Old folks working

quote:
Originally posted by Off the chain

I don’t know. the older I get. The older you got to be to be an old fogey

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

I like it! I’ve got a new helper about 20 years my junior, Hard worker and pretty funny. We like a lot of the same music and both like listing to Mark Levin. I can almost out work him, and he gives me hope for our youth. I won’t be old until I’m dead. Humor does a lot to help relieve the stress of so many pizz poor young pieces of worthlessness that just don’t want to work do to an entitlement mindset.

Makes me wonder if some believe people are suppose to do nothing as they age? I hope not. Dad will be 84 in a few days and has corn up, potatoes that have been hit by frost 3 times, sweet peas, beautiful carrots, Kale, onions, and a few other items carefully tended to in his garden! If I’m not useful at something as I get older, What good would I be? I’ll work till I die as my father will do. GOD BLESS OUR OLDER GENERATION!!

I know a number of companies in several industries that are actively looking for people who are over 45 only. The younger people have no work ethic, no sense of work pride, and they are stupid as a brick. Let’s face it you can’t expect companies to invest major money in fixing your mistakes ad trying to get you to grow up. Want to be mad, go home and be mad with your parents who failed you by not slapping the xbox out of your hand and making you go do something productive.

Can anyone under the age of 45 answer what these mean?
“3,4,5 will always get you home.”
“1 shovel of …, 2 shovel of …, 3 shovel of …”
“Pie R …, Pie R not …”

quote:
Originally posted by jipride

The second part of the OP sentence is going to bite everyone in the ass soon. We’re not gonna have anyone that knows how to fix roofs, plumbing, electric, grow vegetables or run restaurants in about two decades. Driving for Uber is no long term plan for a family. Hope I’m wrong but this is what I’m seeing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Why are manhole covers round?

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Most young people do not know the difference in a screwdriver and hammer,work ethic is not in their vocabulary and getting dirty is beyond them. I agree soon there will be no qualified or skilled workers. When I was younger I could do a lot of little handy fixiings now I have the knowledge but am to crippled up to do it.

But we can get an education in philosophy, or some other liberal arts. Get buried up to there eyes in debt from student loans. And then it’s poor me. I can’t find a job. & unwilling to do anything else.https://youtu.be/eSFRYtR4l6w

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

quote:
Originally posted by jipride
quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Before I retire and owned a constrution co. I tried to only hire experenced workers which is hard to say but all have some age on them. Younger worker always are changing jobs and very few never learning a trade! If it wern’t for the Hispanics I could not of made it!

Ding ding ding! Grocery stores and retail stores can hire a 22 year old who will be late and leave the team hanging. Not show up and leave the team hanging. Call out and leave the team hanging. Quit with no notice and leave the team hanging. Their seems to be no accountability to a bigger purpose. The “me first” mentality is prevailing. Older members of our work force will usually treat their employer with enough respect to not pull any of that BS. I know which one I would hire.

The second part of the OP sentence is going to bite everyone in the ass soon. We’re not gonna have anyone that knows how to fix roofs, plumbing, electric, grow vegetables or run restaurants in about two decades. Driving for Uber is no long term plan for a family. Hope I’m wrong but this is what I’m seeing.

Karma is 360 degrees

“If fishing were easy it would be called your mom”

Run Restaurants … They don’t want restaurants they want food trucks or to be a Chef on a private yacht!!!
I love when they go to culinary school for 4 years with an A.A. in culinary arts and a B.S. in Food Service Manangement and never once have they stepped foot in a kitchen but want to be your sous chef writing your menu for you…

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West

OK Reelshock I will give it a try.

345 will get you home. That’s how you check for a square floor.
1 shovel, cement, 2 shovels stone, 3 shovels sand make concrete
Pie are round corn bread are square

ZX

I love how this conversation always comes up… I’m 34… technically a “millenial” though I don’t see it that way… I’ve never been one single day without a job since I was 15… at times i’ve had 3 or more jobs… Currently just the one, but I pull 50+ hours a week. All my buddies… aged from mid 20’s to my age… all work at least full time if not more.

My generation does work hard… and yes, some of us work hard at jobs that don’t require us to know hammers from screw drivers… but how many of you hard ass old timers on here complaining can reprogram a computer, or even follow along in a conversation about e-commerce, graphic design, or any of the other tech driven jobs out there… (neither can I BTW i’m not a tech guy… just an example.)

I know some worthless old timers too… so please stop judging all us “young” guys by a few dirtbags you happen to have run across…

And P.S… that old timer working in Lowes may be there because he made terrible life decisions and has no choice but to work till hes dead… Being old doesn’t mean he has great work ethic, or is wise, or has any form of qualifications whatsoever… it just means he’s old…

I feel better now… carry on…

Mad Mike

Just because you don’t like what I tell you, don’t mean it aint true…

I love how this conversation always comes up… I’m 34… technically a “millenial” though I don’t see it that way… I’ve never been one single day without a job since I was 15… at times i’ve had 3 or more jobs… Currently just the one, but I pull 50+ hours a week. All my buddies… aged from mid 20’s to my age… all work at least full time if not more.

My generation does work hard… and yes, some of us work hard at jobs that don’t require us to know hammers from screw drivers… but how many of you hard ass old timers on here complaining can reprogram a computer, or even follow along in a conversation about e-commerce, graphic design, or any of the other tech driven jobs out there… (neither can I BTW i’m not a tech guy… just an example.)

I know some worthless old timers too… so please stop judging all us “young” guys by a few dirtbags you happen to have run across…

And P.S… that old timer working in Lowes may be there because he made terrible life decisions and has no choice but to work till hes dead… Being old doesn’t mean he has great work ethic, or is wise, or has any form of qualifications whatsoever… it just means he’s old…

Mad Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Mike

Mad Mike

Birds of a feather tend to ■■■■■ together. Sounds like you have a good group of hard working friends! I agree their are many “old” timers that aint worth spit, but I still think our younger generation… 18-28ish are more entitlement minded than any other generation in U.S. history. Maybe some of the more educated ones are worse… Seems many think experience comes from going to college and they seem to have a chip on their shoulder for being told what to do. College gave me some fundamentals

I was more or less talking about why all the old farts are working & don’t see any high School age kids working. I remember back in the day.I had to walk to school and back uphill both ways. In the snow. And had to plow the back 40 & milk the cows. before I went to school.then when I got home I had to chop wood. No but seriously. Life is tough. Every generation has its own hurdles. I myself am 55. Pretty much most my life. I lived for the day. No ragrets. didn’t ever really think about getting old.(Ride hard. die Young. leave a beautiful corpse) haha.Fortunately. my home and all my toys are paid for. And I do have a little money in the bank.Worked construction all my life(same job 34 years) and never made no real big money. And if I did I probably would be in the same boat. just more and nicer toys. I most likely will end up working most of my life. Maybe end up at Lowe’s. Haha And as far as high-tech stuff. I was proud of myself when I figured out how to post on this forum. I was really proud of myself when I figured out how to copy and paste. Life is what you make it. Life is good. And yes every generation has its nerdy wells.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

I was more or less talking about why all the old farts are working & don’t see any high School age kids working. I remember back in the day.I had to walk to school and back uphill both ways. In the snow. And had to plow the back 40 & milk the cows. before I went to school.then when I got home I had to chop wood. No but seriously. Life is tough. Every generation has its own hurdles. I myself am 55. Pretty much most my life. I lived for the day. No ragrets. didn’t ever really think about getting old.(Ride hard. die Young. leave a beautiful corpse) haha.Fortunately. my home and all my toys are paid for. And I do have a little money in the bank.Worked construction all my life(same job 34 years) and never made no real big money. And if I did I probably would be in the same boat. just more and nicer toys. I most likely will end up working most of my life. Maybe end up at Lowe’s. Haha And as far as high-tech stuff. I was proud of myself when I figured out how to post on this forum. I was really proud of myself when I figured out how to copy and paste. Life is what you make it. Life is good. And yes every generation has its nerdy wells.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

quote:

Mad Mike

THANK YOU. It’s funny how blind these old men are to history repeating itself (aka cross generation *****ing) and have no idea how little they know about how much of the world (computers) works nowadays. Things aint how they used to be and by the time I’m and old man (30 now) robots might do all the hammering and screwing for us anyway. And I know a thing or two about this as I’ve been in commercial construction since I left college.

In my experience the 45-60 year old range are the ones who need to

quote:

Mad Mike

THANK YOU. It’s funny how blind these old men are to history repeating itself (aka cross generation *****ing) and have no idea how little they know about how much of the world (computers) works nowadays. Things aint how they used to be and by the time I’m and old man (30 now) robots might do all the hammering and screwing for us anyway. And I know a thing or two about this as I’ve been in commercial construction since I left college.

In my experience the 45-60 year old range are the ones who need to

I know at least 5 people who worked at Lowe’s who are worth more than a few million! They all never had any higher education and went to work at the bottom after high school! Worked there way up and took advantage of the great programs Lows offered in the old days! Some retired in there early 50’s

I know at least 5 people who worked at Lowe’s who are worth more than a few million! They all never had any higher education and went to work at the bottom after high school! Worked there way up and took advantage of the great programs Lows offered in the old days! Some retired in there early 50’s

I have a neighbor, retired Army Col and USMA grad, in short, a pretty sharp guy He works PT at Lowes just for something to do. According to him, a crappy work ethic isn’t something just young folks suffer from. Finding ANYONE that truly wants to work these days isn’t easy. That being said, some companies do little to make folks want to invest in a company. Listening to my neighbor as well as my brother who worked at a Lowes for a while, its a wonder they can get anyone to stay there.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

In my experience the 45-60 year old range are the ones who need to tighten up. The senior members of my teams have been in that range and almost all of them were worthless. They had no idea what was going on with our projects and either spent time trying to plan their private travel schedule, run side hustles, or doing hard drugs.

First, Most, Biggest

You sound kind of bitter? Never seen those mass 45-60 year olds doing the hard drugs. Guess it’s just a matter of who you hang with.

Let me know when they come up with that framing, roofing, sheetrock, painting, and finishing robot.

Robots my ass,my side hurts from laughing. I’m still waiting on my jet pack.haha https://youtu.be/r1SCu9yiBlo?list=PLcWKLjIDJzWheWrCVUNpfdNKPuV97Bcpb