My Garden Today

My only thought is its the soil that makes them taste differently. The deer destroy the cow peas I plant along with watermelons, honeydew, corn of course, and sunflowers.

They have not messed with any of my squash, zucchinis, okra, or pumpkins. And I’ve planted a variety of pumpkins from the jackolantern ones to the big mamas to the celebration squash (tiny pumpkins).

They have much much better things to eat right now though; the neighbor has 180 acres of soybeans right now.

1 Like

We don’t plant any veggies but the wife has plants/flowers everywhere and we have to be really careful about what is where to keep them from getting eaten. I caught a deer on our security cam stepping up 2 steps onto our deck to get to a rose bush in a pot. She ate one whole side of the bush.

They come up in Mom’s backyard in the springtime and eat on her azaleas. I never would have guessed that either.

Choot em all!

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Hey Sails… Like that idea with the plywood. Dad sometimes used a piece of astro turf or cardboard. The professional dudes growing them for competions will but a layer of washed sand under them. yours are looking good!!

I’m going to try that cinnamon thing OTC mentioned for the deer. They got used to my solor automatic noise maker/ and light flasher thing. Yesterday say they ate my mulberry to the ground again.

I see the pros do it. I don’t know what I’m doing, just trying to prevent ground rot I guess.

Its a bigger one for me very early on, so I have high hopes this season

1 Like

Hopefully I didn’t start too early on my pumpkins. I have some that are already normal “picking” size for Halloween.

I might have figured something out this year…I just may have some big pumpkins!

Does anyone else grow their own?

I don’t think you started too early. Every Time I’ve done them late the borer worms get in the stems. I have terrible luck doing the Ornamentals in the fail so I do them in the spring. When i pick them the wife gives them a weak clorox wipe and we put them in a cool place until fall decorating.

Several that are basketball size already

1 Like

Those are the big breeds; I forget what they’re really called. But they start off yellow and slowly turn orange. The jack-o-lantern style still looks like this and start out green.

Are you on a fungicide application schedule? Mildew is generally hard on pumpkins

You Go farmer Ricky!!! Those figs didn’t make it two days! and yes they upset my stomach from overeating I probably ate a third of my bucket on the way home. I smooshed some in some vanilla ice cream.

Oh I love somre fig preserves on vanilla ice cream!

Should I be? I don’t think I’ve had issues in the past. Some make it, some don’t. I thought that’s just how it was.

Here’s a good link for advice

Fungicides near the bottom of the page

Welcome home! I heard it was a whopping 72 there yesterday

current state:

how’d you get your greens to grow in the grass, just plug seed and let it ride? seems like a good way to keep the grit down

taters look great!

I put them on the very outer edge of the garden and let the grass grow in. It keeps the lettuce cooler and out of the direct sun, holds moisture, and is a lot less work.

It was planted really thick and instead of harvesting leaves, which Ill do later, I just thin it by pulling the larger ones or the clumps root and all.

Hows the tomatoes, did they get a name?