Net Worth

Kipling’s defines net worth as the value in dollars of all assets less liabilities. My brother Andy defines net worth as the number of shrimp caught in the cast net per cast on each shrimp pole. If you want a test of your sanity try shrimping with my dad and two brothers one evening. We work as team while shrimping. Dad makes the bait and helps head, Andy drives the boat, Vasco helps me shake down the net and heads, and I throw the net. The team effort works great. Most of the time when we return to the dock we have all the shrimp headed and ready to be packaged! However, this team will really get on your nerves if you let them. Just prior to throwing Vasco will make a comment like, “let’s get in the money” if the net is open and over the bait dad usually comments, “That’s a money throw,” and on a good night when the shrimp are on the bait, and I am throwing well Andy follows up after he sees me dump the net with, “his net worth is on the rise.”

If you do not have an open net over the bait each and every time you will not have good net worth. With recreational shimping season right around the corner many folks will be purchasing new cast nets over the next couple of weeks. Three key elements go into selecting the proper net for shrimping: mesh size, weight, and length.

Mesh size- is simple, and is regulated by the state. All cast nets used for recreational baiting must be ½-inch or larger.

Weight- the faster she sinks the less shrimp that can swim from underneath, also the less influence from the tidal currents. 1-pound of lead per foot of lead line is ideal. Remember you want to ensure the net lands right on top of the bait when you throw. When the tide is running hard, even if you have a heavy net you may need to lead your bait.

Length- the biggest mistake made by most folks is trying to throw a net that is too big for them to handle well. Remember a 12-foot net half way open does no more good than a 6-foot net wide open. When I throw a taco (crescent moon) with my 7-footer my dad does not say