you think I’m like that. I’m open minded, but if I find something that works and that I believe in, I’m going to be loyal to it. Same thing with people… There’s no need to let it get serious when we’re on here wasting time. Greg1 takes it a little too far sometimes when he brings things up from 05 and 06. And I think you take it too far when you research my old posts to see where I described what triggers looked like inconsistently. If I had been serious about this argument yesterday, I would have video-taped me sitting behind the sounder and calling “ARS” and then dropping down to them and pulling them up repeatedly. You know what I mean? The same can be done with scamps and B liners sometimes. Not always but sometimes. Snapper are the easiest fish to identify on a sonar in my opinion though… I called them yesterday. You could have too.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

I’m going to sound arrogant here,

What's new? Maybe you are starting to figure out why you get picked on sometimes...

I didn’t think it was because I was arrogant. I thought it was because you knew I’d argue back.

Sure fooled me. I have been arrogant in thinking that’s why any of this mattered to you and/or greg. Sorry about that.

quote:
Originally posted by Phin Good luck to all of you aspiring bottom fishermen out there reading this. You apparently don't really need to know what your sounder is showing. What good is one anyhow? All you can tell is that "something" is down there. Could be a ball of squid. Could be a ball of beer cans. Nobody can know what a cloud of cigar minnows looks like, much less a trigger fish or ten.. You need an underwater camera, a couple dozen scuba tanks or a free diver on board before you'll ever get anywhere, boys.

Phin,
Absolutely it is important to read your machine but i believe for the most part it shows you structure, bait, and fish size. If you are on structure with a good fish show fire some baits down and see what comes up.

Please don’t think I’m piling on. I avoid internet forum pissing matches and shouldn’t have made the smoke up your butt comment.

Respectfully i would like to know how you learned what different marks are. Did someone teach you by pointing at the screen and tell you what the marks are (word of mouth) or did you learn by what you caught on a fish show.

Granted large marks high in the water column are a safe bet as AJ’s. There are so many other species down there that don’t get caught, schools of spadefish in 180’-100’, rainbow runners, barracuda, hogfish, tautog, queen angels, big porgy’s, grunts, puffers, tomtates, etc. Red snapper school up when spawning but 90% of the red snapper I’ve seen are not in a school but spread out and of varying sizes contrary to what most say about red snaps.

I’ve always thought it’s a no lose guess by pointing at the screen and saying… “thats a grouper” If you don’t catch a grouper, they just weren’t biting. If you catch one… “Told ya”. Move from spot to spot and a person is bout to guess right at some point.