Offshore Oil Drilling Discussion Panel Thursday

If you want a say in the future of your coastal waters, then this is one event you won?t want to miss.

This Thursday, January 29, the Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce will host an Offshore Drilling Panel Presentation to discuss the prospect of seismic blasting and offshore drilling for oil off the South Carolina coast. We have reason to believe that Big Oil will use this opportunity to mislead residents and public officials about the benefits and impacts of drilling.

And that?s why I need you there with me! Join me and other Oceana Wavemakers as we make our presence known at this potentially game-changing event if you make it one. Bring signs, questions and friends. The first 50 Wavemakers to show up will receive their own Oceana t-shirt. Oceana?s Climate and Energy Campaign Director Claire Douglass is also flying down to join us.

What: Offshore Drilling Panel Presentation

When: Thursday, January 29, 2015, from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.

Where: Technical College of the Lowcountry Auditorium, 921 Ribaut Road, Building 12, Beaufort, S.C.

Cost: FREE

The future of the greater Beaufort, South Carolina area and the waters off its coast are on the line. Seismic blasting threatens to injure as many as 138,000 dolphins and whales off the East Coast. And then if drilling begins, South Carolina could be susceptible to oil spills that could tarnish and degrade our coastal ecosystem, threatening marine wildlife as well as our coastal communities that depend on industries like tourism and fishing.

Please, join me next Thursday in taking a stand for our community and our ocean.

19ft. Carolina Skiff
w/115hp Yamaha 4stroke
27ft. Contender
w/twin 225hp Yamaha 4stroke

You are mistaken if you believe that Oceana deals in truth and facts.

I am more afraid of them using the spectre of drilling as an excuse to “bargain with big oil” to close down areas to ALL FISHING and ALL DRILLING as a trophy to take their benefactors from their wars on drilling and fishing than I am worried about damage done by the oil and gas companies. Natural gas and liquefied natural gas is what we have off our coast, and the real threat is from onshore infrastructure’s affect on estuarian habitats just like any other development.

The seismic testing has been going on in the Gulf for decades, and the permit has already been granted for testing in the S. Atlantic.

Oceana has lost all credibility with fisheries managers and fishermen, so you may want to consider the recent past before believing their propaganda or that which they may have gotten local groups to peddle for them via their grants.

Let’s focus on the real threats that we can do something about instead of being mislead by International astro turfing groups.

http://www.sustainablefishing.org/

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

Thanks for the info. Phin. I’m largely uninformed on this. Should I even bother to show up for this? If so, can you please list a couple of questions or points I should make? Oil platforms are fish magnets. So on the surface, I’m in favor of more structure. Especially given the fact that the Nave platforms are scheduled to be dismantled in the next couple of years.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,

19ft. Carolina Skiff
w/115hp Yamaha 4stroke
27ft. Contender

I just saw on the offshore discussion that this topic has blown up. My queations will probably be answered there. Anyone interested in this please go there.

19ft. Carolina Skiff
w/115hp Yamaha 4stroke
27ft. Contender

You boys need to pull out your South Carolina Wildlife of November/December 1974 and reread the artical by Tom Baxter, OFFSHORE OIL! THis was big news 40 years ago! READ!!!