Of all snakes to kill....

I’ve been called a sissy and a few other names for killing snakes, and I will continue to dispatch snakes… with the exception of a king snake or glass snake. Today while pushing up a few stumps to easy off some frustration, I scrunched a very healthy king snake. Haven’t seen one in a long time and here I kill the poor rascal. Funny how things change and I actually felt bad for killing a snake. All I can think is how many rattle snakes did this dude or dudete dispatch or how many may it have?

Yep, those are the good ones. They eat rats, mice and even other poisonous snakes. Had an eastern King snake as a pet, he was pretty cool.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Seldom see a king snake around anymore. Used to be a lot of them when I was a kid. Wonder what happened to them?

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Probably killed off by people that don’t know any better. I haven’t seen one in ages. Actually all I see nowadays is corn, black, and grass.

Only snake I really worry about are moccasins.

Are there any places that would take a rattlesnake if I wanted to get it away from my grandma’s house? I could catch and deliver.

First, Most, Biggest

I saw one behind my house a few months ago… Guy was running down my driveway with a shovel to kill it and I told him to hit the brakes… Behind my house, I have seen: 1 king, 1 black racer, 1 corn snake, 1 large yellow rat snake, 1 baby yellow rat snake, 1 copperhead. These have all been in the last year… I should probably start wearing shoes…

Probably killed off by people that don’t know any better. I haven’t seen one in ages. Actually all I see nowadays is corn, black, and grass.

Only snake I really worry about are moccasins.

Are there any places that would take a rattlesnake if I wanted to get it away from my grandma’s house? I could catch and deliver.

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Seldom see a king snake around anymore. Used to be a lot of them when I was a kid. Wonder what happened to them?

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Good question? Haven’t a clue, but I was just talking with Dad about it and he said He hasn’t seen one in 15 years around his Place. And I’d say it’s been over 12 or so for me and I’m in a lot of different wooded areas from time to time.

I think “chicken” snakes are the most common away from the swamp in our Low Country, (if I had to bet on it). I usually kill 5-6 a year around my chickens. No shortage of those. I’d let them be if they didn’t eat the eggs and kill the little chicks.

I cant see the pic very well fred but that might be a pine snake. Not a king. Either way. Accidents happen. Ive accidentally smashed a couple of snakes on the road over the years myself. And you know how much i dont like snake killing.

My wife came across this little guy yesterday when she was planting collards. The way she screamed you would have thought she encountered a dragon :smiley: I rescued her from the mighty beast. Good looking little king snake, haven’t seen one of these in years either. Released unharmed.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Very cool!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

That one looks like a Milk Snake, King Snake.

You can buy king snakes online. I know guys that have had success putting them to n their barns. We had one on a property for years, about 6 ft last time we saw her and that was a couple years ago. We have killed 8 copper heads since this year and haven’t had one there in 20 years. May get a pair of kings myself next spring!

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by alabamafan2

I cant see the pic very well fred but that might be a pine snake. Not a king. Either way. Accidents happen. Ive accidentally smashed a couple of snakes on the road over the years myself. And you know how much i dont like snake killing.

Picture not good, but when rolled over very obvious with stripping it was a King snake.

I would have thought the one that Lary posted was a Milk Snake, didn’t realize there were King snakes with markings like that.

Larrys pic is definitely an eastern milk snake. Dont see them often at all. Harmless and like the kingsnake it feeds primarily on small snakes lizards and frogs

I think it’s a scarlet king snake, but I’ve been wrong before. My wife says she doesn’t trust it, it speaks with a forked tongue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_kingsnake

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:

I think it’s a scarlet king snake, but I’ve been wrong before. My wife says she doesn’t trust it, it speaks with a forked tongue.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

There’s no yellow in that snake Larry. A Scarlet King mimics the colors of a Coral Snake but in different order.

The Scarlet King in the pic was under a round paver that a cypress knee was pushing up at my place in Florida. At first I wasn’t 100% sure it wasn’t a Coral, so I googled it. The colors on both wrap around the body more, on the snake you found the reds and blacks are more patterned with grey in between.

From what I’ve read and heard, the juveniles have white/gray bands and they turn yellow when the snake matures. I’m not an expert. Do know that red on black is a friendly jack, and red on yellow can kill a fellow. It’s a good snake, whatever it is :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

As much as I dislike snakes, I have to admit I am very under educated in identifying most of them. As much as I hate to admit it, there are some beautiful varieties out there.

quote:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Its more the markings that give it away as a milk larry. Yours has saddles. A scarlet king has bands. They stay pretty small too. The one youre holding is pretty close to adult size.

Thanks for the clarification :sunglasses: I learn something new every day around here!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper