My Garden Today

46 this moaning ug

better daze acoming I jest dunt nose win

That confederate rose will be twice that size next year. Those things are really easy to root. when it gets bigger snip some branches in the fall and put them in a five gallon bucket of water and put them in your pump house. Next spring they will be full of roots and ready to plant.

What’s that one? sort of looks like a camellia?

Yes camellia, have some nice ones by the biggest trees on the property whites, pinks and reds. There’s remnants of fences and a well pipe nearby so I suspect it was an old home site. There is a nice big azalea there too and a 20’ crape Myrtle. Have picked up several hand fulls of nails and glass. Fisk brothers say there was a 20 acre field behind there that they farmed when they were in school.

That’s really cool. My Camellia’s are budding out, but seldom make a good display do to cold weather. You should try some Oranges.

I was digging some stumps on my property and came across an old section of iron water pipe. We’ve been in this area for years and I’ve asked some of the older neighbors if they remember an old home sight. No go. I’m sure there had to be. Be cool to go back a few hundred years just to see the change in the landscape and homesteads.

Hey @Fred67 found this nearby the big camellias

and another grounding pipe

humans were here!

My Charlie Brown tomato plant still putting out.

Fading

Flowering

Hanging in there

Planted some Plumerias today

My Charlie Brown cherry tomato plant is still putting out tomatoes.

Probably 20% of what will come off the meyer lemon this season. Close to halfway there.

3 Likes

I might stop by and get a couple to squeeze into my rum when I cut loose the rabbit dogs on Morris Island.haha

You run rabbit dogs? That’s a blast with some hunters you trust! Had a lot around the house, but haven’t seen any for a bit. I did here a couple of foxes yapping this past full moon. Maybe they got em all.

I replaced the trust system in a nursing home in Clinton South Carolina several years ago. Hired several of the local hillbillies/rednecks. They took me rabbit hunting. With the most pitiful looking little beagles you ever seen in your life. But boy they would run a rabbit. Dang that was a lot of fun.

my wife’s pa and grandpa ran beagles on morris, wonder if y’all shared any rum drinks back in the day. think it’s run by coyotes now

heard tell of an old member here could hit a rabbit in the head with a .410 with the hounds on his heels, i shoot a centerfire real good but not so much on the scattergun

y’all come pick a lemon or 10 anytime

Morris was a rough place to hunt,I remember sharing some Falstaff with some fellas because they had brought a small motor bike to the island to carry stuff back and forth to the boat. I mostly hunted the spoil area that is under 526.It was unbelievable how many rabbits were there,we got 81 one day.And OTC there was acres of cherry tomatoes growing wild out there.Pick a five gallon bucket in no time.Those were the times.hahaha

Went fishing with them guys . The ride back to the river probably 5 ml through a pine farm about waist high with a lot of brush piles.
Bunches of rabbits.
When we got to the river I mentioned something about all the rabbits.
Following weekend was shooting bunnies.

And the fishing story…
Took canoes and kayaks but ended up just waiding.
Catching smallmouth on a rubber warm.
Fish popping under a tree. Muscadines falling off the vine that had grown up the tree. Took the rubber worm off and put a grape on.
Thought they were crazy.
They taught me something. We Caught a ton of catfish 1 to 2 lb range .

Haha good stuff. A buddy swears they got a channel cat on a limb line where the grapes were falling into the river, said the outside half of the meat was purple and they didn’t eat it.

I sure would’ve tried it