Old folks working

I go to Lowe’s and home Depot quite often. Most everyone working in there 60 plus years old. I pretty much don’t ask for help loading. I feel bad when a 70 year old guys comes out to help me load 5/8 sheetrock. Whatever happened to our workforce.& What about high School kids working after school & weekends. Does everybody get a check or what???

I mentioned the same thing to my wife the other day at Lowe’s. Lots of old foggies in there. I assume they are there for the supplemental medical insurance to whatever they already have. Its sad; maybe by the time I retire we’ll have free healthcare like the Canadians!!!

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I just hired back an 82 year old man for this growing season, he retired for the 3rd time last august. I have not been able to find anyone who wants to work since he retired, most everyone that comes in to “apply” for a job wants me to sign their sheet for the unemployment office that says they are hunting a job and be on down the road. It’s only going to get worse.

I think a lot of old folks that work at lowes and home depot are military retirees getting their time in so they can draw social security.

They have to work to support todays privileged grand-kids.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I mentioned the same thing to my wife the other day at Lowe’s. Lots of old foggies in there. I assume they are there for the supplemental medical insurance to whatever they already have. Its sad; maybe by the time I retire we’ll have free healthcare like the Canadians!!!

[

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Careful what you wish for. My niece over in England tore her ACL and needs surgery. They told her it would be 11 month before they could do anything. They have opted to come to America and pay out of pocket to get it fixed.

I think the parents are catering too much to our young kids and they don’t have to work as much as many of the older generation did and they just don’t have the work ethic instilled in them. “Hey mom/dad/Grandma/Grandpa, Credit card is maxed, I need some more for this semester.”

Hey, easy on that “old folk” talk. I’ll have 32 years in next month. I plan on working at my present job until the end of the year and then I will start looking at retirement options. I do not want to completely retire. I’d like to work 3-4 days a week, I just don’t know doing what. I have a neighbor that is 60ish. He is a retired Army Colonel and he works PT at Lowes. He said he just wasn’t ready to get up and do nothing everyday. That is me. The only way I could get up everyday and do nothing would be if I was rich and could travel……………I won’t be so. I’d imagine they are all working for different reasons.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I find that the older they are, typically the more helpful and knowledgeable they are. In general, Lowes workers don’t seem to know much about anything, especially the younger ones.

I bought my last grill there. After purchase the woman said, “are you going to find someone to help you load it up?”. I said “No I’m not, you are going to find someone to help me.” In the end, I had to get someone nice customer in the parking lot to help.

To tell the truth, and I hate to say it, if Walmart, Amazon, or the TruValu on Folly sold lumber, I would never walk into a Lowes again.

Narcosis

My parents are 70 & 72 & both work full time. My dad travels the state selling collision repair equipment & my mom sells real estate. They said they aren’t ready to retire. Since they work for themselves they can travel etc when they want.

21 Contender

Before I retire and owned a constrution co. I tried to only hire experenced workers which is hard to say but all have some age on them. Younger worker always are changing jobs and very few never learning a trade! If it wern’t for the Hispanics I could not of made it!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Before I retire and owned a constrution co. I tried to only hire experenced workers which is hard to say but all have some age on them. Younger worker always are changing jobs and very few never learning a trade! If it wern’t for the Hispanics I could not of made it!

Ding ding ding! Grocery stores and retail stores can hire a 22 year old who will be late and leave the team hanging. Not show up and leave the team hanging. Call out and leave the team hanging. Quit with no notice and leave the team hanging. Their seems to be no accountability to a bigger purpose. The “me first” mentality is prevailing. Older members of our work force will usually treat their employer with enough respect to not pull any of that BS. I know which one I would hire.

The second part of the OP sentence is going to bite everyone in the ass soon. We’re not gonna have anyone that knows how to fix roofs, plumbing, electric, grow vegetables or run restaurants in about two decades. Driving for Uber is no long term plan for a family. Hope I’m wrong but this is what I’m seeing.

Karma is 360 degrees

“If fishing were easy it would be called your mom”

Old guys have to do something (a) to stay in shape (b) to keep from going insane. So that just leaves (a) really.

Capt. Garry Coats
Folly Beach & CHS
@DolphinChartersSC

A lot of the older folks also lost their retirement plans to the Bernie Madoffs in this world and /or the great recession of 2008. Not all of them just want something to do- some must work.

Retiring is not a quick decision to just quit. The items that are important are financial capability, emotional stability and activity.

Can you afford it and live the life style you want? It may require a financial adjustment, are you willing to do that? Financial planning takes years, can’t start a right before retirement.

Are you ready to separate from the people you’ve been around for years? That is emotional and some separations are harder than others.

Last is activity. Some are happy with TV and reading, others need more. Do you have a hobby or some other set of activities that you enjoy?

Everyone I’ve known that didn’t consider these issues before leaving is unhappy and doing things to just stay busy.

I’ll be exiting this year and am ready. Financially able to do what I want to do, have plenty of hobbies and a couple part time jobs that I love if I want. I’ll be doing plenty of charity work with the Boy Scouts working at Camp, hunting, fishing and traveling.

It takes planning. Learned this lesson from my dad.

He sold his business and moved to Sun City in Beaufort. After a few weeks I called him up and asked him if he wanted to go fishing Monday afternoon. I have customers in the area and would take the afternoon off after a couple customer visits. He said. “No I’m playing golf with my buddies.” Dad, that’s great, glad to know you made some friends.

Couple weeks later same conversation. Let’s play golf Tuesday afternoon. “No, can’t, going fishing with my buddies.” Oh the same ones you play golf with. “No. it’s a different group.” That’s great, enjoy yourself, talk later.

This happens four times so I asked - Dad, exactly how do I get on your schedule? "It’s simple; On Mondays I play golf, on Tuesdays I either fish or hunt, on Wednesday it’s the honey-do list, on Thursday play golf, and Friday hunt or fish. So I asked him what he does on the weekends? “I just goof off.”

That was a well-planned retirement.

Pioneer 197SF

Your Dad has the retirement plan I someday hope for. Good for him!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Also, I think working at Lowes or HD would be fun… kinda like a kid in a toy store… so many folks out there appreciate advice when/if it’s good!

Capt. Garry Coats
Folly Beach & CHS
@DolphinChartersSC

I’ve been retired for 11 years now! Never have time to do all the things I want to! The Lord blessed me with the insite to create a retirement plan so i did not have to cut back on my way of living.
Other then my bad heart, gout, prostrate, eyes, hearing, arthritis, faciatis,ED, life is good!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

I’ve been retired for 11 years now! Never have time to do all the things I want to! The Lord blessed me with the insite to create a retirement plan so i did not have to cut back on my way of living.
Other then my bad heart, gout, prostrate, eyes, hearing, arthritis, faciatis,ED, life is good!

This side of the dirt...it's all good.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

What qualifies one as an ‘old fogey’ ?

I don’t know. the older I get. The older you got to be to be an old fogey

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.