Need A Jump?

While at the CharlestonFishing.Com annual oyster roast a few weeks back a couple of us got to talking about dead batteries out on the water. Andy and I shared a story about how we were fishing at the end of the jetties with our dad for kings way back in the day. We were having a successful day catching some nice fish on live menhaden when a storm started to approach. We stowed our gear and got ready to make a quick run back to the hill when dad hit the key all heard was the starter struggling to turn over our 3-cylinder 90. We realized very quickly we had run down the battery in record time with the baitwell pump. The storm was bearing down on us and there was little time to waste. Dad hailed another boat that was close by on the VHF and they came over to give us a tow. The good Samaritan was very helpful but at the same time we all realized under tow we sitting ducks. As we came tight on the tow rope dad pulled the motor cover and pulled out the pull cord. Pull crank a 90 HP? Well maybe? Dad tried a couple of times to no avail. He then passed the road to Andy, Andy was in full swing with high school weight training for football; perhaps his 200 pounds of muscle would do the trick. He pulled a couple times but still nada. Dad thought for two more seconds, then he said, “I will turn the key and engage the started with what little life is left in the battery while Andy gives it all he has on the rope and hopefully that will do it.” A bolt of lightning popped nearby and all of our adrenaline started to flow. Dad yell 1, 2, 3, Andy ripped the cord and the engine fired to life. Dad threw the boat in gear, and I untied the tow rope. We pulled alongside our good Samaritan, said a quick thank you and everyone hammered down to the hill. Shortly after telling this story I read the below blog from Sea Tows January posting and wanted to share…

Dead Battery? Here’s what to do.

Many boaters know that dreaded sound of an engine trying to turnover when a battery is dead. In fact, low voltage, or a dea