My Garden Today

squash should be good in first year soil, but the borers move in and you’re done. same for nematodes on tomato roots. maybe potted stuff?

lost the key lime from that freeze, almost lost the persian lime and meyer lemon, but the grapefruit threw out new leaves on almost every branch and looks fine. keep your citrus in pots as long as you can!

Interview With An 87 Year Old Farmer (1929) - YouTube

1 Like

New to the gardening thing but got a small raised bed about 6’ x 8’ plot of beans, sweet potatoes, lettuce, chilli pepper, and squash. all is growing well and this (along with a small pot of basil is my first pickin!

Fred might recognize this. Year two in the ground. I need to get out covered before the birds attack it!

2 Likes

How about a Dove Garden…hopefully. Planted some Sorghum and Brown top last Friday, you can’t tell the way it curves left and right, but just over 2 acres. About 60 yards past end on left another 1.5ish planted.

Fingers crossed…

2 Likes

Man I wish I could grow some asparagus here…Love that stuff

NN

Asparagus loves aged cow dookie.

If you can find some seed try planting a little Sesame as well. I does decent in poor soil and the dove love the stuff. as the seed pods mature they split open dumping the seed on the ground like a good little legal baiting system.

1 Like

2 Likes

It would appear im a little behind you fellows again this year.

1 Like

Technically these are last years dried :hot_pepper:’s that I’m just getting to

That’s a lotta spice!

This was a whole plant yesterday, ■■■■ thing even ate a couple peppers

Romaine looking good

Dayum! Migrant Mexican Deer?

Shooot, I wish I had a little bit of Fred’s wood goat problems… the crossbow would get some action.

that’s simply the work of a voracious and well camouflaged hornyworm there in the bottom/middle, made me nostalgic for chickens for just a second before I threw it over the fence instead.

2 months of growth knocked back in a day, but I guess I’m glad it didn’t do the same to one of my maters instead… have to be more vigilant now.

EDIT to add that the romaine did great all winter long (cultivar is local- Parris Island Cos), and i’ve let those go to bolt for saving seed. i learned from my first good lettuce garden that when they get a slight bluish tint to the leaves it’s time to cut 'em or quit on 'em.

carrots are still going great in the shady patch, cukes are doing just okay, and tomatoes are starting to fire off 1-5 a day with EF’s heirlooms making a move on the beefsteak and cherry for first place producers. pix to come.

I didn’t look close enough at the picture earlier. I see him now. What a rapacious pest. He’s fat and full and ruined the bottom center left pepper also.

Those things are crazy how quick they can decimate a tomato. Never had one on a pepper plant.

Just a bit of trivia on those things. Y’all ever had one of those moths fly around your head that you swore was a humming bird? Usually late evening as the sun is going to bed. That what those horned worms turn into. Doing most of our tomatoes on the deck, usually the first sign is seeing their doo doo on the boards. If you see one, you’ve more than likely got more.

Good thing, it’s still early in the season and that plant will put back out.

Had no idea! I learned something today, thanks!

Man, I wish we had a member that was good at identifying animals