Ogeechee & Ossabaw Area

We are heading down to the Savannah area and I was wondering how the fishing is along these areas? Are there some near-shore reefs and live bottom areas to wet a line–and possibly catch something? Generally how’s the boating in the area? Saw there was some tarpon in the area, but don’t think we are equipped for that. Thanks for your thoughts.

220 Outrage
250 Verado

quote:
Originally posted by chasvalve

We are heading down to the Savannah area and I was wondering how the fishing is along these areas? Are there some near-shore reefs and live bottom areas to wet a line–and possibly catch something? Generally how’s the boating in the area? Saw there was some tarpon in the area, but don’t think we are equipped for that. Thanks for your thoughts.

220 Outrage
250 Verado

If your comfortable with your boat and the ocean, you can fish the L/J/CCA reefs and are about 15-20 miles off Ossabaw. KC is about 5 miles. Hells Gate by Racoon Key is a challenge as are most of the waters around here. Before GPS, I've run aground in more than a few places...and since GPS. Comes back to comfort level and safety. Tarpon are here and can be caught in between the sharks. If you can snell a hook, you might catch one in the sounds around the bars(safety). Spanish should be around the beaches and sounds...look for birds. Be careful and let someone know where you are going. Good luck and sorry about the late reply. I didn't see the date. Bring some vinegar if you plan on swimming...jelly fish treatment.

What MDaddy said. That’s where I grew up. Lots of good fishing inshore and off. It’s real easy to get stuck inshore though.

If you’re planning on fishing offshore 5- 30 miles I’ll give you some good numbers that I’ll never fish again. PM me with an email address.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

What MDaddy said. That’s where I grew up. Lots of good fishing inshore and off. It’s real easy to get stuck inshore though.

If you’re planning on fishing offshore 5- 30 miles I’ll give you some good numbers that I’ll never fish again. PM me with an email address.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

How do you know you'll never fish those numbers again? You might come visit here at Crackerville(fitting) and show me those numbers.