My Garden Today

awesome harvest! the old ways are so superior in many cases.

that plot worked you good this year, and i’d say the same you for it!

All differences aside… I’d really love to try a Paw Paw, what would it take? Can I pay you for mailing one because I can not make the trip up your way, even if you’d have me . Or do you know of anyplace that sells them? Did the wind ever lay down for your trip to the outer banks?

When I was a kid I would pick up potatoes along with the migrant workers. Got something like 10 cents a bushel.

This year the paw paws are all gone already.

Next year if i am still above ground I will get you some. They start being ready in the fall when the leaves are changimg. I ate the last ones yesterday, sorry.

I have seeds that will be ready for planting in a few months. You want some to plant?

The wind and rain finally layed down at the outter* banks and we were anle to catch some fish from the boats. The surf fishimg was good two days out of 9, no big drum but loads of pompano, flounder, spots, croakers, whiting, and that type stuff

2 Likes

I’d love to get some seeds from you. Reading up on them and it says you have to have two for pollination. I guess start them in a pot and transplant? Are yours in a wet or dry area?

Mine are on a flat spot above the house with probably 75% sun. There is no water around except when it rains.

I am thinking there aren’t many down your way because the seeds have to get pretty cold for a while before they germinate properly.

I will get you some ready for planting in the spring, and yes, I would probably start them in pots just to give them a good chance, and then transplant after they get 6-8 inches tall. The book says they grow deep tap roots and wide root systems so don’t leave them in the pots too long.

the june bugs or japanese beetles like them mid-summer, so I put a little 7 spray on them a couple times a year when bugs are bad, but aside from that they stand alone.

1 Like

First winter planting is in, some late some on time. Added about an inch of compost and turned over 8+” down. Think I’m in about $25 for this season’s supplies

Under that dirt is:

Parris Island Cos Romain lettuce
Black seeded Simpson leaf lettuce
Carnival blend 4 colors of carrots
Danvers 126 carrots
Georgia Southern collards
California white garlic
Yellow and white onion sets
Shallots

Lettuces are germinated in foreground, was able to let the Romain bolt in the summer and saved seed. Garlic and shallots are last year’s too

Everything has already proven itself either here or at a family garden nearby, and mine always look forward to making a salad their way when it comes in. Need to figure out when and where the snow peas are going, then keep reseeding more carrots and lettuce.

2 Likes

A gallon of cider cooked down into 3 quarts to concentrate,

And just like that, another dozen jars in the bank

1 Like

Never heard of that before. When you’re ready to use it you just add water?

No, it just concentrates the cider some to boil off some water.

I slow boil a gallon of cider about 2-3 hours and end up with aroumd 3 quarts of juice to turn into jelly.

It just really makes the jelly taste stronger. Granny Fisher “learnt” me that one

This is an impressive thread. I just got lost for an hour looking through these pictures! How much land does your garden use, @EF1 ?!

There are a couple plots. The main garden is around a third of an acre give or take. The lower plot is smaller, maybe 1250 square feet

The asparagus and flowers are in dedicated beds, probably 750-1000 square feet each

The orchards are the neighbors, but they are old folks and happy for me to prune and take all I want.

Then I just stick stuff anywhere I think it will grow and I can still mow.

Glad you liked it, its a lot of work. I glean a great deal of intrinsic value every time I eat a meal that consists mainly of meat and veggies I personally hatvested.

I get a hoot out of sharing my stuff with others that appreciate it too.

me too.

some of my proudest dad times are hearing the kids say that they love our fresh food because it tastes better when you grew/harvested it

we are just small potatoes though :upside_down_face:

Salads soon!

She’s growing faster than that kale.

Winding everything down now here. Kale, brussles, collards, and walnuts are about all thats left after several hard frosts.

Mulched and covered the asparagus beds and dahlia gardens yesterday.

Disked the big garden plot and cover sewed with winter rye a few days ago, its already popping up.

Garlic coming back up all over the place and plenty of tillage radishes(icle to some)… not this one too big and nasty chickens got it. the little one behind it ate good, sliced with a little malt vinegar.
IMG_2002
IMG_2005
IMG_2006

That’s why home grown chickens eat so much better than factory farmed

Nice tiller

Sad thing is it's not that nice, not that old and the lower bearing that the tines run on has already got a lot of play in it.   Those little fellows are overpriced and not near as soundly built as the older models.   I remove a section of the fence each spring and give it a deep till.

those are the wifes layers. they’ll die of old age! No way I get to eat those. I do make some perlou from the yard ones when I get too many roosters. I’ve got about 40 running loose. That number is constantly going up and down from hawks, foxes and the like. They are a bantam/gamecock mix. this hen hatched off 14 down 2 in this pic and she finished up weaning of 4. It’s a brutal world for them but the survivors are some smart chickens.
IMG_1548

1 Like