My Garden Today

Had no choice but to take the last 60lbs of Meyer lemons off the tree before Friday’s freeze

1 Like

That is nice! I’m just too far inland to do it. I’ve tried lemons and oranges. Maybe when I retire I can do a small greenhouse. Nothing like your own produce!!

If the weather forecast holds true, you did the right thing. Looks like Christmas is going to be nasty.

Pulled the few grapefruits that were close, but the rest will just freeze on the tree… is there any reason to pull the greenish ones instead of letting them freeze? Ice down the whole tree and see if they make it?

Heading to a buddy’s house soon to help him bring in all his clementines. Time to squeeze the juice! Encino Man reference anybody?

Simply Citrus Nursery Grows Cold-Hardy Varieties in SC’s Midlands - South Carolina Department of Agriculture

Simply Citrus Nursery | Gaston SC | Facebook

How to grow citrus outdoors in South Carolina | wltx.com

Check those with the green on them. The Wife and I were at Jekyll Island a few weeks ago and I sneaked a huge green looking orange (I scratched the skin before picking to smell what it was) I cut into it to quarter it and it was maybe the sweetest juiciest orange I ever had. No idea of variety, but it was bigger than most grapefruit and still mostly green colored.

I’ve seen dad put a water sprinkler on his blueberries and peaches before a freeze. maybe work for the grapefruit??

I’ll check a green grapefruit tomorrow, they might be juicy enough to soften up in storage

My cut from today

2 Likes

Where’s a good spot to buy citrus trees. Siteone sure isn’t :thinking:

I’ve used Ty ty out of Savannah and had good luck. Maybe even give amazon a try?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lemon+tree&crid=2NV7MXDD5KFXC&sprefix=%2Caps%2C87&ref=nb_sb_ss_recent_2_0_recent

Thanks Fred! That place looks great. Hoping to find something closer to Charleston.

Mckenzie farms is the best in the state. Near Lake City and Olanta. He has a web site so you can look what he has.

1 Like

That looks promising… 10 degree Tangerine!

We are like a month and a half past the hard freeze on the coast. My lime is mostly dead, lemon looks dead back to main few branches, but grapefruit is trying to leaf back out now

Little garden plots were looking good with baby lettuce and carrots, snow peas were starting to climb good. All 90+% wiped out, especially the smaller ones. Looked like some lettuce was ok but they fell over dead a week later because the raised beds froze the roots.

What doesn’t seem to care about 18 degrees is the more rooted carrots, the alliums, and spinach.

I have reseeded twice since then, got tiny carrots and lettuce coming up all over the other bed, hope the nice even rains from the last couple days do a good job bringing up some late winter stuff. Gotta get some starter trays from BIL today for the heirloom tomatoes I need to start

And meanwhile, the deer are eating our Encore azaleas. Can’t have anything nice between the deer eating everything and the squirrels digging up my wife’s potted plants.

Dang D, I got my kid’s red Ryder for squirrel problems with the snow peas, but I also gots a crossbow for the wood goats if you want to quietly allow me permission to sit in your azaleas

1 Like

I just walked back from mom’s and I did not have my phone with me. I’ll have to post what the dang deer did to a some of my azaleas that I planted for a privacy block.

We’re working on the squirrels (pellet gun). The deer are a little more challenging since I live in a neighborhood. Crossbow might be the silent answer.

1 Like

Any pointers appreciated

Keep it watered bay! Maybe some miracle grow once a month. Some sort of citrus tree? On that note where you live you should be able to do some lemons, my inlaws to the south west of you have a tree that produces tons of em.

Lemon, has 1 pinky tip sized 1 on it

The frost hurt the oleanders and lantannas even kilt a couple, some are slow coming back

Camellias are slow growers must take decades for them to grow big and bloom?

Thinking about trying some squash but the critters are insane here