oyster roast steel tray help - follow up question

I need to find some place where I can buy a piece of steel for roasting oysters over a wood fire. A nice thick piece that will handle the heat. Anyone have any ideas of where I can get a piece?

Thanks!!

The nearest scrap metal yard.Not sure where you’re at but Charleston steel and scrap metal on new 52 between Goose Creek and Moncks Corner would have it.Garfinkel if you’re near the city.

I have had great service from Field’s Ornamental Iron on Cross County Road. If the material ya want is in stock they may cut it while ya wait.

Old car hood turned upside down over the fire, and wet burlap sack(s) on top of the oysters…

RBF

RBF what color work best?

Hard to beat old school, finding burlap bag these days might be harder than finding the steel. I would pass on the car hood, not thick enough for holding heat and burnt auto paint infused oysters does not sound too appetizing. Parks salvage yard in Red Top May have some scrap plate steel if you are on the south side of town.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

It’s RBF…blue, of course. :wink:

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Hood from a smaller car is better than a larger car. Color doesn’t matter. Paint burns off pretty quick. If it was bad for you, I’d have been dead a long time ago.

I have ate steak cooked on a car hood before, hell I cooked ribs on a bicycle rim one time.
Check feed & seed stores for a sack, may have some laying around.

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick
quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

It’s RBF…blue, of course. :wink:

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Midnight Blue…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRdgIZgobs

Had a '79 Camaro that was midnight blue when I was in HS. Souped it up with a '69 350 with double hump heads, etc… Man that thing would run like a scalded dog. Had Cragar SS wheels and window tint you couldn’t see through… Beautiful ride that the ladies loved… Thanks for bringing back the memories BS…:smiley:

RBF

HAHA!!! Glad I could help!

BTW, good call on the Cragar SS’s. So classic muscle!

agree with Sman, that’s where I got mine. I went stainless.
They charge by the pound and put a magnet on it to make sure.
It’s like a graveyard of closed restaurants.

I got the clean burlap bags from the True Value up there.
I actually forgot what they shipped in them, but they are just laying around.

“No… it’s okay, I know the way out…”

quote:

I thought I was the $chitz riding around in that thing sporting a leather members only jacket, 501 button fly jeans, and cowboy boots… The only thing missing for me was to have a mullet, and my parents leaving me the day we visited the grand canyon…

RBF

Wal-Mart has burlap in the fabric section…

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

I thought I was the $chitz riding around in that thing sporting a leather members only jacket, 501 button fly jeans, and cowboy boots… The only thing missing for me was to have a mullet, and my parents leaving me the day we visited the grand canyon…

RBF

LMAO!!! The only thing that would’ve made that better is if they were acid washed 501 button fly jeans!!LOL!!

thanks for the replies!! EVEN THE OFF-TOPIC ONES!!:smiley:

quote:
quote:
quote:

RBF

LMAO!!! The only thing that would’ve made that better is if they were acid washed 501 button fly jeans!!LOL!!

They were stonewashed…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKa_uQCz3Hw

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

Isn’t staying on-topic in the off-topic forum an oxymoron…:smiley:

RBF

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

Isn’t staying on-topic in the off-topic forum an oxymoron…:smiley:

RBF

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that!!!

OK, so I’m going to buy a 3 ft x 3 ft steel plate from Field’s ornamental on cross county road. Another question for you all…how thick should it be?