New Truck - 2017 Titan XD Pro-4X with Cummins

Well, I’ve been in this truck for 7500 miles now, so figured I’d share my thoughts finally after a 1600 mile hunting trip to MS and back.

Truck is a '17 XD Pro-4X with luxury and technology package. Has the around view cameras and blind spot warnings and all that jazz that make driving this beast a real pleasure. Nissan designed the truck to be an overly capable 1/2 ton truck, and it is just that. It drives like a 1/2 ton truck but feels like a 3/4 ton. I call it a 5/8 ton truck…

I bought it used with 6700 miles on it from a local dealer, local trade in. It now has 3M clear bra on the front, it’s been debadged, leveling kit and 20" KMC XD series wheels with 305/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler tires. I’ve done nothing performance wise yet, but plan to very soon get rid of the DPF and the emissions crap that is holding it back.

Towing is excellent. I’ve had it loaded with a 10k pound trailer at work and handled the load quite easily, and got 17MPG cruising down the interstate. It has not met a load it didn’t like yet, but I haven’t pushed it very hard. The Cummins seems to perform with little to no effort required.

All in all, if you’re in need of a capable work truck, or a luxury truck that can do it all, at least go drive one…Nissan has done the little things right for a long time and that continues with this truck. The features are just incredible…from LED Lights in the bed to a push button trailer light check function to verify your lights are working without someone being in the truck, they thought of it all.

Anyway, here’s some pics from the disappointing MS duck hunting trip…you’ll see how dry it was, and you all know you need water for ducks.

I like your style…and the review…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Nice truck, great review but my necks a little sore. :smiley:

Those things take a serious hit leaving the lot, I bet you got that for a song with 6,300 miles. Hope she provides all you hope and more.

That gray color for the two-tone is all the rage now. Audi started with a color I think called Nardo Gray. Looks nice.

Congrats, nothing like a new truck to play with.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks!

Funny part is the pics are correct on the computer…hell I don’t know.

I did get a great deal on it, as well as an overly generous trade value on my '11 Pro-4X with 85k on it. I came out with a new truck and financed very little since my '11 was paid for. Otherwise I’d still be in my 2011 for sure!

I’ve been in a Titan for 6 years or so previously. I hated these trucks because of all the chrome, but the Pro-4X debadged and two toned just is a different truck IMHO. I love it.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Have a 24 ft bay boat with t top. How do you think it would handle towing?

Nice and great read.

Weird how the pics do. Sideways on laptop, but normal on phone. Not the first post I’ve seen like that.

Picked up my first diesel few months ago. New 2017 Silverado HD2500 with that new Duramax. Was gonna go with the Ford Powerstroke, but the Chevy/Toyota dealer in Augusta we have bought a few vehicles from smoked em on the deal.

NN

Way to nice to have crookerd pics.

At only 7500 miles and a new breed of engine, I’d hold off on the def delete until out of warrantee. After that, go for it. Power and fuel economy gains will impress you. Thankfully S.C. hasn’t pushed this issue, but I know a Man in Florida that was doing a lot of Deletes and a speed pro shop and someone ratted him out. He was taken straight to jail and now out on bond looking at some hefty fines. They will fine the mechanic and vehicle owners. Bad thing is they can actually fine you from the day of the delete to current time. If SC goes back to the talked of emission stations unless you change your ECM/PCM they have the exact date of delete… 2 to 4 years of backdated fines could add up to a bunch!

Many are completely removing the DPF, some are leaving it but guting it so at least you have a visual of conforming.

quote:
Originally posted by Farm Boy

Have a 24 ft bay boat with t top. How do you think it would handle towing?

You wouldn’t even feel it.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

At only 7500 miles and a new breed of engine, I’d hold off on the def delete until out of warrantee. After that, go for it. Power and fuel economy gains will impress you. Thankfully S.C. hasn’t pushed this issue, but I know a Man in Florida that was doing a lot of Deletes and a speed pro shop and someone ratted him out. He was taken straight to jail and now out on bond looking at some hefty fines. They will fine the mechanic and vehicle owners. Bad thing is they can actually fine you from the day of the delete to current time. If SC goes back to the talked of emission stations unless you change your ECM/PCM they have the exact date of delete… 2 to 4 years of backdated fines could add up to a bunch!

Many are completely removing the DPF, some are leaving it but guting it so at least you have a visual of conforming.

Oh yeah, I’m gonna wait until 25k or so at least. The idea of voiding a LIFETIME powertrain warranty is just hard to process, but I know that the truck wants/needs the stuff gutted. It’s terrible that the EPA is mandating all this stuff and turning $40k trucks into $70k trucks and causing warranty issues because of it all.

Wadmalaw native

What kind of “road noise” do you get from the MT’s? The time is drawing near to change the tires on my truck and I want something more aggressive than the stock tires but I hate the “brrrrr” of MT’s on the road.

“…be a man and PM me.”

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

What kind of “road noise” do you get from the MT’s? The time is drawing near to change the tires on my truck and I want something more aggressive than the stock tires but I hate the “brrrrr” of MT’s on the road.

“…be a man and PM me.”

You know the answer to that question Bangstick ,just pull the trigger on the lift and Super Swampers already.The MTs look better and you'll be happier.I just turn up the volume on the Hank Snow or Conway haha.The noise only gets worse as the tires wear down.

Nice truck! How does it look with the Bentz behind it?

Mark Ingle
NauticStar 1810 Merc 90

quote:
Originally posted by sman
quote:

“…be a man and PM me.”

You know the answer to that question Bangstick ,just pull the trigger on the lift and Super Swampers already.The MTs look better and you'll be happier.I just turn up the volume on the Hank Snow or Conway haha.The noise only gets worse as the tires wear down.

No, I don’t know the answer to that question. That’s why I asked. Not every MT sounds the same or is as loud/quiet as every other one.

Plus, I’m fine with the stock looks of my truck and I don’t have/need a lift. I’m not looking for a bro-dozer or a mall crawler. My truck is my everyday driver and it needs to be as comfortable on long road trips and around town as it is on washed out red clay roads and swampy areas on my hunting property.

“…be a man and PM me.”

quote:
Originally posted by JumpNCobia

Nice truck! How does it look with the Bentz behind it?

Mark Ingle
NauticStar 1810 Merc 90

It has only moved it from one side of the yard to the other, sadly.

I haven’t wet a line in over 2 months, and the Bentz-Craft hasn’t been wet since the first day of alligator season…

Wadmalaw native

quote:

“…be a man and PM me.”

I’m used to the brrrrr honestly, but the Nittos in my opinion are among the quietest of the MT’s on the road. I also got 55k miles out of my last set, so they’re my go to. The Toyo’s get good mileage as well but get REALLY loud as they wear down.

The noise is tolerable, especially when they are needed to get you out of a jam. My truck is a tool, from jobsites to hunting club roads and remote fishing ponds, it gets used, and the tires keep it capable for me.

Wadmalaw native

That’s what I wanted to know. Thank you, sir.

“…be a man and PM me.”

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

“…be a man and PM me.”

I’m used to the brrrrr honestly, but the Nittos in my opinion are among the quietest of the MT’s on the road. I also got 55k miles out of my last set, so they’re my go to. The Toyo’s get good mileage as well but get REALLY loud as they wear down.

The noise is tolerable, especially when they are needed to get you out of a jam. My truck is a tool, from jobsites to hunting club roads and remote fishing ponds, it gets used, and the tires keep it capable for me.

Wadmalaw native

Try the Ridge Grappler next time. Still aggressive but a really good ride with not much more noise than the Terra Grappler.

I take it you haven’t done the oil change yet? A guy up the street took his in for an oil change and service, they tried to charge him over $600.00 for that baby Cummins. Heck two fuel filters, oil filter and 12qts of oil for my 6.7L was less than $180.00. May want to look into the service before a dealer sticks you.

I love my new Powerstroke but I really did like the way my Cummins pulled and sounded.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

"Life’

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

“…be a man and PM me.”

Wadmalaw native

Try the Ridge Grappler next time. Still aggressive but a really good ride with not much more noise than the Terra Grappler. I like, but they fill up with mud too fast, and require too many revolutions at high speed to clean out, something the diesel lacks in the mud…</font id=“red”>

I take it you haven’t done the oil change yet? A guy up the street took his in for an oil change and service, they tried to charge him over $600.00 for that baby Cummins. Heck two fuel filters, oil filter and 12qts of oil for my 6.7L was less than $180.00. May want to look into the service before a dea

Nice ride, like the stance with the wheels and tires. Guessing the cam locker fit also?

I’m running a 16’ with 36k miles. So far about 3k tuned and deleted. Went out on a limb and went with ez lynk running higher power performance tunes with 4”flo pro exhaust with muffler. Love ez lynk, flashes take about 9 minutes and having the ability to connect with tuner with out taking the truck to them is very nice. As they refine the tunes they push updates out over the cloud and you can choose to update or not. Monitoring is through a WiFi device like a phone or tablet provided it can run the ez lynk app. It was hard to take that leap with not seeing it in person.

Bunch of us are also currently waiting delivery of out egr delete kits. As of now egr is turned off in tuning. Kits will include new up pipe instead of just blocker plates along with new charge pipe.

If you FB check out Titan XD cummins forum along with Titan XD’s lifted and leveled. Overall decent pages with lots of info on these trucks.

Pioneer 222SF