Ol Kat fishing team 5/2 (pics and video)

MayMay, Pallet, Chunky Dunk, and the G-Man headed out Wednesday aboard the Split Decision to catch some of the off shore action. The Double play followed boarded with Big Easy, BrDicky, and Handyman Tom. They fished with us last Sunday when and felt like they had some unfinished business. Bad day to be a dolphin. MayMay took some incredible video and tons photos. The total video is 7.5 mins but I can only get 5 to upload. I will work on that. I told them I would help them post.

They left GT at 5 and were greeted with a little chop but nothing the cats could not handle. Lines in at 7:00 and had non-stop action all day. MayMay worked the camera while Chunky, G-Man, and Pallet worked the spread.
16 Dolphin
2 Wahoo
1 King
1 Marlin hook up.

Double Play ended up with:
16 dolphin
1 Black fin
1 Bonita

Highlights:
Right after lunch a day maker blue Marlin slammed the center flat line rigged with a bleeding dolphin and began putting on a show. Unfortunately he threw the hook after a few minutes and nearly spooling a penn 113.

Crew thought the day was over but after all lines were back in place. The spread went down , yes all 10 rods!! 3 anglers, MaeMae on the camera and 10 on. Boated 8!!

Pallet had a reel malfunction on one of our reels and had to thumb one in. (I just put in an order for 10 new reels today, this is getting old.:angry:)

Hot baits, Ribazon red and blue. LEHI bleeding dolphin, blue/white, pink/white.

Great day for them sorry I missed it. But some of us have to work for a living.:wink:

[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g208/scoth

SWEET! nice video too!

…but it’s a flat bottom!

nice.

“Can’t take it with you when you die.”

22’ Key West
200 Yamaha HPDI

Great pictures! Nice work on handling a full spread knockdown!

that’s awesome. What I want to know though is how’d ya’ll decide who got stuck on camera duty?

KeyWest15

great day guys whereabouts were y’all fishing. How deep was it.

20’ Key West CC 140 Johnson

“Can you swim 5 miles, “No”, Than what is the difference in 5 miles and 50 miles”

quote:
Originally posted by tlread

great day guys whereabouts were y’all fishing. How deep was it.

20’ Key West CC 140 Johnson

“Can you swim 5 miles, “No”, Than what is the difference in 5 miles and 50 miles”

They were alittle north of the GT hole. We caught them in 350feet on Sunday I am sure they were close to that but I will confirm with Chunky Dunk.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming–WOW–What a ride!!!”
-Stuart Wilde-
All Rise - 31 Contender Fish Around with a pair of 250 Yamahas

How many shots did it take on that last one to stick the hook in him?

Hey guys, I don’t care what no one says…that was a great day and I really enjoyed the video…that was cool!!!Congrats on a great day!!!:sunglasses:

MICHAEL L SMITH

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

How many shots did it take on that last one to stick the hook in him?

A bunch! They had there share of misses but the gaff pulled through the fish a few times as well. May not be pretty but they put him in the box and that is all that really counts.:wink:

-Stuart Wilde-

perfect song choice. great vid. & pix.

That’s alot of meat!!!

Great day fishing and good camera work. Congrats.

www.justonemoresportfishing.com

great report,

I love your video, you guys did a great job keep all those lines from tangle up,

question for you: after you have a double or triple hook up, how fast do you keep the boat moving?

Fernando

As slow as it will go until the fish start to catch up.

quote:
Originally posted by fvalenciagr

great report,

I love your video, you guys did a great job keep all those lines from tangle up,

question for you: after you have a double or triple hook up, how fast do you keep the boat moving?

Fernando

Typically back off to 2-3 knots and try to keep the boat straight. You want to force the fish to swim facing toward the boat. This also lets you keep part of the spread out and working if the school were to approach. Be care not to get a tangled mess. Also keeping some forward speed makes gaffing a whole lot easier. You may not know that looking at the video though.:smiley:

A few times last week we did not ever slow down when the fish were smaller. If you can get on top of them quickly and get that skiing motion going with the dolphin we were able to boat some very quickly and never touch the rest of the spread.

-Stuart Wilde-

Just alittle advice that I had to learn on my own when it comes to gaff operations. You will be more successful if you use a small gaff at the boat and a long larger gaff for assisting the fish in the boat if needed. I made a homemade small gaff out of the main part of a bream buster, one small stainless bolt and nut and a 16/0 hook with the barb ground down. Once you get your hook mounted then you can wrap and superglue it to the pole. It is light quick, fast and easy. It is about 4 ft. long. I use it to gaff slingers and lip grouper at the boat.

268 CC KeyWest F150 Yamahas Hook-N-Up

quote:
Originally posted by HENRY

Just alittle advice that I had to learn on my own when it comes to gaff operations. You will be more successful if you use a small gaff at the boat and a long larger gaff for assisting the fish in the boat if needed. I made a homemade small gaff out of the main part of a bream buster, one small stainless bolt and nut and a 16/0 hook with the barb ground down. Once you get your hook mounted then you can wrap and superglue it to the pole. It is light quick, fast and easy. It is about 4 ft. long. I use it to gaff slingers and lip grouper at the boat.

268 CC KeyWest F150 Yamahas Hook-N-Up

:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

Funny you should say that. Pallet and Chunky Dunk are in Charleston right now trying to find a shorter more stout gaff.

-Stuart Wilde-

Good vid and good times on the pond guys!We use a 2"x6’ gaff on most dolphin.8 out of 10 is a fantastic feat.That’s good enough gaffing for me!:smiley:

“Give war a chance!”

I use this one. We try for head

shots.

“Double Play”
26’ Glacier Bay
Honda 150’s