Offshore injury (severe bleeding) last week?

I was diving (yes, in Charleston) thursday and friday. Can’t remember which day (think it was Thursday) and could hear the Coasties asking someone if they were able to “get pressure on the wound” and “stop the bleeding”. Could not hear the other side of the conversation so didn’t get a boat name or anything like that…

Does anyone know the story, or did one of our resident experts just smash their face in the windshield again because they were going to fast in rough seas?

Nope… It was Friday and the PAN PAN was for a commercial ship off of Georgetown. A crewman fell and suffered a severe head injury and they were trying to run into G-town and meet the Coasties small bote with an EMT on board. We listened to them for about an hour.

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

We were on our way in to Winyah Bay from 45 miles out. I think it was the captain that had fallen and was unconcious and bleeding. It was a shrimp boat. CG wanted the boat (Alice Marie I think) to head on into GT Landing where EMS could meet them. The crew member kept telling them that he wasn’t moving the boat and to send a helicopter or boat to pick up the injured crew member. When we got to the inlet the boat was headed in with a CG RIB right beside them.

The crew members dicked around for nearly two hours before they finally headed in to get the man medical attention.

2004 Cape Horn 31
twin yamaha 300 hpdi’s

Cape Horn 24OS Sold!
twin 150 Optimax

I don’t want to be rich,
I just want 1 dollar more than I can spend!

Ah man. Sounds pretty serious. Hopefully everything ended up being okay.

I had a hard time believing the CG when he said that the nearest boat was in Charleston and the helicopter wasn’t an option. He basically told the guy that the best thing he could do was head for GTL.

2004 Cape Horn 31
twin yamaha 300 hpdi’s

Cape Horn 24OS Sold!
twin 150 Optimax

I don’t want to be rich,
I just want 1 dollar more than I can spend!

dang thats crazy.

19’ cc Mako
150 yammy
Bottomz up

I was about 5 mins away from offering assistance. Chunky is a first responder but by the time we got there, the CG was on scene. Hope everyone is okay

Set the trap boys, we going to pass through them again!!

Do we have just the one coast guard helicopter here in Charleston? Or maybe that is even for the whole SC coast. They buzzed me once when I was kayaking in the harbor a few years ago to make sure that I saw the huge water spout (the one what was in the paper) that was right behind me off Daniel island headed towards the Cooper bridge. I’m very glad to have that helo around for when we need it.

I’m not sure what it would take for the GC to dispatch a medivac chopper but by the sounds of this it must be a near death situation. Hate to see anyone suffer for longer then they need to if the means are available to aid assistance.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is protocol if you are 60 miles out and someone needs medical attention. Hope I or any of yall never have to hit that button but … when do they send the calvary. I realize there are many scenarios and conditions but why did they tell them to transport to GT or did I miss something?

Thats going to be a Coast Guard trained situation, Medivac chopper in all situations I have seen or heard dispatch have been an on land situation

Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,
goes home through the alley.
-Anonymous

I had a similar situation happen years ago on one of my charter boats. An elderly client had a stroke while fighting a big AJ about 35 miles off Savannah. They told us that no helo or boat was available to assist us, and for us to meet an EMS ambulance at the Landings Harbor on Skidaway Island, about 40 miles away. They stayed with us on the radio and gave all the medical advice that they could, long distance. My mate and I took turns doing CPR for 2 hours, but unfortunately he died :roll_eyes:

We really can’t expect them to always be available and at our disposal, they have limited resources and other things going on. We need to be able to take care of ourselves out there, and they couldn’t have saved the man anyway. They do a good job with the resources that they have, but if they don’t have them, it’s up to us.

Anyone with a USCG license is required to keep first aid and CPR certifications up to date, but think about it. When you are 50 miles offshore, the only help you can count on is you. Everybody operating a fishing vessel 3 hours from land should have basic first aid and CPR training. Life or death is usually measured in minutes, not hours It’s real easy to get hurt out there.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats
Marine Surveying & Repair

and this type of stuff is why i sometimes berate people on here for bottles on board or dangerous gaff use or taking a boat of rookies to the far side for swordfish glory.

there needs to be a second person capable of rendering aid and operating the boat and electronics on board for every offshore trip.

OUR GOVERNMENT HAS BECOME THE ENEMY OF FREEDOM.

quote:
Originally posted by Opps_lost

I’m not sure what it would take for the GC to dispatch a medivac chopper but by the sounds of this it must be a near death situation. Hate to see anyone suffer for longer then they need to if the means are available to aid assistance.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

Maybe it was the way it was called in... By definition a "PAN PAN" constitutes an "urgent" situation, but does not constitute a life or death situation (MAYDAY)...
quote:
Originally posted by Jazzed

Please excuse my ignorance but what is protocol if you are 60 miles out and someone needs medical attention. Hope I or any of yall never have to hit that button but … when do they send the calvary. I realize there are many scenarios and conditions but why did they tell them to transport to GT or did I miss something?

Life or death, imminent danger = MAYDAY on CH 16... "Urgent" but NOT life or death, = PAN PAN ("Pon Pon")...
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Habit

and this type of stuff is why i sometimes berate people on here for bottles on board or dangerous gaff use or taking a boat of rookies to the far side for swordfish glory.

there needs to be a second person capable of rendering aid and operating the boat and electronics on board for every offshore trip.

OUR GOVERNMENT HAS BECOME THE ENEMY OF FREEDOM.

I think this is a good point… where/how is a good way to go about taking a CPR course and learning some basic first aid?

That is a excellent point BH brings up for sure. What could be deemed as a medical “inconvience” in inshore waters can be a life threatining one offshore.
Preparedness and experience all add up to being self reliant on the open ocean.

Russ B.
www.joinrfa.org
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

http://www.facebook.com/RussbMaritimeServices

When in doubt MAYDAY it out!!!

I think this is a good point… where/how is a good way to go about taking a CPR course and learning some basic first aid?
[/quote]

Check this out Chris:

http://lowcountryredcross.org/v.php?pg=176

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

www.joinrfa.org/

Red cross and fire departments usually have classes.

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16