North East Winds…Alright!

Northeast winds 15 to 18 knots…99% of the time that means I will not be out on the water. There is that 1% of the time however; when I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good north east wind along with a full moon or new moon high tide, and some crisp fall weather. These conditions add up to the perfect scenario for Marsh Hens, Rails, Mud Chickens, what ever you prefer to call them.

The second Marsh Hen season of 2009 opened last week, October 5th, and will remain open through December 7th. I had the opportunity to hunt the first season with a good friend back in September and remembered just how fun this type of hunting can be. Marsh Hen hunting in the lowcountry salt marsh has been a time honored tradition for many generations. Fall and early winter “spring tides,” and an easterly wind offer the perfect conditions to get on these birds. The flood tides serve to limit the amount of cover these birds have and offer a means to get a small jon boat across the grass. An easterly wind will usually help push in some more water and offer a means of non-mechanical propulsion.

I liken shooting marsh hens to shooting pen raised Quail, except you are shooting out of a boat and there are not any high dollar pointers working the birds. Okay so maybe there is little correlation between the two, but Marsh Hens can be slow to get up and fly a lot like some pen raised Quail can be. Sometimes the birds will fly great from their small amount of grass cover remaining above the tide, other times you literally have to hit them with the push pole to get them up. Because these birds are slow at times I prefer to use a 20 gauge or 410 to make the hunt a little more sporting.

Requirements to hunt Marsh Hens include a state hunting license, a migratory bird permit, a gun plugged to limit shell capacity to 3, a push pole and a light weight boat. (Note: I have seen some folks with larger boats get out and wade for these birds, but in my opinion tromping around in the marsh and covering several acres for a few b