Mothers Day

If you have not been watching your calendars; Mothers Day is right around the corner (Sunday May 8th). Since we will not be running a full newsletter next week I thought I would share this article with you this week. I originally put this together about 3-years ago when there was an ongoing discussion on the site about fishing mentors. Due to the approach of Mothers day I thought it would be appropriate to re-run.

As I read through the responses and stories on fishing mentors I began to reminisce of my childhood days and about my great fishing mentors. I was born and raised on James Island and God blessed me with two awesome parents that love me, love the great outdoors and the entire saltwater fishing experience. From day one my parents took me fishing, crabbing, and shrimping. If it were not for my infant christening pictures with Father Kelly holding me up in Nativity Church over the holy water; I would swear that my parents had me baptized in saltwater and Charleston pluff mud as an infant.

Growing up dad spent countless hours with me in the back yard teaching me how to cast my push button Zebco and I distinctly remember him showing me how to run the boat in the maize of tiny creeks behind Morris Island while he caught bait. He showed me how to fillet many species of fish and would patiently work with me in the kitchen the night before an offshore trip teaching me the fine art of tying a Bimini twist. Dad taught me how to throw his 6-foot nylon cast net and how to rig a menhaden for Kingfish. He instructed me how to, and sometime how not to, gaff a fish. My father has always included me on every single fishing trip, he has taught me to respect the ocean, to enjoy the fellowship of friends and family out on the water, and to conserve the fishery.

My dad got me started there is no doubt about that, but my mom contributed a lot as well. Since us rough and tough fisherman often forget about the support the women in our lives give us in this sport I thought I would share a little about my mom.

My