North Edisto near reef 6/1

We put in at Steamboat this morning and headed out on a BSB run. The wave report was a little hairy at 3-4 footers but I decided to head out anyway. Some of the waves got serious at the inlet but once through, they were big but rolling far apart.

I got anchored up over the 110’ barge and immediately started to get BSB. Not a single one was of size. We caught about 5-6 weakfish and kept the first legal one. A few toadies and we went to move to another spot. The reef anchor got hung up and the bottom eyelet on it broke off. I had it rigged with a ziptie like others do but the weld gave way on the bottom. I had 6’ of chain and an aluminum loop.

Reef time was over now so we went inshore. I snuck up ocella creek all the way in search of any strays from Jason’s lake. No luck. Did catch a real nice trout on the way out at a bend.

All in all, decent day. Boat ran good, only 80% Sun burnt, didn’t get stuck in the creek, and didn’t barf while anchored at the reef. :smiley:

I fight that chumming urge every time i anchor. Mostly just drift over good bottom anymkre.

fish today work tomorrow

Sorry about your anchor, better luck next time! Do you have access to a welder? easy to make one out of an old axil and some rebar

Is there a marker at the North Edisto Nearshore reef? That last time I was over that way - a few years ago - the marker was gone and I couldn’t find any of the structure.

Kevin
1720 Sea Hunt w/ 90hp Yam
M’Ocean Sickness

Thanks for the report. Went to the Jetties last 6/1 and the BSB were to small as well.

14’ Carolina Skiff
19’ Sea Pro

quote:
Originally posted by k ulmer

Is there a marker at the North Edisto Nearshore reef? That last time I was over that way - a few years ago - the marker was gone and I couldn’t find any of the structure.

Kevin
M’Ocean Sickness

There was no marker. Get the coordinates from the scdnr artificial reef site. I put them in my Garmin and was able then to use my fishfinder to find the structure. There are several spots out there pretty close together.

Hydra-Sports 22 Bay Sport
225 Rude

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Sorry about your anchor, better luck next time! Do you have access to a welder? easy to make one out of an old axil and some rebar

I can get one of the fab guys at work to whip something up for me. I have to stop by fields and get some aluminum stock.

225 Rude

MattR what is the closest inshore reef or structure off of Edisto for bottom fishing.

Wicked fishing

quote:
Originally posted by Wicked fishing

MattR what is the closest inshore reef or structure off of Edisto for bottom fishing.

Wicked fishing

N. Edisto near shore, which is what I am talking about. It’s barely offshore, maybe 2.5mi out. I have been wanting to get a maps unique that shows where some live bottom is. Although, I doubt there is much close with all the shrimp boats running around there.

4KI is not too far off and I have had good luck there in the past. I am waiting for nice weather to hit the 40 and 60.

225 Rude

Have you fished the old Daho bridge yet this year? use to cat a lot of BSB in the winter there!

Thanks for the info MattR. I hope to get some good weather in July so I can make it out to that reef.

Kevin
M’Ocean Sickness

Wicked,if you are actually fishing out of Edisto Beach and not North Edisto inlet you can get to Edisto 40’ reef just as fast as Edisto Nearshore. Fishing is about the same but the 40’ usually isn’t as crowded on flat days.

You can’t catch fish on a dry line

The buoy is gone again, it was there May 30… but Sunday, it was gone.